Wax Cabinet coming soon!

JasonH5JasonH5 12 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
What's up fellow diggers...The Wax Cabinet is in it's final design phase and we're looking to build with connect with diggers across the globe. Our goal is to transform the way the mobile digging experience...take a look at www.thewaxcabinet.com for more info and to sign up!

Comments

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Brace yourself...for teh' hate.

• I don't see any info.

• WELL ITS ABOUT FUCKING TIME

• This is about candle storage, right? Because, yes, it is about fucking time! My mobile candle inventory has been lacking to say the least. I'll roll up on a rare carnuba jasmine scented piece and be like "wait, do I own this already?" I mean, I fucks with the doubles for the club (the candle club, we meet on Tuesdays and trade), but sometimes I hate to blow my load unnecessarily, knawmsayin.

So excited about this!

• All jokes aside. Good luck.

• i'm building an app for grown men to meet up on their lunch break and play catch, with like.... baseball gloves and shit. just toss the ol' leather and string around like when things were a lot simpler..... let off some steam and that. i'm thinking about calling it "sweaty stranger mitts" or "the bull pen".... or maybe "catchR"

• Haters come. Haters go. Wax is forever! Until you burn it! . All jokes aside this isn't just some gimmick. This is an effort from diggers in Stockholm, LA, and seattle/tacoma. If you're interested at all register your email.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    So this isn't about a piece of furniture to store records. The use of the term wax in reference to vinyl makes me cringe. Good luck.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Limited 90s Wall of Fame Audience here. Too fancy for 40 somethings.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jason, thanks for sharing.

Can you let us know what your site will be doing that other sites are not?

Soulstrut and facebook have been a major resource for record nerds to meet and build community.

Discogs allows nerds to sell/trade and catalog their collections. They also are in full 'lets meet in the real world' mode.

What will WC add? How will you monetize it?

Controller_7: Best thing I have read here in a long time.

• LaserWolf said:
    Jason, thanks for sharing.

Can you let us know what your site will be doing that other sites are not?

Soulstrut and facebook have been a major resource for record nerds to meet and build community.

Discogs allows nerds to sell/trade and catalog their collections. They also are in full 'lets meet in the real world' mode.

What will WC add? How will you monetize it?

Controller_7: Best thing I have read here in a long time.

WC will be strictly a mobile app for now. While I can't go into full design features at this time, we will be leveraging the APIs of discogs, but in a more creative way to browse collections and connect individuals to buy and trade. As for the full "lets meet in real world" we are all for that as well. We will have the ability to search for local record stores, record fairs, and other meet-up opportunities. I totally understand SS, FB, and Waxidermy for that matter on building community, but there's an opportunity to have an app that leverages multiple resources and bridges the gaps that those sites have.

As for monetization, this is still up for debate on how we want to manage the revenue coming in. Do we charge a low amount to DL the app ($0.99) or do we have a free version and some areas a pay...would love to hear from you guys on what you think.

Thanks for the reply.
    Good luck.

• Laserwold...no problem

and Raj, that's a classic video!

• Hi JasonH5,

I'm using the iPhone 5s.
    When I click the link it just takes me to a blank black screen.

What is WAX CABINET?

Thanks.

Peace, stein...:)

• My 0.02...

The only way I see this kind of app being profitable long term is if you're planning on linking Discogs database/API as well as some sort of in-app payment system. So people can actually purchase records in-app. Otherwise, it's just another record listing aggregator. Record nerds can very easily check a favourite seller's Ebay page to browse what they're selling.

Actually... the more I think about it... Timmy Digalots will eat this up. Hell I spend time browsing stupid news sites to kill time on my phone... I'd browse through people's grails they're flossing lol.

I would not pay for it though. I think this is your sticking point. Even $1 is too much for an app that I don't NEED. But if people can buy/sell/trade records on it, they would likely pay more than $1.

Free app. $5 Upgrade to use in - app marketplace.

I'll invoice you for my time. :P

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Wax cabinets will fall over on children if you don't screw them in to a stud. The cabinet, not the children.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    You should charge $.99 for the app and allow for in-app pucrchases.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    volumen said:
    Wax cabinets will fall over on children if you don't screw them in to a stud. The cabinet, not the children.

THIS. The app should be free, with a $5 fee for mounting hardware.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Also it would be sick to put a game in it.

Amazon is now selling their smart phone for .99c.
    The app shouldn't be more expensive than the phone.

• Thanks for the input guys...the debate between free and paid is always a tough one...and we will still be debating this until launch, but definitely leaning towards free!