Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I dunno... kinda stupid to just be buying EVERYTHING. Just seems like blind accumulation, as opposed to collecting, as the article notes

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Was waiting for this story to pop up here... It's been making the rounds on social media and content aggregators lately.

Definitely not "saving" or "archiving" all those records though... Amassing them. Sure. Crazy $$ to be spending on it too!

That said, part of me likes this a lot.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    :weaksauce:

He's gonna hoard them in warehouses until something happens to them (fire or whatever), or until something happens to him, at which point they will probably get destroyed or something cause there's no way for the right people to get to them anymore as opposed to when they are in record stores or discogs/ebay etc. At record stores and discogs/ebay, the good ones are pointed out and available, not lost in a stack of millions of crappy ones.

By "good ones" I mean the ones that you like/want and by "crappy ones" I mean the ones that you don't like/want. Not trying to diss millions of records.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Dude is out of his mind. The idea of having a library with listening stations is cool, but beyond that, what is the point of trying to get every record ever made?

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    The bit when he buys a collection of 15,000 polka records... Madness

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    deezlee said:

He's gonna hoard them in warehouses until something happens to them (fire or whatever), or until something happens to him, at which point they will probably get destroyed or something cause there's no way for the right people to get to them anymore as opposed to when they are in record stores or discogs/ebay etc. At record stores and discogs/ebay, the good ones are pointed out and available, not lost in a stack of millions of crappy ones.

I would imagine every record dealer in São Paulo knows this guy and if something were to happen to him **cough cough** they would be chomping at the bit to get to his records.

Seriously though, it just sounds like he needs a lady friend to get his mind off records.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I think the guy has his heart in the right place...but I'm not sure if it's the best approach. Everyone seems to have mentioned the problems I see with it...The idea of consolidating a huge cache of history in one location (potential for total loss accidents) is what scares me the most.

ppadilha said:

I would imagine every record dealer in São Paulo knows this guy and if something were to happen to him **cough cough** they would be chomping at the bit to get to his records.

This just made me day dream of an imaginary record collectr0n who-done-it murder mystery film...that would be awesome. I wonder what it would be called...

• http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/2/6/5383616/the-tim-wallach-market

"Stackhouse does not want one of each Wallach card. He wants every single one of each card, and he is appealing to the general public to help him corner the Wallach Market by sending him all of their Tim Wallach cards. You can learn more about it at the site Stackhouse has set up at timwallach.blogspot.com, and if you have any spare Wallach cards of your own -- which is to say, if you have any Wallach cards of your own -- you might as well send them to him. He is asking politely, after all. For now. He was nice enough to talk to me about his quest."

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Uh hum...

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    ost said:
    Uh hum...

Exactly who I thought of when I read the article.

• There's also the dude who wants to own every single VHS copy that exists of the movie Speed.

ppadilha said:
    deezlee said:

Seriously though, it just sounds like he needs a lady friend to get his mind off records.

Yeah but will those record dealers in san pablo know which polka records to save? This dude's got me irked.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Paul Mahwinney finally unloaded his collection.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    deezlee said:

Read this when I got home yesterday.
    Was glad to hear Mawhinney and Murray got rid of their records.

If you read all the way through you will see that he does have some good collected record and does know his out of control.

Let's be clear, Joe Bussard has a collection, this guy has an accumulation.
    A bunch of interns entering random records into a database is not archiving. Wiping them with a cloth is not protecting.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This thread needs more comments.

Who here has sold to this guy?
    Should I quit taking records to Goodwill and start selling them to this guy in lots?

• My local shop (Platter World in Garfield NJ) is going out of business because the owner died. His daughter is trying to get rid of his personal collection and inventory of half a million that took him 75 years to accumulate. She keeps the shop open on weekends and everything is a flat price ($3 LPs, $1 45s) but expects to have to recycle whatever is left at the end of the summer. I let her know about this Brazilian guy and she's checking it out.
    In the meantime, it's a great place to dig and she's really trying to move as much as she can, so go if you can. Plenty of 12"s, jazz, rock, pop, soul, across the board.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Man, like in order to preserve these 'irreplaceable artifacts' that Zero is SO attached lets bring them to a place where the humidity is bound to hover around 90% for at least half the year. And for good measure lets wrap them in plastic tarps and stick them inna dank warehouse with a leaky roof. And then, well I think nothing says love like standing on them. GTFOOHWTBS.