Herbie Hancock goes Santana

2»

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    heartbreaking. but after willie nelson, frank sinatra and dead bob marley, it's just another... when I should be outraged.

whatever. xtina is a good singer? so is Celine. can't wait for her record with Max Roach next month. whooo!

i got stuck in barns and noble waitng to see 40 year old virgin. since they were out of Mojo, i listend to the the CDs. it's fucking turrble. i'd rather chew on a hobo's foot.

some shit just don't go together . no matter how much they might be good on they ownz.

like hot sauce on pussy

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

ice cube is in the wax museum?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ... I should be outraged.

Isn't that a bit melodramatic?

The man has been putting out records for 40 years! I think he's entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants to at this stage.
    He's been staying current with music since Rockit and even continues to have a scratch DJ on tour with him. So it isn't exactly a shock to see him working with pop stars.
    Besides, when was the last time any of us bought a contemporary record from dude?
    Let him do what he wants. This doesn't detract from my respect for him.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    the difference is, xtina has soul, or at least she can fake it real good. Celine is devoid of anything resembling soul. she's as bland and soul-less as you can get while still being technically a "great" singer.
    X-Tina probably has the capabilities of digging deep if she had to. or at least fake it. Mary J. ain't technically that good of a singer, but that really doesn't matter now does it?

... I should be outraged.

Isn't that a bit melodramatic?

The man has been putting out records for 40 years! I think he's entitled to do whatever the fuck he wants to at this stage.

He's been staying current with music since Rockit and even continues to have a scratch DJ on tour with him. So it isn't exactly a shock to see him working with pop stars.

Besides, when was the last time any of us bought a contemporary record from dude?

Let him do what he wants. This doesn't detract from my respect for him.

you're right outraged it too much.

i'd prolly pee on myself and tell him i love his new record if he walked into the room.

but really you should hear this for yourself:

1. Stitched Up featuring John Mayer

2. Safiatou featuring Santana and Ang??lique Kidjo

3. A Song For You featuring Christina Aguilera

4. I Do It For Your Love featuring Paul Simon

5. Hush Hush featuring Annie Lennox

6. Sister Moon featuring Sting

7. When Love Comes To Town featuring Joss Stone and Jonny Lang

8. Don't Explain featuring Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan

9. I Just Called To Say I Love You featuring Raul Mid??n n

10. Gelo Na Montanha featuring Trey Anastasio

of course he could put out several more turds and I'd still consider him one of the greatest ever.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    That is...how you say... ...for ME, but i'm sure some 45 year old soccer moms will be into it.

above and to name a few:

That is...how you say... ...for ME, but i'm sure some 45 year old soccer moms will be into it.

well i'm getting old too. in fact, soccer moms is lookin' aight these days.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    He's been staying current with music since Rockit

He's been staying current with non-jazz music ever since FAT ALBERT ROTUNDA. When fusion first hit, Herbie was right in it.

So it isn't exactly a shock to see him working with pop stars.

I admit, I'm only a halfway Herbie fan as it is, but I don't recall him ever rolling with poppish, Top 40-type acts before. He's kept up with the newer faces, but it was always the acts that had some EDGE (like funk in the 70's, rap in the 80's...and if it's true that Herbie once covered a Nirvana song, then that too). Yeah, he had a disco phase too, but in general Herbie usually had some kind of TASTE when he decided to flirt with the charts.

I saw that track listing that someone on here posted...that's the kind of thing I'd expect from a Najee or a Kenny G, not a Hancock.

• I listened to the album tonight. it's OK but the Christina song is really good. She has a great voice that is maturing well, unlike her contemporaries like Brittany. I never like Agulaera's music but I recognized the talent in her voice. Brittany was all processing. American cheese.

The Santana song sounds like the last hit he had, with some piano added in.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

He's been staying current with music since Rockit

He's been staying current with non-jazz music ever since FAT ALBERT ROTUNDA. When fusion first hit, Herbie was right in it.

VERY good point and I knew something wasn't right when I wrote that.

He was one of the first jazz musicians to embrace that sound and has always been with what's current.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Unfortunately 'what's current' back then meant 'funk' and now it equals 'horseshit'

(Yes - i'm an old fogey).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    4. I Do It For Your Love featuring Paul Simon
    5. Hush Hush featuring Annie Lennox
    6. Sister Moon featuring Sting

in fact, soccer moms is lookin' aight these days.

• I'd almost rather listen to this:

Deep Cover!

Is that the Japanese funky mid 70's joint he did?

I've heard the other Japanese press only and wasn't my cup of tea, anyone got soundclips of this one?

You can't go wrong with this one, it's one of my most apprichiated albums.
    If you like your jazz funk uptempo raw and heavvy on the electic get it.
    It was booted a while back too so you'll find the cut's easily, tune your
    soulseek. Or check spank-a-lee here.