October Finds

ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
From the swap meet

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Electrode said:
    From the swap meet

Nice haul, played that Lou Donaldson today myself.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    stratasphere said:
    Electrode said:
    From the swap meet

Nice haul, played that Lou Donaldson today myself.
    '

Thanks. That cover makes me feel happy and smile.

• The wife had a conference for work last Thurs. thru Sunday in Hilton Head and I got to tag along. I headed down there dreaming of all the southern-fried soul/funk/r&b records I was gonna find, and man there are a TON of thrift stores in that area. I must have hit up a dozen or more between Hilton Head and Savannah, and all except one were chud-tastically disappointing, like worse than the worst Goodwill you've ever seen. That one store, though, made up for all the others with an unexpected helping of latin heat. Savannah (not that I had much time there) was truly disappointing on the record front, though I feel like there's gotta be good stuff in that city if you know the right places. Best thing I found there was Tricks BBQ on Bull St.

• Electrode said:
    From the swap meet

Nice haul mon, what's Drum Strum and Drumsville like? Are we talking some good breaks? Landlord OST has a nice brake.

Beatsoup said:
    Electrode said:
    From the swap meet

Nice haul mon, what's Drum Strum and Drumsville like? Are we talking some good breaks? Landlord OST has a nice brake.

"Drum Strum" is George Marsh & John Abercrombie on 1750 Arch (same label as Denny Zeitlin's "Expansion") from '82. No breaks I can recall from listening to it over the weekend; just really good fusion as a duo with no one else. They also play African thumb piano and mandolin, respectively. "Drumsville" is Earl Palmer's album debut from 1961, so no breaks on that one, either. I just got it just because, well, it's Earl Palmer (who plays on the David Clayton-Thomas and Axelrod pictured above, too. Speaking of which, for the sake of disclosure, the Axelrod is probably a 90s/early 00's reissue based on the white gatefold. I never heard it before - late pass - and it was cheap.) "The Landlord" soundtrack is cool. I saw the Hal Ashby film before knowing about the break. I think Earl plays on that one, too.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Nice haul. Jazz Raga = the price of admission.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Electrode said:
    From the swap meet

Is this from PCC? Nice on the Urbaniak

got these two in the last week

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Nice find on the Kirkland Guzzo. Wish his catalogue wasn't so thin.

• Nice electrode, songs of experience is greatness. It changed my life a bit. Songs of innocence is like the first half they go together... Those drum titles are decieving.

Here's some stuff I've copped. Couple turds in here, couple good ones. Another Axelrod reissue, 10$ not bad.
    Attached files

Guzzo said:
    Electrode said:
    From the swap meet
    Is this from PCC?

Yep. Congrats on the MJK. Now you have the other half! This weekend, I was in the South Bay and picked up these.
    Attached files

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Couple things recently. Some oddities outside of my normal listening. Bought the "Hard as nails" for the cover (File under: Vinyl fetish).
     photo 20141018_101143_zpsd1468060.jpg
     photo 20141018_101219_zps611af2ef.jpg

• Some nice finds up in here!

Caught this at the Goodwill today along with a few other records. Nice copy too.

I'm pretty stoked to say the least!