soultrut: NOT blocked in cuba

vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
i´m on a solo mission to cuba, diggin records and playing golf. sippin mojitos and smoking robainos. anyone need me to keep an eye for some rekkids? name names.

this site isn´t blocked by the federales.... have we failed as a community?

spilling coffee on my crocs,

VI

Comments

• record pics to come. strewn about the room and dusty as fuck.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Stop braggin' that you're livin' it up while the rest of your Torontonian brothers & sisters are out in the cold.

• i´ll bring you back some coffee. de nada.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    solo mission is epic. i'm jealous!

did you take a portable down?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Just some 'ol son montuno 45s and maybe a few less golf course pics. ;-)

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    have a Bucanero for me

• Of course this communist sewer isn't banned in cuba.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Do they let Americans in? Or... take kindly to us? I would love to travel Cuba with my camera and get flicks on some aging classic car on cobblestone streets steez?

RAJ said:
    Do they let Americans in? Or... take kindly to us? I would love to travel Cuba with my camera and get flicks on some aging classic car on cobblestone streets steez?

they do let americans in, you just have to fly in from Mexico or Canada - no direct flights to Cuba from the USA. They also put a special secret stamp on your passport to let the US immigration know you were there. I went with my school when I was in college and had a great time, although they try to keep tourists restricted to certain areas (mainly by making you spend US dollars which aren't accepted everywhere) and there can be some weirdness with the authorities if you stray out of those areas.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    RAJ said:

they do let americans in, you just have to fly in from Mexico or Canada - no direct flights to Cuba from the USA. They also put a special secret stamp on your passport to let the US immigration know you were there. I went with my school when I was in college and had a great time, although they try to keep tourists restricted to certain areas (mainly by making you spend US dollars which aren't accepted everywhere) and there can be some weirdness with the authorities if you stray out of those areas.

Do they really do that to Americans? The time I went they didn't even stamp my passport directly. Just my paper visa. Which I assumed they did so I didn't have a stamp to give me issues going into the US later.

I'm betting within 5-10 years we'll see US-Cuba restrictions lowered.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    DOR said:

I'm betting only after Castro has died of old age will we see US-Cuba restrictions lowered.

fixed

DOR said:
    ppadilha said:
    RAJ said:

Do they really do that to Americans? The time I went they didn't even stamp my passport directly. Just my paper visa. Which I assumed they did so I didn't have a stamp to give me issues going into the US later.

maybe they stopped doing the stamp thing? It used to be on a specific page, 14 or 15 I think, and it was just a tiny stamp on the corner. Since the US wouldn't issue visas for Cuba, Cuba wouldn't put an official stamp on your passport. I went during that short period after the end of the Clinton administration when the US was trying to soften relations and allowed educational and journalist trips, but I didn't have a paper visa. I know things have changed since then.

• when i went (i'm american) they didn't stamp my actual passport–just a paper visa that i had to buy from the cubana airlines check-in counter in the cancun airport...

oh, and cuba was absolutely amazing! got some great records there

• RAJ said:
    I would love to travel Cuba with my camera and get flicks on some aging classic car on cobblestone streets steez?

Photographers paradise, here a few from our recent trip....

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Goddamn. Way to shut the thread down! Great photos dude. Makes me want to plan a trip.

• **slides iphone back into pocket**

welp, i dont think i can do better than that. pimlico chipmunk gets BUSY with the SLR. we should make a thread dedicated to yours, RAJ's and JRoot's photography.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Superb pics, P-Squiz.

:not feeling her camel-toe:

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    RAJ said:

They love Americans in Cuba, or at least that was my experience 15 years ago. Cubans would unemphatically ask where I was traveling from and name off some possibilities. When I responded that I was from America, they got really excited and wanted to talk to me about it. They seemed to enjoy that an American would defy their government to come visit them.

I went legitimately through Miami. My crew and I said we were making a documentary and the feds let us go through Miami. This allowed me to bring back cigars and first edition books.

I did a cross-country train trip over 9 days from the east to the west. Havana was my least favorite place, although photographically very rich. I recommend getting outside of Havana if possible. Cuba was still one of my favorite places to visit.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Get one of those Soviet-style mud bath spa mega treatments!

dukeofdelridge said:

is this the kind where a hairy man named Yuri rubs you all over?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Those pics are the bomb!! Would love to visit once.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    dukeofdelridge said:

is this the kind where a hairy man named Yuri rubs you all over?

Haha my brother went to Cuba in the 90s and ended up in a two-hour aggressive menthol spa situation. Concrete, vapors, and a near-collapse on a beach.

In retrospect, it may have been a failed abduction.

• Dickwidth said:
    Oof. Vintageinfants is as douchey as I thought he would be?

Seriously, this is the Canadian that acts hard and then reveals himself to soulstrut as some golf playing, cigar smoking tourista?

hahahaha.

thank christ i'm not your type of guy. if i ever had to walk around with the knowledge that you considered me a real cool guy like yourself i'd probably try to stop a speeding truck with my forehead.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    oh, the 'ignore user' button just appeared for me under every post! it wasn't showing up before. perfect timing...

• Dickwidth said:
    Oof. Vintageinfants is as douchey as I thought he would be?

Seriously, this is the Canadian that acts hard and then reveals himself to soulstrut as some golf playing, cigar smoking tourista?

It's as if he is Franks kid nephew who aspires to be like Frank and travel exotic-ish places "absorbing" the culture like Frank.

Pims photos are nice in a Jose Camilo Vergara meets big box store photo frame placeholder photography sort of way.

"You must be brave to get such intimate and captivating shots of the people".

That's what you want to hear right?

Do you even party?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

• J i m s t e r said:

Disclose.tv - just don't look

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Weird. I was just complaining the other day that I was beginning to miss the trolls.

:dodododo:

looks like it might get a lot easier to travel there:
    http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7f7f6bba9d934897a07b09039fd25e38/ap-source-cuba-releases-us-prisoner-alan-gross

which means Raj can wait to go the easy route or better go over now if he wants to get a taste of the forbidden fruit