Pearl Jam

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited December 2014 in Strut Central
What a shitty overrated band and they have their own Sirius channel!!??? How!?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    OMG I thought you were going ride for them in this thread and then I was going to have to cancel my subscription.

Do they just play PJ stuff all day?

Eminem has Shade45 and it regularly transcends his wackness and produces great rap radio.

• Haha... my cuz listens to that shit all the time. It is ear poison.

• Eddie Vedder's bellow is one of the worst sounds in rock.

• Gross, never understood their popularity or obsessed fan base. I used to do databasing work at a music licensing office. Pearl jam has about 4 different recordings of each song in every city in the US at different dates. Who buys this shit...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Beatsoup said:
    Who buys this shit...

Chad and Becky are way into PJ.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I get the Dead, Phish, EDM... cult following due to drug induced concert experiences and jam worthiness. Pearl Jam is none of that. Crappy music that sounds like it went through a cheese grater.

Again.... THEIR OWN SIRIUS CHANNEL!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    is this the wrong audience to offer an OG vinyl copy of Yield to with the die cut album cover?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Pearl Jam is the grunge equivalent of Creed.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    RAJ said:

Yo RAJ... When is Soulstrut getting its' own SiriusXM radio station? Aparently anyone can get one...

;-)

dj_pi said:
    RAJ said:

Yo RAJ... When is Soulstrut getting its' own SiriusXM radio station? Aparently anyone can get one...

;-)

B/W

Scott Stapp's Meth fueled breakdown is quite entertaining. Karma?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Pearl Jam SD Chargers Jimmy Johns How I Met Your Mother Gap Jeans

Infuriating mediocrity. Unbearably acceptable.

• pearl jam fans are really sad. all these late 30's to mid-40's dudes who never progressed beyond their teenage musical tastes. it's basically jock rock.

I blame pearl jam for creed and a whole slew of awful groups that came out in the mid to late 90's, just before rap-metal took over for a second.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Eddie Vedder's bellow is one of the worst sounds in rock.

Just don't mention the "J" song. For the love of god... anything but that.

• the riff in jeremy is one of the worst riffs of all time.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I just can't get worked up about Pearl Jam.

Standing ten dollar bet among my friends to show up at Ed Ved's W.Seattle door in full Singles flannel costume, basketball in hand. I think he moved though.

The only time I can get even halfway moved by Pearl Jam is when I think of that "extra disturbing face" in that video where he rolls his eyes back. A MJ "make your scariest noise" in the Mickey Mouse sweatshirt moment.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Since I moved back to Brazil I've come realize that bands like Pearl Jam seem to live off their fan base down here more than anything else. I'm constantly baffled by the number of serious Pearl Jam fans they have here, and they don't necessarily fit the stereotype (aging grunge dude?).

Another band that has a massive following here is Foo Fighters. I don't think they're anywhere near as annoying as Pearl Jam but nothing justifies the Rock Gods treatment they receive here.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    They're not only shit, they're contagious. The day I heard about Neil Young playing a show with Pearl Jam I sorted out all of my Neil Young records, broke every single one of them and dumped them in the trash.

Shoot every single Pearl Jam fan in the face and the world would be a better place. I'd happily help with the task.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    They came out when people were looking to latch onto any Seattle band and their jam band rock appealed to a lot of people. Their are a ton of bands that should have been bigger than Pearl Jam like Mudhoney and they both came from Green River. But that's the music biz, feeding the masses is the priority and the masses have questionable taste.

• Frank said:
    They're not only shit, they're contagious. The day I heard about Neil Young playing a show with Pearl Jam I sorted out all of my Neil Young records, broke every single one of them and dumped them in the trash.

Shoot every single Pearl Jam fan in the face and the world would be a better place. I'd happily help with the task.

So you're proposing killing millions of people for listening to music?

• Temple of the Dog > Pearl Jam

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    PJ is bad. Counting Crows is far worse! "Round Here" is one of the very few songs that makes me want to throw a brick at a hippie.

b/w

We should do a Soul Strut anti-100

PJ clones:

Yarling....

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My wife heard me playing a song the other day and said, "Turn that off, the singer sounds like Pearl Jam, I can't stand it. I never want to hear anything that sounds like his voice again."

PJ really got a lot of radio play in San Diego. The local "alternative" radio station played them multiple times a day for 20 years. Was it like that everywhere?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    man, those PJ clone bands made me wonder: who was the female equivalent of Pearl Jam? Alanis Morissete or The Cranberries or someone else? Not sure which of them came first, but would gladly never hear anything like them again.

• "...so finish your whiskey and beer"

the duke nailed it (again): this kind of music epitomizes the sound of mediocrity

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Since I moved back to Brazil I've come realize that bands like Pearl Jam seem to live off their fan base down here more than anything else. I'm constantly baffled by the number of serious Pearl Jam fans they have here, and they don't necessarily fit the stereotype (aging grunge dude?).

Another band that has a massive following here is Foo Fighters. I don't think they're anywhere near as annoying as Pearl Jam but nothing justifies the Rock Gods treatment they receive here.

It's so strange to find out what horrible American bands my Brazilian friends here in California like. It [em]is[/em] baffling because I think that they have great taste in contemporary Brazilian music.

• I dunno I can still get into a couple of songs off Ten and Verses. But pretty much hatted anything else after that. They would definitely be in my anti-top-5.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Never saw the appeal of their music, although there are a couple of tracks I don't mind.

If there's anything I appreciate about them, it's that they helped bring Ticketmaster's heinous business practices to light, at the expense of their own careers.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Pearl Jam having the first song in the hillbilly crime drama Under the Furnace contributed in my decision not to see out the movie. The ploddy plot and Woody Harrelson domestic battery didn't help.

That said, Eddy Vedder's Temple of the Dog was responsible for a few of my biggest laughs on Soul Strut, and I'm not mad about the popularity of MOR rockers with liberal leanings - at least the country at large has soured on the even-worse brand of rock peddled by Scott Stapp and his ilk. I mean, several years ago, if you typed "Scott St..." into Google, who would have thought Stapp would be like fifth down on the list, with even Scott Storch above him.