Some shit that completely floored you recently (RR)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Was listening to this one tonight for the first time. Love it when you got it on for a few minutes, and then BAM! "fuckin' ridiculous...." happens. Up-for-whatever Budlight steez.

Bought this on a whim, and damn....

Any genre, old or new. Records or CDs or tapes or MP3s. Let's get this thread started.

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I haven't listened to that Egberto Gismonti record in a very long time, maybe I should dig it out.

I picked this up recently and have been loving it:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm listening to Marlon McClain's new lp, TBC.
    The song You & Me is the truth. Can't find it on youtube.
    Here is Marlon messing around on the guitar. He posts these vids up to facebook on the regular.

• dan lacksman assoc "flameco moog"

• kalakala 3,358 Posts

• my girl broke "koln concert" out the other day. while he may be a grunting douchebag, this is pure soul and beauty:

edit: not one youtube of this performance, jarrett must be a litigious bastard...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    bought this because I thought it was a bit funny that a girl that looks like an Aryan postergirl was singing her favorite Billie Holiday songs. the funny factor was compounded by her inability to get Billie's name right on the cover

but damn! When I heard it I was blown away, really is such a great album that changes my mood and mellows me out.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    bought this because I thought it was a bit funny that a girl that looks like an Aryan postergirl was singing her favorite Billie Holiday songs. the funny factor was compounded by her inability to get Billie's name right on the cover

but damn! When I heard it I was blown away, really is such a great album that changes my mood and mellows me out.

Vintage Amy Winehouse?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

i ve had this record forever and never truly listened to it. did so last night and when the part that four tet flipped came, my face melted right off..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    Guzzo said:

Vintage Amy Winehouse?

nope,

exactly what you night expect, honkey easy breezy renditions of tracks Billie Hoiiday did that just seem to work out beautifullly.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    I discovered this via the strut about a year ago (for me that's recent for being "floored"), and it still stops me in my tracks each time I hear it.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    Grafwritah said:
    Guzzo said:

Vintage Amy Winehouse?

nope,

exactly what you night expect, honkey easy breezy renditions of tracks Billie Hoiiday did that just seem to work out beautifullly.

Well sheeeit, I plucked that one up out of the dollar bin the other week on the strength of her haircut alone. Might have to actually give it a listen.

I think she was in a 50s pop group called the Paris Sisters.

• bookstore come up out of left field that almost made me spit out coffee.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• Didn't know anything about Mark Sandman's pre Morphine band Treat Her Right until I stumbled on the LP at Goodwill.

• Not RR per se..but Daniel Radcliffe doing "Alphabet Aerobics" on Fallon last night far exceeded my expectations.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DOR said:

Shoulda demanded to speak to the manager

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    CrankSinatra said:
    Not RR per se..but Daniel Radcliffe doing "Alphabet Aerobics" on Fallon last night far exceeded my expectations.

He didn't stumble and kept the pace which was awesome.

Was it just me or did he start turning a shade of purple there at the end?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I had a convo with a buddy visiting from out of town on sunday about how good this 45 is. I kind of resigned to ever owning it and started listening to Latin records all afternoon afterwards. Went digging through my storage unit today and there it was. Great music! Shouts to Day and Thes for hipping my friend and I to it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    MusicaDelAlma said:
    I had a convo with a buddy visiting from out of town on sunday about how good this 45 is. I kind of resigned to ever owning it and started listening to Latin records all afternoon afterwards. Went digging through my storage unit today and there it was. Great music! Shouts to Day and Thes for hipping my friend and I to it.

Yep, cool song Musica!!! I found it diggin' up in Portland a couple of years ago.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Seeing Gary Clark Jr. perform in front of his home crowd last night...

^^^video not actually from last night, but THIS SONG HERE^^^

Thanks HC.

• Really been enjoying the new site and dove right in to the mix archive first chance I got. First one I listened to was "Records Are People Too," and....wow. There are several tracks that have been flooring me all week. I know I'm kinda late to the party on this one but even if you've heard the mix before, these are a few that deserve another play:

• Not a record, as such, but a newly opened secondhand vinyl shop in my home town. Had been told about it by friends and when I called in I was stunned to find that it was nicely stocked, well priced and run by a really nice guy. I picked up Mike Van Olden & Boston Bob's 'Boston Baked Beats' for a couple of £ and have been in (and bought records) a few times since then. I'm heading in tomorrow to spend most of the day helping the owner price up some boxes of hip-hop & being paid in the sweet currency of format of kings.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Just discovered this and am officially floored. Can't believe this is on muse and available for 20$. Whole LP is brilliant. I've been digging muse for 20 years now - how did I miss this?!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I'm a big fan of Ave Negra, kick ass garage punk'n'roll hecho en Costa Rica:

What? Does embedding videos no longer work?
    Anyways, these are the links if anybody's interested:

The Muse catalog was humungous.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

They are swinging the shit out of it.