Soul Boulders 2

Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
Still listen to this mix often. Great stuff. Did anyone ever post a track list? Still some joints on here I would like to ID.

Comments

• Definitely.

Been bumping this since November regularly.

• I'm really surprised to see no one has posted a tracklist or has recently discussed this mix. This mix is one of my favorites. I'm somewhat of a new record collector and it got me away from the typical uptempo, break related funk records. If anyone can help with the tracklist below, feel free to assist. I did okay but the songs, especially at the end are still a mystery to me.

1. Daz Rene - Change
    2. Rhythm Machine - Whatcha Gonna Do
    3. The New Birth - Been Such A Long Time
    4. Sidney Owens - Sputnik
    5. ?
    6. Darling Dears - I Don't Think I'll Ever Love Another
    7. Leon Haywood - Long As There's You
    8. The Webs - It's So Hard To Break The Habit
    9. Thomas East - Slipping Around
    10. The Prophet & His Disciples - The Pusher
    11. ?
    12. Edwards Generation - That's How Much I Love Her
    13. Eric & The Vikings - It's Too Much
    14. Honey & The Bees - Do You Understand
    15. Page Three - Wait One Minute Baby
    16. Chain Reaction - Lady In Red
    17. The Meters - Heartache
    18. Bobby Reed - If I Don't Love You
    19. Danny Hunt - The Beginning of the Void
    20. Soul Children - Signed, Sealed & Delivered
    21. Barbara Lee Eager - When I'm With You
    22. Mavis Staples - I've Learned To Do Without You
    23. Johnny Braff - This Girl Is A Good Girl
    24. Charlie Jones - She's A Right On Girl
    25. Charles May - Keep My Baby Warm
    26. Willie & The Magnificents - Make Me Your Slave
    27. Fontella Bass - Freedom
    28. Allen Toussaint - Go Back Home
    29. ?
    30. Sisters Love - Got To Move Your Mind
    31. Barbara & Brenda - That's When You Got Soul
    32. ?
    33. Gospel Clouds - Let Us Pray
    34. Sass - I Only Wanted To Love You
    35. The Majestics - Key To Love
    36. The Relatives - More Time To Explain
    37. Main Attraction - Keep On Walking
    38. Intensive Heat - Keep An Eye On Your Close Friend
    39. Edge of Daybreak - Our Love
    40. Lady Margaret & Perry Smith - Out In Space

Thanks,
    Chris

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    #21 is Brenda Lee Eager. I just text her now and asked her if she had a sister ::oof::

• The main attraction - keep on walking is one of the last few, the two after that blow me away as well, would love to know them, and I know the last track is out in space by lady Margaret and perry smith

This mix totally blows my mind every time I hear it, one of my absolute favorites, just the sound I love

EDIT: also, gospel clouds - let us pray is another favorite towards the end that I don't see on the list

• It's great to see folks still discussing this mix three years later. The song selections are great but to me it's the transitions between songs that really make it sublime. I obsessed over the identities of several of the songs for months and months after it came out but the trail went cold for me on a bunch of 'em. The only one I can add to the list above is #22 (approx. 43:30 to 44:07) which is "This Girl Is A Good Girl" by Johnny Braff. #23 ("that's what I wanna do for this girl"), or maybe you're calling it #24, is the one that's been killing me for the past three years. Gorgeous song, absolutely no clue what it is. But I'm pretty sure it's just this one and the Braff between Brenda Lee Eager and Charles May.

• Thanks all. There's definitely a #24 in between the above mentioned songs. Beautiful song whatever it is. I updated the tracklist. Happy to know the before unknown track by the Main Attraction "Keep On Walking". Great tune...

And totally agree with Spirit_of_66, the transitions really elevate the mix to another level. Glad to see people showing interest.

• this mix and trap door have stayed in constant rotation. house, car, work etc... does anyone have a line on the first Soul Boulders? i searched for it awhile back but nothing came up...

• 39 is Edge Of Daybreak "Our Love"

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    39 is Edge Of Daybreak "Our Love"

Cool!

Looks like an interesting LP. Definitely new to me.

• highnotes said:
    this mix and trap door have stayed in constant rotation. house, car, work etc... does anyone have a line on the first Soul Boulders? i searched for it awhile back but nothing came up...

RAJ has it archived

• Edge of daybreak track is excellent to know, it always hits me so hard, the emotions in this mix run real high, I could imagine it's near impossible to listen to for some.....

Third to last track is intensive heat - keep an eye on your close friend

Agreed on the transitions as well, lots of light sound effects added in that really aid in the transitions too

• Feldman said:
    Edge of daybreak track is excellent to know, it always hits me so hard, the emotions in this mix run real high, I could imagine it's near impossible to listen to for some.....

Third to last track is intensive heat - keep an eye on your close friend

Agreed on the transitions as well, lots of light sound effects added in that really aid in the transitions too

Thanks Feldman. Added it to the tracklist.

Does anyone know #24? Could be my favorite on the mix. It's so short too. I'm guessing it's longer but was cut out early.

• #22 (41:00 to 43:28) is "I Have Learned To Do Without You" by Mavis Staples. Still haven't gotten anywhere with #24.

• Hey, #24 is Charlie Jones - She's a Right On Girl on B and B recs, also released on a Sum-Ma 45. You guys got most of 'em figured out though! Cool that there's still a few ?'s in there, and that most of the missing titles left are not crazy tough to find. Thanks for all the kind words on the mix, we worked very carefully on the thing so it means a lot to me, and certainly would have to Matthew as well.

• Hi Josh!

• What's up Tommy!

• peacefulrotation said:
    Hey, #24 is Charlie Jones - She's a Right On Girl on B and B recs, also released on a Sum-Ma 45. You guys got most of 'em figured out though! Cool that there's still a few ?'s in there, and that most of the missing titles left are not crazy tough to find. Thanks for all the kind words on the mix, we worked very carefully on the thing so it means a lot to me, and certainly would have to Matthew as well.

Thanks Josh. Very much appreciated.

• cookbook said:
    highnotes said:
    this mix and trap door have stayed in constant rotation. house, car, work etc... does anyone have a line on the first Soul Boulders? i searched for it awhile back but nothing came up...

RAJ has it archived

RAJ, you didn't even bother to ask to post this SB1 mix. There was a reason it wasn't online...WTF

• RAJ, please take that mix down. Free download even?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    peacefulrotation said:
    RAJ, please take that mix down. Free download even?

If it makes you feel any better, I DL'd it, and it's @192, so it went straight into the recycle bin. Listened though, and that made me want to find a 320/WAV.
    No luck yet.

• Duderonomy said:
    peacefulrotation said:
    RAJ, please take that mix down. Free download even?

If it makes you feel any better, I DL'd it, and it's @192, so it went straight into the recycle bin. Listened though, and that made me want to find a 320/WAV.
    No luck yet.

Ha! Duly noted. I actually can't really tell between 192 and 320, but of course I always try to opt for the higher BR when possible. When I'm done with all this other work this fall, I'll mix down a proper 320 and make it available.

• I don't think I ever heard the first one in the series. Good stuff!

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Man, seeing his pieces roll through e-bay right now is heartbreaking.