soultrut: NOT blocked in cuba

2»

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    U.S. has already announced plans to open a Cuban embassy and Rubio just hatin'!

U.S. Senator Marco Rubio of Florida said the release of U.S. aid worker Alan Gross from Cuba "sets a dangerous precedent" that "puts a price on Americans abroad."

Speaking on Fox News, Rubio, a Cuban-American Republican and potential 2016 White House contender, said he did not believe the U.S. Congress would support lifting the embargo on Cuba.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The US embargo, and travel ban, on Cuba was instituted in 1960.
    By all measures it has been a smashing success, forcing Castro to step down and restricting the travel of FREE American people.

• to be fair Cuba doesn't stamp canadian passports either, knowing that it will cause friction when we sojourn to the U.S., which you may find hard to believe.... but ive had guns drawn on me for less.

• Cuba : Now open for American business!

Finally!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    Cuba : Now open for American business!

Finally!

Good news, IMO. Giving Cuban citizens open access to the internet is pretty major (Raul Castro is allowing this, nothing to do with Obama directly). It's still unclear what sort of big picture economic relations the US and Cuba will have, aside from the fact that we are easing restrictions on remittances, travel and banking relations (US credit and debit cards will be formally accepted now).

• I'd like to believe this thread was one of the opening salvo's in the lifting of the embargo.

WE DID IT, YOU GUYS

• VI, if you weren't Canadian I would elect you US Ambassador to Cuba

• Ok so we can now trade and visit cuba which is wonderful and all except

1: Cuba is communist therefore has almost nothing to trade and any trade that does occur is of greatest benefit to the gang of thugs who have been oppressing the cuban people for decades

2. I'm sorry but what kind of moral pervert would want to holiday in a prison state? Americans may now enter but Cubans may still not leave and this asymmetry turns a vacation to Cuba into a sick sort of human safari. You can visit cuba but you cannot visit cubans. Not really. The cuban can not reveal his full self. He can not tell you his true feelings. He must simply get on as best he can driving around in antiquated cars and living in crumbling buildings whilst gringos marvel at how picturesque it all is. He is essentially conscripted by his government into performing for wealthy foreigners. He is an extra for your photographs, that is all.

The Cubans are an expropriated people, not even their voice is their own. They work for the regime or they do not work. They speak for the regime or they do not speak. They live for the regime or they do not live. I refuse to fund this obscenity.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    Ok so we can now trade and visit cuba which is wonderful and all except

1: Cuba is communist therefore has almost nothing to trade and any trade that does occur is of greatest benefit to the gang of thugs who have been oppressing the cuban people for decades

2. I'm sorry but what kind of moral pervert would want to holiday in a prison state? Americans may now enter but Cubans may still not leave and this asymmetry turns a vacation to Cuba into a sick sort of human safari. You can visit cuba but you cannot visit cubans. Not really. The cuban can not reveal his full self. He can not tell you his true feelings. He must simply get on as best he can driving around in antiquated cars and living in crumbling buildings whilst gringos marvel at how picturesque it all is. He is essentially conscripted by his government into performing for wealthy foreigners. He is an extra for your photographs, that is all.

The Cubans are an expropriated people, not even their voice is their own. They work for the regime or they do not work. They speak for the regime or they do not speak. They live for the regime or they do not live. I refuse to fund this obscenity.

1) You're right. It's not like opening trade with the USSR did anything to topple them.

2) We imprison far more people than Cuba. Do you vacation here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:

They work for the regime or they do not work.

Only two things are certain in life; death, and working for the regime.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:

do you even party?

b/w

enjoy your guilt-free vacation to Jamaica/Dominican Republic/Costa Rica/Colombia/Mexico/etc and so on, where there's peace and prosperity for all!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:
    Ok so we can now trade and visit China which is wonderful and all except

1: China is communist therefore has almost nothing to trade and any trade that does occur is of greatest benefit to the gang of thugs who have been oppressing the cuban people for decades

2. I'm sorry but what kind of moral pervert would want to holiday in a prison state? Americans may now enter but Chinese may still not leave and this asymmetry turns a vacation to China into a sick sort of human safari. You can visit china but you cannot visit chinese. Not really. The chinese can not reveal her full self. She can not tell you her true feelings. She must simply get on as best she can driving around in antiquated cars and living in crumbling buildings whilst gringos marvel at how picturesque it all is. She is essentially conscripted by her government into performing for wealthy foreigners. She is an extra for your photographs, that is all.

The Chinese are an expropriated people, not even their voice is their own. They work for the regime or they do not work. They speak for the regime or they do not speak. They live for the regime or they do not live. I refuse to fund this obscenity.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    seriously though, americans getting all righteous about human rights abuses in Cuba one week after it's been revealed that their own government is busy subjecting prisoners to sleep deprivation, simulated drowning, and stuffing liquified food up their anuses comes across as pretty hypocritical, to say the least.

• Ex-Boyfriend said:

Wrong. Cubans can leave, true they have to apply to leave but they do all the time now. It's not easy (it takes money to leave) but I've got a couple here right now. Most don't return , which is bad for the island to say the least.
    Also, Cubans are some of the most social, boisterous, talkative people I've ever met. You chill, you dance, you drink, you shoot the shit. And you can say FUCK CASTRO as much as you want and no one gives a shit anymore.

They have a tradition this time of year at new years. During the end of year party, a couple is picked and given a suitcase. They take it, start hugging and kissing all the others then walk out the door waving all the while and yelling: "goodbye, we're off to america". Everyone gets into the act... soon enough the couple is back.

It's a great thing what happened today.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Ex-Boyfriend said:

Incorrect. General tourism is not allowed yet. Congress will have to vote on that first. Only trade for agricultural and construction products has been allowed so far. Unilateral, open trade will have to be approved by congress as well. Also, people forget Cuba was the number one tourist destination in the Caribbean pre-revolution.

Ex-Boyfriend said:

You are an idiot suffering from myopia. You have no idea what will happen.

Ex-Boyfriend said:

U OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW THAT THE INTERNET PROVIDES A VOICE FOR MANY EXPROPRIATED PEOPLE. YES, EVEN TROLLS LIKE U.