Renegades of Rhythm Tour (Shadow Related)

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
Anybody seen this? The concept is fantastic and it's good to see some vinyl maniacs get back to the medium that made their careers.

Comments

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Saw their 2nd show in NYC. Bambaataa was in the house and they were both very nervous (shaking hands while picking records)...but they executed it in style. The intro with the visuals was mindblowing. I could only watch the first half, but it was definitely worth it. Drum machines on stage plus 6 turntables. Go see it when you have the chance.

• Saw it a few weeks ago at house of blues in New Orleans.
    It was pretty fucking great. As a dj set, I must say those two are really good at what they do.
    As far as the Bambaataa element, the visuals were smartly matched to the set, showed the og sleeve to the record on deck, photos of Bam matched to the time line of the era, train maps etc. Pretty cool.
    I will admit I got more geeked than expected hearing Bambaataa's copies of Catch a Groove, Bounce Skate etc.
    One thing that was impressive was how clean it all sounded, I kept listening for cue burn. They must have VPN'ed the absolute shit outta those records. Seeing the tattered sleeves sticking out of the crates and knowing where those copies had been was pretty awesome.

It had been a loooong time since I've seen any kind of dj show, so I had kinda forgotten what a dude fest the culture is.
    Cargo shorts and Wu Tang shirts over potbellies for miles.
    The only girls in attendance appeared to be corralled girlfriends.

Overall rad experience.

• Sick. Looking forward to their stop here in November

• it was really good, check it if you can.

• Saw this last night, good stuff. (thanks Cas and Anna!) Those guys are good and creative DJs. If I was given the same stack of records, I don't think I could come up with a strong routine like they did.

vinylstalker said:

One thing that was impressive was how clean it all sounded, I kept listening for cue burn. They must have VPN'ed the absolute shit outta those records.

It had been a loooong time since I've seen any kind of dj show, so I had kinda forgotten what a dude fest the culture is.
    Cargo shorts and Wu Tang shirts over potbellies for miles.
    The only girls in attendance appeared to be corralled girlfriends.

These two items are SOOOO true.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Going to show in SF on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

• Saw it Charlotte. Thought it was great. Even the opening act Edan and Patenlock were cool.
    The concept alone sells itself.
    I also was waiting for the cue burn. Never heard any really. Highly recommended!!!

• Really mad at myself that I missed the Toronto show. It was just totally off my radar (not-checking-for-shadow-anymore-related) and I heard about it on the day of via instagram. Should have made the effort to rearrange plans and catch it.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    So went to the show on Saturday. It was mental. One of the most insane live turntable performances I've ever seen. A certified facemelt.

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Played the opening set at the Orlando date. Folks in attendance where defiantly there for a show as they stared at me while i nervously fumbled through my set. Was very impressed at how they pieced the whole thing together. Technically so sharp with the cuts and juggles and made it look easy. A lot of classic breaks dropped but they did it creatively. My favorite segment is when they got into the 80s / odd ball records. Visuals were dope, wish I would've coped the book they had at the merch table. Was probably the greatest dj performance I've ever scene. They pulled off some pretty slick / creative routines, dudes are def still on top of their game. In this weird edm era of button pushing djing was good to see a couple thousand fellow nerds in attendance. Shit was really fresh overall, hope they drop a dvd.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    (not-checking-for-shadow-anymore-related)

His production has fallen off like

Good to know he still brings his A-game to DJing with Cut Chemist.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    dubl

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I went to go see this show last night because I think these two guys are seriously the best all around djs on the planet. regardless of their own solo work, their track record with these live mixes is legendary.

As soon as they came out some dude had his camera all up in shadow's face as he was introducing the show, and he snapped on the guy. I completely understand. Peoples' phones in my face is one of my biggest peeves as well. they got on and mercd it for about 15 minutes, then got on the mic again.... And again ... And again.

I get it. You're trying to share with the audience why this is so historically important. However, during one of these interludes, shadow goes off on these kids for not paying attention as if he was some sort of college professor being interrupted during a lecture.

I flashed back to every Fugazi show I've ever attended ( that's probably somewhere around 30, mind you.) where Ian McKaye goes off on an audience member or security guard or ice cream truck... when I was a kid I thought it was kind of cool, but now I'm really left feeling like these old guys are being prescious.

The kids with the phones suck. No doubt, but so does the $35 ticket they paid for to hear music, and the $9 beers I might add.

i went to see 2 of the best do what they do best, and I felt this massive gap between them and their audience last night. People were there for the music, not a patronizing lesson in why things used to be better. these two talented dudes who have been so fortunate to do what they love don't really seem to relate to their audience any more.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    damm thats a harsh and real review delay
    quite a juxtaposition of great skills and old man screams at the clouds from 2 guys that almost never really produced anything classic on they own

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn... well, hopefully they get all their mobile phone hatred outta their system by the time they get down to Sydney in March!

• too cool for phoenix
    i see how it is.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

If you're closed minded or uptight, you're gonna struggle

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Good to see Shadow elevating his form to a Chevy commercial, you know just being able to continue expressing himself in the auto industry.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Good to see Shadow elevating his form to a Chevy commercial, you know just being able to continue expressing himself in the auto industry.

Oh wow.

Jeremy Storch better get some of that money:

• That song really does lend itself to placement.

B/w: dude has twin girls. I'm never gonna be mad at anyone that takes good money. Maybe it goes against the whole 1996 it's the money thing, but its 2014. 18 years later. When those twins are 18 hre's gonna want all the money he can get. College tuition will probably be like $400,000 each.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Of course - definitely do not have an issue with getting some $$$ from wherever; in this case, he may sell a few more copies of Entroducing in the process. That said, no one likes a scold, especially one in a skull cap.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I thought Shadow and scores of other producers had been doing commercial and other tv music for years. I know this was on the downlow, but I thought people knew.

How else are you going to get paid in this day and age?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Their Oakland show was lots of fun. Everyone in the building knew the set worked. Wild b-boy circle an alla dat my people came through. Imma out.

• i saw it in philly and unfortunately missed Edan and patent lock. really bummed about that.
    the show was reallllly on point with audio and visuals. absolute break madness with surprisingly handful of things i didnt know.

for once i gotta agree with my man delay though...they were on some "you better learn and do the knowledge" a little too much. chill out with your self importance and let the shit speak for itself. appreciate how true to the game and dedicated you are, but for some people, there's more important things in life.

• Josh has gone full Preemo??

Thanks for the perspective Delay. I definitely agree with you. They are the apex of that style of djing. Too bad there's such a disconnect with the audience. Patronizing lectures aren't going to help though, that's for sure.

Still sad I missed it.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Caught the show in Baltimore. Managed to catch soundcheck which was special to me. I don't recall any lectures/announcements, except when they dropped a Planet Rock acetate.

Cell phones at concerts are bullshit. Don't be that guy. You will NEVER re-watch those videos and nobody cares.

Anyway, I had a great time and hope they release the mix somehow. I figure they are recording the shows and will release the best one.

Check it out if you have the chance.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    knewjak said:

Cell phones at concerts are bullshit. Don't be that guy. You will NEVER re-watch those videos and nobody cares.

Truth. I will never understand that phenomenon. Wow, the indiscernible visuals and similarly ruined sound coming from your phone really make me feel like I was THERE, man!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I agree with what Delay says on the previous page in theory but found the opposite to be the case in terms of the fan reaction to the show I caught.

Everyone was feeling the sets, and I thought that the talking on the mic was minimal but was necessary for the majority of the crowd to understand exactly what the fuck they were witnessing (we can probably all agree that exclusive use of Bambaataa's records on a global DJ tour is awesome - why not let everyone know why it's important?). There were a couple points in the mix where they went off on some deep stuff, but for the most part the entire set was highly danceable. No standing around and staring at the nerdfest on stage like with Brainfreeze and Product Placement (the latter of which I caught live at the Fillmore SF many many moons ago). Those were incredibly awkward mixes from a danceability perspective. Glad they finally got it right with this set.

• saw it at the fox in oakland.

the sound in the balcony was crazy, i wore earplugs for the first time ever at a show.
    they had the mikes plugged directly into the dj mixer, i wasn't even sure if they had a sound guy until i went downstairs at the end, it sounded good by the sound booth.

the show was dope, the first half (third?) was old breaks (cuban, salsa, dope-as-fuck-breaks-that-i-didn't -know), that was super dope.
    the produced-by-bam part kind of lost me 'cause i don't really rock a lot of his production in general.
    the part at the end where they rocked the bboy classics was cool (especially 'cause of the this-is-the-original-record-that-made-this-a-classic-break factor), i'll bet there was dope breaking going on up front.
    the visuals were dope with the record covers and old footage, but they looped the video stuff over and over (they didn't correlate with the records being played).
    shadow and cut chemist were flawless (didn't notice one skip or missed cue). i'm not used to watching djs that use the mixer's efx/looper stuff, so that took away from it for me 'cause i couldn't tell exactly what was going on.
    i had a balcony seat and was there to sit and watch them dj, i'm sure that anyone dancing and grooving out was feeling the polished/layered sound though..

dam funk was dope! i like his shit, but i didn't expect to get so pumped to watch him walk around the stage sort of singing to his beats off of his laptop.