Herbie Hancock goes Santana

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
The guests on Herbie Hancock's new album include Joss Stone, Christina Aguilera, Jonny Lang, even Santana himself. I think I'm going to puke.Anyone heard this horrendous record? I can already picture Herbie clutching an armful of Grammys. I'd almost rather listen to this:

Comments

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Fuck it.

• He's got mouths to feed.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'd almost rather listen to this:

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    The guests on Herbie Hancock's new album include Joss Stone, Christina Aguilera, Jonny Lang, even Santana himself. I think I'm going to puke.

Anyone heard this horrendous record? I can already picture Herbie clutching an armful of Grammys.

It's pretty bad. Weak covers etc. "Sticthed Up" w/ John Mayer is alright with me though.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Deep Cover!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Deep Cover!

Is that the Japanese funky mid 70's joint he did?

I've heard the other Japanese press only and wasn't my cup of tea, anyone got soundclips of this one?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Christina Aguilera

Shame he didn't take it up to 11 and have Britney and Paris Hilton on there too.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

What, no "Dis Is Da Drum"?

SG

I've heard the other Japanese press only and wasn't my cup of tea, anyone got soundclips of this one?

Its pretty much the HEADHUNTERS LIVE........

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

SG

i've never listened to "dis is da drum", but someone on here recently said that it was actually good. can anyone confirm/deny this?

oh well, i didn't even know herbie was coming out with a new record. jazzheads flipped when he went fusion and thought everything he did after leaving blue note sucked. i happen to disagree, but i guess for a lot of people his output was ignorable years ago.

jazzheads flipped when he went fusion and thought everything he did after leaving blue note sucked. i happen to disagree, but i guess for a lot of people his output was ignorable years ago.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I guess those Bose commercials werent paying the bills.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Its pretty much the HEADHUNTERS LIVE........

double lp live action herbie's mid 70 fusion period awsome record imo

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Have you actually heard the album or are you shitting on it on principle?

According to Santana, 1) he thinks the album is great and 2) said Xtina sounded really amazing on the song she does on the album. Compared her to - I kid you not - Donny Hathaway. I haven't heard the album myself and perhaps Santana's biased b/c he's such a big fan of Herbie. Worth noting though.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

According to Santana, 1) he thinks the album is great and 2) said Xtina sounded really amazing on the song she does on the album. Compared her to - I kid you not - Donny Hathaway. I haven't heard the album myself and perhaps Santana's biased b/c he's such a big fan of Herbie. Worth noting though.

Xtina definitely has vocal chops. I'll listen to the record all the way through, but I dislike the pandering "crossover" concept, especially when it's this blatant.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I've heard the Xtina song. I'm not too keen on her own material but, whatever else she may do, she can sing, and she sings the shit out of "A Song For You". I wouldn't put it in quite the same bracket as the Donny Hathaway version, but I'd defy anyone who knows the song to describe it as crap.

People act like Herbie never dabbled with mainstream tastes before.

Herbie's Sunlight lp CBS 1978 is definitely crossing over mainstream wise, still its a super dope record imo!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Herbie's Sunlight lp CBS 1978 is definitely crossing over mainstream wise, still its a super dope record imo!

Well, exactly. Some of his crossover joints are a bit "meh", but I certainly wouldn't begrudge him trying to get some mainstream shine now and again. He's never shown any indication of being an ascetic purist like Wynton Marsalis - other styles and genres clearly interest him, and he can do the straight-up hard bop shit whenever he likes. Herbie Hancock making a pop record is interesting to me. I may end up not liking it, but I'd still like to hear it.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Herbie has consitantly braced what was new and of the times with his lps. Some of you seem to want Fat Albert's Rotunda for days. It's 2005 last time I checked. Xtina is a talented vocalist.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Newsflash: Christina Aguilera can sing her ass off.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Herbie has consitantly braced what was new and of the times with his lps. Some of you seem to want Fat Albert's Rotunda for days. It's 2005 last time I checked. Xtina is a talented vocalist.

I think the people on this board want to see Herbie keep current, as long as it's got some edge! There's a WAY to Get With The Kids And Their Rad, Awesome Beat without sounding like a fool!

But Christina Aguilera???

Shit, if this were 1975, you knew damn well Herbie wasn't going to make a record with Marie Osmond! THAT'S what doing a collabo w/Xtina is like!

And as far as the part about Herbie having to eat...at this point he's probably set for life. I'm sure the brother ain't STRUGGLING.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yes, she can sing, but how credible is Carlos Santana in 2005?

I mean look at that terd of an album he shat out with Clive Davis's help. Mightn't he be a bit biased towards the concept?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I don't give a phuck if any of my idols go on to make sappy music in the name of getting paid. god knows they aren't making money by a few die hard fans that love a certain period of their life. case in point, stevie wonder. i dont know exactly of his finances, but im happy for him making some real/impactful music that i'l always have and can romanticize till amagedeon. what he's done after that might be what he interprets as progression in his own mind, or just plain commercially viable to make money. he's done enough, to not have to work a phucking 9 to 5. yes i used to hate "sell outs" but that's a weak mentality. in my eyes if you've contributed something real, and after that use it to your advantage to live a nice life, its may not be the most integrity-based thing you can do, but i will by no means hate u for it, escpecially when this society we live in today holds just little regard for talent and genius. that goes for everyone from nas to iggy pop to ice cube

to al green's songs on burger king commercials to the rolling stones songs on microsoft promotions...and U2 on ipod commercials..no wait, i phucking hate them...

but for real,i may not buy their new shit, i may actually fucking despise it, but i'l bump their early/good works(in my opnion) and not let it tinge the good shit they put out.
    its sad to see them doing long distance phone commercials or reality television shows, but they deserve to live comfortably, but its sad to see them on phone commercials and reality television shows but they deserve to live comfortably but its sad to see them on long distance phone commercials but they deserve to live comfortably.

my 2 cents (just a rant for myself, not against anyone in particular) .

• i was never mad at that version of 'come as you are' on dis is da drum

if i recall that also has jack dejohnette on it and he's a motherfucker
    ... i never owned it or anything, but i think there's some quality on there

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i liked his nirvana cover of all apologies

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

SG

This is a really good LP. Herbie got beats. Heavy with hip hop production.