True Detective

Comments

• rootlesscosmo said:
    given what we know about Rust and the fact that the head dude was cleared despite Rust having found the video tape in his house, are we really to believe that Rust wouldn't continue this crusade after he's recovered?

the answer is almost definitely yes. everything we were made to believe about his character is that despite his obvious human faults and tacet nihilism he is unflinchingly devoted to justice and concepts of 'right', even at the cost of compromising the values he's set for himself.

lazy, flatline of an ending. we were told to suspend our reality in the first two acts and then accept the outcome as 'real'? come on.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    It must be next to impossible to make a teevee show.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    It must be next to impossible to make a teevee show.

imagine 'motorbreath' off kill em all ended with a gentle fade out

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

so what else is good on the tube these days? looking for a new series, any recommendations?

Since TD has finished I've just started watching this:

Danish/Swedish murder mystery from 2011. Body found on the bridge border between Denmark and Sweden. There is a US version which i am avoiding.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

imagine 'motorbreath' off kill em all ended with a gentle fade out

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MOTOR BA RETH ENDS BECAUSE I'VE KNOCKED MYSELF OUT BY THE ONE MINUTE MARK

Honestly though bro that a teevee show even turns out half as cool as this one sorta did--it's amazing.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    cai said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

so what else is good on the tube these days? looking for a new series, any recommendations?

Since TD has finished I've just started watching this:

Danish/Swedish murder mystery from 2011. Body found on the bridge border between Denmark and Sweden. There is a US version which i am avoiding.

I liked the US version. Didn't see the OG

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    just finished watching it - gar-ba-gio.
    I was expecting a lot left unsaid and realized that they had worked themselves into a corner, but cripes- this tepid mess of caricatures and lazy heroics?

I just started watching Boardwalk Empire the other day, I'm off to see Paz be naked.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I don't even think Paz is acting in that series. Pretty sure she just shows up on set as her own drunken naked self. She's good to look at though so no argument here...

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Now that I've had time to reflect, I realize that the main interest in this show (in addition to the cinematography and the two lead performances) was the multiple timelines. Figuring out the mystery of what happened to the two detectives between the 2002 interviews and the 1995 investigation was quite compelling, especially with Harrelson and McCoughnahey portraying the changes so well.
    When the two timelines were reconciled and all the action took place in the present (episodes 7 and 8) the whole thing felt flat and more like a typical tv crime show.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I am wondering if they had to shorten the story when HBO only ordered 8 episodes instead of the regular 12/13, would explain loose plot ties that would normally be addressed. Not to mention the whole show was written and directed solely by Pizzolatto and Fukunaga. So it is hard to believe they didnÔÇÖt have a motive for all the symbolism and visual clues.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    also here is a great theory from a guy on reddit about the show...

http://www.reddit.com/r/TrueDetective/comments/202k3t/metafiction_as_an_explanation_of_true_detective/

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    chase said:

Interesting. Part of me doesn't think Pizzolatto actually thought it through that well, but it was an interesting read, even if just for the rereading of Ledoux's lines. They all make so much more sense now. Obviously Pozzolatto thought that part through, so maybe he does deserve some more credit.

It seemed as if he built something up and then fumbled. Maybe he just didn't know how to carry out his point.

And in regards to the number of episodes. 8 episodes has been common for new hbo shows lately. I think it's probably their "safe" allotment in case it's a dud. Even far less deep shows like Looking or Hello Ladies felt incredibly short at 8 episodes.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    we all fucking blew it

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Wow

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Right above the swoosh and his nipple is a tattoo of Mathew M in Dallas Buyers Club.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn confirmed to star in True Detective Season 2 and Justin Lin is set to direct the first two episodes.
    https://www.facebook.com/TrueDetective/posts/773442516031091

say it ain't so

• damms said:
    Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn confirmed to star in True Detective Season 2 and Justin Lin is set to direct the first two episodes.
    https://www.facebook.com/TrueDetective/posts/773442516031091

say it ain't so

I foresee a Fast and Furious tie-in and, perhaps if we're lucky, some sort of nod to Vince Vaughn's amazing work in the Psycho remake!

• In all fairness, who was checking for Matthew M that hard before True Detective/Dallas Buyers. Ferrel could end up pulling something off and maybe Vaughn is to be the new Woody. I can possibly see it.

I think the director change is gonna hurt.

• Yeah this news has seriously downed my hype over the second season. Colin is bad enough but Vince Vaughn? True, Matthew McConaughey was more Matthew Mahogany until last year when everyone started feeling him but I can't see VV making the same transition.

• But were people really checking for Woody? I mean he's always been kind of great, but it's not like people were going nuts over him in Hunger Games.

VV may pull it off.

• toby.d said:
    Yeah this news has seriously downed my hype over the second season.

• Woody was so great as a Bad Cop in Rampart so he was always going to be good in it. MM had only recently transformed into a very good actor.
    However, these two.. well I hope they each get given a complex character and are dropped into some fucked up shit.
    Plus, where they are shooting it is going to count for a lot too IMO

• I want to see who else they cast. Collin is one of 3 law enforcement leads and VV is supposed to be a bad guy trying to make good. I will say Collin has the chops to play a conflicted character, loved him in In Bruges with Brendan Gleeson which was a different kind of fracked up world...

• I can sympathize with those doubtful of the casting choices but also feel fairly confident in the show runner dude to come through with a compelling final product - and one that addresses ideas of a sophomore slump and drops some heavy fan servicing in a True Detective story than can live up to the long history of L.A. noir. No pressure...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    white_tea said:
    I can sympathize with those doubtful of the casting choices but also feel fairly confident in the show runner dude to come through with a compelling plagiarized final product

WH-Can act
    MM-Can't act, still can't, just talks slow and deliberately, making you think he's saying something

CF-Can act
    VV-Can't act, will talk slow and deliberately, making you think he's saying something

I thought they were gonna cast 2 women. At least that woulda been interesting.

• The_Non said:
    white_tea said:
    I can sympathize with those doubtful of the casting choices but also feel fairly confident in the show runner dude to come through with a compelling plagiarized final product

WH-Can act
    MM-Can't act, still can't, just talks slow and deliberately, making you think he's saying something

CF-Can act
    VV-Can't act, will talk slow and deliberately, making you think he's saying something

I thought they were gonna cast 2 women. At least that woulda been interesting.

Bigger-picture, as derivative at it is, True Detective still will be among the best shows on TV, a medium in which I keep my standards suitably in check.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    What's interesting is while I actually did not like True Detective, particularly the ending, I read the interviews with the creator and I like the cut of his jib a lot. Go figure.

• I'm more concerned about the directing choice than either Farrell or Vaughn. Can the dude responsible for the bulk of the Fast & Furious franchise do creepy atmospheric thriller? Or are they going in a completely different direction? Isn't Fukunaga supposed to direct some episodes again? I think Farrell and Vaughn could both do something interesting/memorable with the right material, but it's all about the direction.

• [quote author="d I like the cut of his jib a lot. Go figure. < Matthew Berry is that you?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    was going to put this in the new movie thraed but couldn't find it... still it's relevant here: if you liked TD, then watch Cold In July. shit is so menacing... solid noir with a dash of black comedy.