Eric Garner....SMH

2»

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    So is this a white cop problem? Or all cop problem?
    Are black cops enraged by the poor field performance of their white colleagues?

I think it's a cop problem, which to me is poor training and an Us vs. Them mentality.

However, AAs seem to be bearing the brunt of the problem, and have for as long as I can recall.

• Bon Vivant said:
    BallzDeep said:
    So is this a white cop problem? Or all cop problem?
    Are black cops enraged by the poor field performance of their white colleagues?

I think it's a cop problem, which to me is poor training and an Us vs. Them mentality.

However, AAs seem to be bearing the brunt of the problem, and have for as long as I can recall.

I agree about the lack of training. I was reading an article a while ago - probably in the NYT - that was explaining how a large percentage of police do not work in the neighbourhood, or even town, where they reside. This disconnect from the local community fosters and reinforces the us vs them dichotomy. It's an interesting take on the subject. The dissolution of real communities is, imho, one of the most pernicious downsides to our modern way of life. Whether it's long commutes to work, or online communities substituting for real ones, humanity is fragmented in all sorts of new, shitty ways. The cracks are starting to work their way to the foundation of "The American Dream."

• Dickwidth said:
    Do you guys see a pattern here? If you make a bad decision and physically resist arrest you may be injured it killed.

Abide the law and all will be fine.

I'm unfamiliar with the law against Picking Up A Toy Gun In Walmart While Black.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Stacks,

Thanks for the honest and thoughtful post about Sir Charles comments in the other thread. While Barkley’s statements were over simplistic and too generalized, he made some good points that if made by someone like me would be considered racist(by mostly other white people).

Here are my thoughts on the Eric Garner case…..

New York has become the most authoritarian city in our nation passing ridiculous laws from the size of the soft drink you can buy to arresting people for selling a fucking cigarette. They have 32,000 police officers charged with enforcing these petty laws making their duty to “serve and protect” more like micromanagement. Instead of focusing on the training and important issues they have officers arresting a dude 30 times for the same stupid offense. The cost to the taxpayers alone, in a tax strapped city, is utter bullshit.

Any and every time there is a police officer that kills an unarmed civilian there should be an indictment and a jury trial. This type of transparency needs to be implemented in every level of our government if they want the trust and support of the people. On the flip side the results of these trials have to be accepted as fair regardless of the outcome. No Justice System is perfect but skirting the system is unacceptable.

As citizens we also have to have some responsibility and accountability. If you are knowingly breaking a law you have to be prepared to pay the consequences. Being continuously caught breaking the same, albeit stupid law, is inexcusable. But after being arrested 30 times you should have figured out that arguing, resisting or confronting the police is just asking for trouble. Any adult, of any race, who doesn’t understand this is an idiot.

Our media and politicians thrive on these types of stories and fan the flames for financial and political gain. In the last five years there have been over 70,000 homicides in our country and every single victim has a family and friends that will grievingly miss them. The great majority of them were innocent victims whose lives were just as important and sacred as Eric Garner’s. There should be outrage and protests for every single one of these murdered victims. Only certain murders carry political and financial cache, and that is sad. As one NYC protestors sign read…”Homicide is Homicide”

If there was a narrative that this was a “racist” action against Mr. Garner it was helped by the media who either mistakenly or purposefully left out the fact that the Sergeant in charge at the Garner incident was a black female. I read at least 50 articles on this incident with no mention of this whatsoever, hard to believe this was just an oversight when race was mentioned in a good majority of those articles. If done purposefully to fit a certain narrative shame on them.

It was heartening to see the peaceful and non-destructive protests in NYC. I agree with Chuckles that those who protest by destroying and stealing the property of others are scumbags. The bottom line is that the politicians who make and enforce ridiculous laws and overly protect the government employees who enforce them are the only ones that can make changes in the system. Hopefully they will recognize this and make the appropriate changes, or at least attempt to.

• Nice, Rock

• Rockadelic said:
    Stacks,

Thanks for the honest and thoughtful post about Sir Charles comments in the other thread. While Barkley’s statements were over simplistic and too generalized, he made some good points that if made by someone like me would be considered racist(by mostly other white people).

Here are my thoughts on the Eric Garner case…..

New York has become the most authoritarian city in our nation passing ridiculous laws from the size of the soft drink you can buy to arresting people for selling a fucking cigarette. They have 32,000 police officers charged with enforcing these petty laws making their duty to “serve and protect” more like micromanagement. Instead of focusing on the training and important issues they have officers arresting a dude 30 times for the same stupid offense. The cost to the taxpayers alone, in a tax strapped city, is utter bullshit.

Any and every time there is a police officer that kills an unarmed civilian there should be an indictment and a jury trial. This type of transparency needs to be implemented in every level of our government if they want the trust and support of the people. On the flip side the results of these trials have to be accepted as fair regardless of the outcome. No Justice System is perfect but skirting the system is unacceptable.

As citizens we also have to have some responsibility and accountability. If you are knowingly breaking a law you have to be prepared to pay the consequences. Being continuously caught breaking the same, albeit stupid law, is inexcusable. But after being arrested 30 times you should have figured out that arguing, resisting or confronting the police is just asking for trouble. Any adult, of any race, who doesn’t understand this is an idiot.

Our media and politicians thrive on these types of stories and fan the flames for financial and political gain. In the last five years there have been over 70,000 homicides in our country and every single victim has a family and friends that will grievingly miss them. The great majority of them were innocent victims whose lives were just as important and sacred as Eric Garner’s. There should be outrage and protests for every single one of these murdered victims. Only certain murders carry political and financial cache, and that is sad. As one NYC protestors sign read…”Homicide is Homicide”

If there was a narrative that this was a “racist” action against Mr. Garner it was helped by the media who either mistakenly or purposefully left out the fact that the Sergeant in charge at the Garner incident was a black female. I read at least 50 articles on this incident with no mention of this whatsoever, hard to believe this was just an oversight when race was mentioned in a good majority of those articles. If done purposefully to fit a certain narrative shame on them.

It was heartening to see the peaceful and non-destructive protests in NYC. I agree with Chuckles that those who protest by destroying and stealing the property of others are scumbags. The bottom line is that the politicians who make and enforce ridiculous laws and overly protect the government employees who enforce them are the only ones that can make changes in the system. Hopefully they will recognize this and make the appropriate changes, or at least attempt to.

Rock, you live in a state that is forcing fracking on its citizens and is fighting tooth and nail against gay marriage, so maybe you can give that Most Authoritarian labeling a rest. It really is silly and has nothing to do with anything at the heart of the issue here.

And you can't logically rail against authoritarianism on one hand and then insist on how people "must" react to the verdicts in court cases. I'll say it right now - no one, anywhere, with any significant brain/heart function, should have accepted that bullshit 1st Rodney King verdict. I won't say I'm glad riots followed it, but those riots were a whole lot less of a sign of societal rot than that verdict was. A verdict like that undermines trust in the police and the system more than anything else I can think of. I don't think you get the travesty of the '95 OJ verdict without the King verdict. If people start accepting unfair trials the concept of a fair one can get lost.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [Rock, you live in a state that is forcing fracking on its citizens and is fighting tooth and nail against gay marriage, so maybe you can give that Most Authoritarian labeling a rest. It really is silly and has nothing to do with anything at the heart of the issue here.

And you can't logically rail against authoritarianism on one hand and then insist on how people must react to the verdicts in court cases. I'll say it right now - no one, anywhere, with any significant brain/heart function, should have accepted that bullshit 1st Rodney King verdict. I won't say I'm glad riots followed it, but those riots were a whole lot less of a sign of societal rot than that verdict was. A verdict like that undermines trust in the police and the system more than anything else I can think of. I don't think you get the travesty of the '95 OJ verdict without the King verdict. If people start accepting unfair trials the concept of a fair one can get lost.

I just happen to live in a County(Denton) where a ban on Fracking has just been initiated. The people signed a petition, got it on the ballot and voted against Fracking. That is how America should work. http://rt.com/usa/211151-fracking-ban-birthplace-texas/

I fully accept the OJ verdict and would like to hear you explain why it wasn't "fair".

• [Rock, you live in a state that is forcing fracking on its citizens and is fighting tooth and nail against gay marriage, so maybe you can give that Most Authoritarian labeling a rest. It really is silly and has nothing to do with anything at the heart of the issue here.

And you can't logically rail against authoritarianism on one hand and then insist on how people must react to the verdicts in court cases. I'll say it right now - no one, anywhere, with any significant brain/heart function, should have accepted that bullshit 1st Rodney King verdict. I won't say I'm glad riots followed it, but those riots were a whole lot less of a sign of societal rot than that verdict was. A verdict like that undermines trust in the police and the system more than anything else I can think of. I don't think you get the travesty of the '95 OJ verdict without the King verdict. If people start accepting unfair trials the concept of a fair one can get lost.

I just happen to live in a County(Denton) where a ban on Fracking has just been initiated. The people signed a petition, got it on the ballot and voted against Fracking. That is how America should work. http://rt.com/usa/211151-fracking-ban-birthplace-texas/

I fully accept the OJ verdict and would like to hear you explain why it wasn't "fair".

Good luck, I hope your fracking ban works out. But I don't think it will, just as Bloomberg's soda-size edict didn't.

And I didn't say the OJ verdict wasn't fair. I said it was a travesty. Now tell me why you think the Rodney King verdict was fair.

• Laz you should be a cop.
    Set an example.

• right wing troll v left wing troll = soulstrut loses again

• crabmongerfunk said:
    right wing troll v left wing troll = soulstrut loses again

With crappy here serving as my personal troll. I feel cheated. I want a troll with some actual skills. Crappy's not funny, he's not smart, he can't do mean, he can't write an interesting line, his username is stupid, he feels way too sorry for himself and I hear he has dandruff. If I must have some troll following me around there's got to be one more interesting than him.

• BallzDeep said:
    Laz you should be a cop.
    Set an example.

I hate wearing hats.

• ketan said:

The cops should do those 5 years in the same prison their victim would have gone to. But of course they'll be treated lightly. That's how it works.

• As I pointed out previously triggering heart attacks in your opponents is the province of ancient and secretive schools of martial arts. If the officer has not been revealed to be a master of the crane fist I dont see why this is still courting controversy

Police attempt arrest of known criminal

Criminal resists arrest

Police use force to effect arrest

Criminal later dies of heart attack

An unfortunate series of events to be sure but people crying for a conviction mostly seem to be engaged in changing the subject after the brown incident blew up in their face.

• Ex-Boyfriend said:
    As I pointed out previously triggering heart attacks in your opponents is the province of ancient and secretive schools of martial arts. If the officer has not been revealed to be a master of the crane fist I dont see why this is still courting controversy

Criminal resists arrest

An unfortunate series of events to be sure but people crying for a conviction mostly seem to be engaged in changing the subject after the brown incident blew up in their face.

The pig used a banned chokehold.

The coroner found that the use of the chokehold led to Garner's death.

Violent, stupid, racist cop groupies ignore these essential facts because they're happy Garner is dead. They hope the cop enjoys his paid vacation.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    As I pointed out previously triggering heart attacks in your opponents is the province of ancient and secretive schools of martial arts. If the officer has not been revealed to be a master of the crane fist I dont see why this is still courting controversy

Criminal resists arrest

Yeah, people don't die of homicide by heart attack. They die from homicide by compression of the neck, aka strangulation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/eric-garner-death-ruled-homicide-medical-examiner-article-1.1888808

"Eric Garner, the Staten Island dad who complained that he couldn’t breathe as he was subdued by cops, died from compression of the neck, the medical examiner said Friday."

Also, selling loosies isn't a capital crime. Neither is resisting.

You're not very informed.

• But now the NYPD and various right-wing mouths are blaming the murders of these two cops on DiBlasio and the protesters.

Directly.

Wow.