Timmy Digalot Rule #1-Post '75 Records are Wack (yeah, right!)

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Hey 'Strutters,

I remember back in the day hearing little Timmy Digalots talking about how all post-1975 records should be avoided. I was telling my wife about this, and we lamented on how many great records have come from that period. So, off top, here are some joints from after 1975 that would wreck my life if I didn't own them:

1. "The Better Part of Me"-Clifford Coulter. (1980)
2. "Musical Massage"-Leon Ware. (1976)
3. "Escape Hatch"-Circle 'O Fire. (1978)
4. "Fly with the Wind"-McCoy Tyner. (1976)
5. "A Fantasy Love Affair"-Peter Brown (yeah, I said it!). (1978)
6. "All the Woo in the World"-Bernie Worrell. (1978)
7. "Magic"-Sylvia St. James. (1980)
8. "Party Mix"-The B-52s. (1981)
9. "Mock One"-Don Mock. (1978)
10. "S/T"-Logg. (1981)

Please add on to rep that disco did not ruin music beyond 1975.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hardcore Jollies - Funkadelic - 1976
    Hutson II - Leroy Hutson - 1976
    Car Wash - Rose Royce - 1977
    Send It - Ashford & Simpson - 1977
    Ambient 1: Music for Airports - Brian Eno - 1977
    Destiny - The Jacksons - 1978
    For U - Prince - 1978
    Here My Dear - Marvin Gaye - 1978
    Van Halen - Van Halen - 1978
    Wild & Peaceful - Teena Marie - 1979
    M'Boom - Max Roach - 1979
    Hotter Than July - Stevie Wonder - 1980
    Gwen McCrae - Gwen McCrae - 1981
    Computer World - Kraftwerk - 1981

I doubt this myth still even exists amongst new-jacks these days. I bet that era-fetish has been dissolved by now.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Yo Stacks, here are some post 75 Lps I ride with. Don't forget about that self titled Jackson's LP produced by Gamble and Huff Batmon. Pardon the glare on the bottom of the picture.
    Attached files

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What are the rules today?
    The old rules was nothing post '75.
    No strings.
    The bigger the afro the heavier the funk.
    Any version of LGA, ANS, LMF, PYHITH...

The biggest thing today I see people exclusively digging for is boogie.
    What are the rules?
    Maybe the rule today is bring a portable.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    With all due respect to Big Stacks, if I had to prove to a soul traditionalist that there were good records after 1975, I wouldn't have chosen most of those albums on his list. I could understand it if he listed, say, J. Blackfoot or some other act that updated the old style into a new era. Otherwise, acts like Peter Brown are exactly what purists are trying to [em]avoid[/em].

That said, there appears to be a newer generation of cratediggers who already have the hunger for disco, fusion and "modern soul." The LPs he listed would be right up their wheelhouse.

• Damn... I generally avoid records from the 80s. Am I a Timmy??

The rule is obviously not 100% followed. But it's definitely my "most used" rule.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    With all due respect to Big Stacks, if I had to prove to a soul traditionalist that there were good records after 1975, I wouldn't have chosen most of those albums on his list. I could understand it if he listed, say, J. Blackfoot or some other act that updated the old style into a new era. Otherwise, acts like Peter Brown are exactly what purists are trying to [em]avoid[/em].

That said, there appears to be a newer generation of cratediggers who already have the hunger for disco, fusion and "modern soul." The LPs he listed would be right up their wheelhouse.

Hey Pickwick,

It's great to see you here on the 'Strut, my man. To your point, if the post-75 warning involves soul purists' disdain, then yes, some of my list would be offensive to them. However, I think the rule was more of a general looking down upon disco and dance-related music with an overly liberal negative bias. Sure, a great deal of that stuff sucked, but in between it all, some great recordings were released beyond 1975. That rule aside, a number of soul/R&B artists dropped good albums beyond 1975 as well (e.g., Donny Hathaway/Roberta Flack, Teddy Pendergrass, The Stylistics, Michael Jackson, Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Minnie Riperton, Ray, Goodman, & Brown, Stevie Wonder, etc.). I just tried to avoid naming more obvious ones to make the task more challenging.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• For the boogies I think 1983 is a good indicator year.
    Certainly not a rule, but I bet some people out there would agree.

Hey Pickwick,

It's great to see you here on the 'Strut, my man. To your point, if the post-75 warning involves soul purists' disdain, then yes, some of my list would be offensive to them. However, I think the rule was more of a general looking down upon disco and dance-related music with an overly liberal negative bias. Sure, a great deal of that stuff sucked, but in between it all, some great recordings were released beyond 1975. That rule aside, a number of soul/R&B artists dropped good albums beyond 1975 as well (e.g., Donny Hathaway/Roberta Flack, Teddy Pendergrass, The Stylistics, Michael Jackson, Curtis Mayfield, Bill Withers, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Minnie Riperton, Ray, Goodman, & Brown, Stevie Wonder, etc.). I just tried to avoid naming more obvious ones to make the task more challenging.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Isnt the "classic" Timmy Digalot more Braeks Yo! vs. Muscle Shoals?
    I was under the impression that these dudes were influenced by Diggin In The Crates back when the term was coined.
    Would a Dexter Wansel get passed over cause its not "Soul"?
    Would that mean they were getting a Latte Pas w/ Marvin Gaye - Here My Dear cause its not "classic" Motown?

• I'm confused.
    Aren't there like a shit ton of good records after '75?
    We just talkin soul and jazz?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The youngin' record dudes in my town are all about the early 80's dripping jheri curl juice boogie which kinda annoys me because they purposefully by-pass the funk staples/classics from back then in favor of what I consider to be inferior artists/songs all in the name of unearthing something obscure. In the midst of them spinning straight cheese, I'm always like, can't you just throw on Don't Fight the Feeling by One Way or some actual good shit?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    NachoManCandySandwich said:
    For the boogies I think 1983 is a good indicator year.
    Certainly not a rule, but I bet some people out there would agree.

I think 81 was THEE year for Boogie. 82 has some nice joints too. 83 is creeping into drum machine territory.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Solar Records - the Motown of the Jheri-Curl Sound.

HarveyCanal said:
    The youngin' record dudes on Soul Strut are all about the early 80's dripping jheri curl juice boogie which kinda annoys me because they purposefully by-pass the funk staples/classics from back then in favor of what I consider to be inferior artists/songs all in the name of unearthing something obscure.

The 3-Piece Suit Pink Activator Soul© is the new Funky Black Man Soul.
    But I dont wanna beat the dead horse of Modern Soul/Boogie.

PCMR had that 90's R&B Retro Party thread last year and im interested to see what "obscure" 90's B & C Level 90's shit gets dug up by a newer generation that's graduated from Boogie.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Always loved the majority of 'Secrets' by Herbie Hancock , released 1976

LaserWolf said:
    What are the rules today?

Does it sound good? Listen to it.

That and...

LaserWolf said:

No strings.

I cry when I think of how many ridiculous rhythm section grooves are destroyed 16 bars in when the treble'y ass strings come screeching in.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    they are working on another mix..if you bring in international 90s RnB you can get a fresh wave of things
    France (dreaded boogie collectors as they be) had an interesting period in the mid-90s of funk break backed party anthem RnB that crossed over and had rap features..the sound is similar to what was happening stateside. Soul crossed over to latin-america and europe but it seems R-n-B was never embraced by the whole world as a genre to emulate.

Boogie fans dont necesaraily forgo the funk Harvey but its true that its a wild goose chase (ala random rap) to just unearth somedude with a prophet synth that no one has heard of) 8s was the period were recording your own stuff got more affordable and drummachine and syth made everyone think (including eddie murphy) they could sing

JectWon said:
    I cry when I think of how many ridiculous rhythm section grooves are destroyed 16 bars in when the treble'y ass strings come screeching in.

Philly Soul has great string sections.
    I dont see a problem.

No problem here with strings done well, ala Barry White.

And for me, the boogie scene is into the music for different reasons than I'm accustomed to, especially as someone who was around in the early 80's when all of that music was first coming out. Boogie doesn't capture a funk vibe to me like it think it does. Rather than down and dirty, it's more executive class.

HarveyCanal said:
    No problem here with strings done well, ala Barry White.

And for me, the boogie scene is into the music for different reasons than I'm accustomed to, especially as someone who was around in the early 80's when all of that music was first coming out. Boogie doesn't capture a funk vibe to me like it think it does. Rather than down and dirty, it's more executive class.

BOOGIE

FUNK

batmon said:
    JectWon said:

Philly Soul has great string sections.
    I dont see a problem.

You're right...this is why I kinda hate creating strict rules. I'd just be cautious of jawns that have string arrangements all over them; some can be pretty distracting.

For instance (and I fully accept any verbal pistol whipping that comes with me hating on this), I love the way Roy Ayers' 'Papa Was a...' cover starts but those goddamn strings give me a headache.

Can you honestly say those strings add to the pretty slick groove that the rhythm section created? Sometimes it seemed like folks thought you weren't really doing it big if you didn't have a string section; even it didn't really contribute to the overall sound.

To each their own, though...if you like it, you like it. Strings have always been something that I've approached with caution when digging because it can be done so wrong so often, personally.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    batmon said:

BOOGIE

FUNK

Bravo. :-)

Anything that I think I've never seen before intrigues me and is likely to get some attention unless it's pre 60's and not jazz, do-wop, rock, or blues.

JectWon said:

Can you honestly say those strings add to the pretty slick groove that the rhythm section created?

Heck yeah, the strings make it better. Reminds me of this...

HarveyCanal said:
    JectWon said:

Can you honestly say those strings add to the pretty slick groove that the rhythm section created?

Heck yeah, the strings make it better. Reminds me of this...

Ok, well I'm fuckin' nuts, then...because I dig your submission but do not enjoy the Ayers one. I just think the Ayers track would sound better without the strings at all.

Well, the Temptations original was all about the strings, so anyone covering the song would likely see them as necessary.

Nope...fuck your level headed and perfectly rational logic and fuck strings.

HarveyCanal said:
    Well, the Temptations original was all about the strings, so anyone covering the song would likely see them as necessary.

hello

JectWon said:
    Nope...fuck your level headed and perfectly rational logic and fuck strings.

Dance, sucker...

Ive heard the "no strings" thang before, and I dont get it?

Is there some notion that Soul/Funk loses something when an orchestra or string section is present?

Is it less "Funk Blackman Soul-ish" or somethin'?

Is it really a sonic reason or a perception reason?

batmon said:

Is there some notion that Soul/Funk loses something when an orchestra or string section is present?

Honestly, for me if it isn't done "right", it just sounds bad...like, literally uncomfortable to my ears.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Sun - Time is Passing is ruined by a screeching solo violin extravagant escape but string arrangements have enhanced many disco/boogie tracks

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    batmon said:

I'm not anti-strings, but the strings in that song suck, he's right.
    I think some foos find strings too bourgie/classicalmusicman
    Barry White lived off strings and made em great, same with Gene Page shit and some great disco tracks.

Answering the question, I like Bernard Wright. Made great tracks all after 1975.