Q4 2014 Strut Beats.

johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Sorry, couldn't find a 2014 post your beats thread.

I haven't really had anything to share in here, I mostly make drum & bass or dubstep (minimal / ambient versions of).
but i have recently been down a little black hole of 70's psychish jazz, and have been working on some sample based stuff.

'scarab moon' started off as a halftime D&B based track, but ended up more in the blazing downtempo category i guess

'season of the emergence' is straight up drone noise with samples

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    johnblack said:

'scarab moon' started off as a halftime D&B based track, but ended up more in the blazing downtempo category i guess

Constuctive crit/opinionated gobshite (delete as you see fit!)

Two things I'd change: less ambiance washing over it. From 0:22 to 2:20 every 8 beats you've got the sustained/heavily reverb'd sound but I'd skip to every 16, or make it deeper/subbier and less sustained. I'd also like a totally contrasting sound - something like the DnB airhorn siren synth thing (that bloodcurdling sound Doc Scott uses in Unofficial Ghost @ 2:27 here) to cut through all this murkiness. With less of the ambient sound dominating, the drums, sparse as they are, would get a little more focus.
    Also I like weird snippets of words echoed in and and out of these sort of tracks. Some science guy talking about something that sounds vaguely portentious... movie samples, that sort of thing.

'season of the emergence' is straight up drone noise with samples

Mmmm, both of your tracks make me think of what Trevor Jackson (aka The Underdog, aka Skull) does with a murky intro and where he takes it.

• thanks Duderonomy, you are right on getting something to slice through the reverb, I will re-visit the project over the weekend and see if i can find something suitable. and yeah, might tone a few things back a bit!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    At work. Hope to post some of my mediocre bullshit when I get a second.

A rough beat, needs southern rap accapella or MC - Harv w/ the hookup, or is this sound too dated?

• Feelin' the Swamp Funk! A nice acapella would really set it off. Nice!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    I made this a while ago... took a sample added some beats.. nuthin fancy, I like the drums the most about this, the sample is kinda cool too me but I think I could have found sumthin better, the last few notes in it are pretty high pitched, meh! its music.

I made this about a year ago or so, started with the rakim sample and went from there... samples & beats, I don't overly like the low droning bassline though..it needs to go imho...but I like the rest of the beat.

• Good stuff guys, keep the beats comin

I'm working on another album here's one of the most recent, haven't tried to make it loud yet so.. turn it up. Might redo the guitar solo, add drum changes.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Beatsoup said:
    Good stuff guys, keep the beats comin

I'm working on another album here's one of the most recent, haven't tried to make it loud yet so.. turn it up. Might redo the guitar solo, add drum changes.

Love the keys....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Here's a remix I did:

A very unfinished beat...

• I made a bunch of uptempo versions of throwback rap classics.
    Kind of a production experiment, but I play them out from time to time

• Duder that beats got some potential, I'd like to hear a snare in there. Minimalistic break downs filtering ect might be cool.

Here's something I did a few months ago, funk cover of some classic samba. Just mixed it..

Beatsoup said:
    Duder that beats got some potential, I'd like to hear a snare in there. Minimalistic break downs filtering ect might be cool.

Thanks. It started out as a segue in a mix and developed a life of it's own, but then I dropped the whole sequence and haven't done much else with it. My main concern is that it might be better slower, with more swing, giving it more emphasis, but as it's made up of [strong]a lot[/strong] of chopped clips this is a major overhaul.

MattTracker = love that Digable Planets beat.

• Yeah Digable's Jettin has always been a favorite of mine.
    Your beats dope as well

• Damn Soulstrut is a talented place!! I just made this beat tonight after a Deodato record was skipping and made a perfect loop.

• Just lost a load of beats thanks to a hard disk crash (lesson learned: BACKUP, BACKUP & BACKUP SOME MORE!) - these were the most recent 2:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20750625/petesasqwax-loaf-eyed84.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20750625/petesasqwax-100beards.mp3

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    An edit/remix i've been having a great time working on just got corrupted somehow, so i'd have to echo the BACKUP sentiment.
    I managed to export it as a sound file a couple days ago. I suppose i don't have to worry about finishing it now! :blank:

[edit: thanks to the kind words, i went back to the 3weeksbefore version and had at it again. ]

Glad you saved that Cove, :feeling it:*

* wasn't there a poaster/alias called Feelin' It BITD who's only comments were always "I'm feelin' it" ?

• JohnBlack that first track you posted hooked me pretty quick with the atmospherics and moodiness. Reminds me of Photek a little bit - not necessarily in the percussion, but just the overall sonic quality. Haven't heard this style of half time dnb for a while. It's a nice breath of fresh air!

Matttracker I'm loving that mix! The covers are really well done and all have a great feel to them. This is a great idea, IMHO. Have you thought about releasing something like this? I think there would be a market for it.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    damn, some great beats here as usual!

need to check these forums again. i mostly make electronic stuff nowadays.. heres my two latest ones:

• DOOM - really enjoyed Anura! Slow burner that keeps things interesting throughout. Love the production on the bass.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    DOOM - really enjoyed Anura! Slow burner that keeps things interesting throughout. Love the production on the bass.

Thanks! That track is a actually a live take recorded on one stereotrack. Not that happy with the intro but I think I will keep it as it is. Trying to keep things honest and raw when making electronic stuff is pretty hard.

That bass is a Roland System 100 and Cyclone TT-303 combo btw.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    cove said:
    An edit/remix i've been having a great time working on just got corrupted somehow, so i'd have to echo the BACKUP sentiment.
    I managed to export it as a sound file a couple days ago. I suppose i don't have to worry about finishing it now! :blank:

This is ill

• BeatChemist said:

Matttracker I'm loving that mix! The covers are really well done and all have a great feel to them. This is a great idea, IMHO. Have you thought about releasing something like this? I think there would be a market for it.

Thanks a lot. I thought about releasing it in limited vinyl, but I really don't know if there's a market.
    So for now- it's just on soundcloud/bandcamp

Beatsoup said:
    Duder that beats got some potential, I'd like to hear a snare in there. Minimalistic break downs filtering ect might be cool.

Here's something I did a few months ago, funk cover of some classic samba. Just mixed it..

This, too, is ill

BeatChemist said:

Matttracker I'm loving that mix! The covers are really well done and all have a great feel to them.

+1

• Moved this from the mix po(a)st as it's not a mix at all in any sense of the word

That Psychosis Exercise is dope. Another Strutter called Fred Fades used to poast beat-mixes on here, and I always wondered why he didn't pad them out with some other tracks... so that's not a crit, more that I liked the mix of beats but it's too short!

• Thanks man. I had to make it 20mins because it was for a split tape that I did with my friend Steve Madslo. I'm thinking about doing another volume of it at the moment (I started collecting samples together for the vocal drops) which would probably stick to the 20mins format just to retain continuity

• doomdoom 305 Posts

New wax by me and my friend Varg, release later this month! This is the opening track of the A-side.

If you like it, its possible to pre-order from the label.