computer programming

spoonieteespoonietee 110 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
hi all

often-lurker, less often-poster, introduced myself a couple times i believe. i'm wondering, do we have any professional/amateur/hobbyist/whatever programmers here? i've begun researching basic computer science, just finished 'code: the hidden language of computer hardware and software', i'm a few chapters in to 'think python', playing around in LightTable and Terminal on me macbook. i've not been thusly captivated by any other intellectual pursuit--unbelievably fascinating stuff. i don't have any specific question, i'm just wondering if there are similarly interested folks here?

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I have a Bachelors in Computer Science. It's a field that's very vast so you can get in to a lot of different sub fields and find something that interests you more within the context of comp sci.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    learning python right now so i can automate myself out of a job

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    ha! a python program recently 'retired' me from my job, bless it.. i haven't looked back

• c/c++/java dude here.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I learned Pascal in high school.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ost said:
    I have a Bachelors in Computer Science. It's a field that's very vast so you can get in to a lot of different sub fields and find something that interests you more within the context of comp sci.

Mine says "Computation". Our gaffer was the last Ph.D student of the one ALAN TURING.

The money was in knowing "How"; the interesting things are all in knowing "Why".

I was teed-up for a Ph.D but then being poor got in the way.

A man who knows how will always work for a man who knows why.

And then that man will be put out of work by someone who also knows how, in a country where they work for peanuts.

Still, without the internet, there would be no Strut.

Sailor V.

PatrickCrazy said:
    learning python right now so i can automate myself out of a job

HSssssssssss....

• I have a masters in computer science. I have done absolutely nothing with it besides a bit of rudimentary HTML and some SQL.

Others with more ambition than me would make a killing.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    neil_something said:
    I have done absolutely nothing with it besides a bit of rudimentary HTML and some SQL.

No TPS reports for you, I guess.

mickalphabet said:
    ha! a python program recently 'retired' me from my job, bless it.. i haven't looked back

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Our gaffer was the last Ph.D student of the one ALAN TURING.

Must have some interesting stories to tell.

I have a masters in Computer Science. Working as a social games dev now. On the job, it's C#/actionscript/whatever. For personal projects, it's C/C++. But anything goes, really. Once you learn to program, you can pick up any language depending on needs/preferences.

A scripting language like Python is a good starting point. Fairly readable syntax, loads of libs and a big community. Used a lot in academia, actually. I'm not that familiar with Lighttable, but it looks a nice, intuitive tool. I assume you're interested in the more creative side of programming. Also lots of javascript/HTML5 thingamajigs out there you can do fun stuff with. Processing (the framework) might also be interesting. If you get a taste for working with compiled languages and you're not scared of C++, you can take a look at creative coding frameworks like OpenFrameworks and Cinder.

For audio synthesis/processing (my personal interest), you can look at things like Pure Data, Csound, Faust, SuperCollider, ChucK a.o.

Have a nice journey down the wormhole; its a fun and schizophrenic ride. Long stretches of feeling like the dumbest person on earth sprinkled with moments of being The Master Of Code.

m_dejean said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    Our gaffer was the last Ph.D student of the one ALAN TURING.

Must have some interesting stories to tell.

He was unfortunately a horrible piece of work on many levels. I heard from his peers that he fell out with Turing in a big way; I could certainly see why. He was obviously smart but very jaded and relished crushing the confidence out of smart kids like a sadistic boa constrictor. I put myself through education after having a shitty job in a plastic plant, so I was used to clowns like this and their BS from day one.

I did programming after I graduated, mostly games and flight sim HUD stuff, flight models and 3d z-clipping in C and assembly. On japanese-only processors. Long weeks working on deep bugs. Working for people who had no idea of what they were asking you to achieve. Boring co-workers. Those long Winter nights just flew by.

I decided full-time coding wasn't for me as I like gassing too much, so I got into support and infrastructure where there was more talking, more variety and people actually thanked you for fixing stuff. Been doing this as a contractor since. I do have to write code from time to time, but you can usually find what you need on the internet and jig it.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    :get_on_my_level: () {
    :get_on_my_level:
    |
    &
    };

• I have nothing but a rudimentary knowledge of programming concepts. I wrote stuff in BASIC and Turing back in grade school. Also made shitty HTML/Javascript sites for myself. My uncle paid me to make him a website for his Mister Beer store.

That's all I have to contribute to this thread, but I find it really interesting, so I'll be lurking from here on out... lol