Beisbol 2014: The Replay

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
This is the 2014 MLB thread.

My Giants are 6-2. Major improvement in our hitting so far over last season; let's see if our pitching holds up.

Went to our home opener yesterday. Old man Hudson (38 y/o, our major offseason acquisition) got the W. 75 degrees. Pre-game Bay cruise.

Feel free to post thoughts on the instant replay here.

Comments

• ugh... Knew it was gonna be a long summer for the D-backs after Corbin went out.... damn that kid was fun to watch pitch last year.

Also, FUCK KEVIN TOWERS! Even though it looks like the Trumbo deal was a great signing; this fucker knew the bullpen was our biggest problem and did jack shit to fix it.. Fuck.

If only Goldschmidt could face Lincecum every night.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm totally fascinated with Yasiel Puig.....dude is either a train wreck or a future HOFer waiting to happen.

Is Tanaka > Darvish?

Brandon Belt is the truth

The Fidel Castro beard fad will be gone by June.

CC Sabathia skinnied himself to sub .500

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    walter_chron said:

If only Goldschmidt could face Lincecum every night.

"Goldschmidt has hit the same number of home runs in 24 at-bats as the eight major league hitters Lincecum has faced most often ÔÇô Troy Tulowitzki, Miguel Montero, Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, Todd Helton, Justin Upton, Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp -- have hit in a total of 405 at-bats."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/giants/goldschmidt-lincecum-its-never-comfortable-bat

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Jeter (yeah jeets) definitely loafed on that near-HR double. Looked like he was out at second, too.

• you fucker

• vintageinfants said:
    you fucker

Who is the bigger moron - Pineda for going out there with that crap slathered in plain sight or Girardi for letting him do it?

b/w

Jeter is having an amazingly shitty game in the field. He's way past done and his Farewell Tour is going to be a funeral march.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:
    you fucker

Who is the bigger moron - Pineda for going out there with that crap slathered in plain sight or Girardi for letting him do it?

Yeah, how could anybody be that stupid?

If they are going to start cracking down on this get ready for half the pitchers in the game to get ejected this year.

• Horseleech said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:
    you fucker

If they are going to start cracking down on this get ready for half the pitchers in the game to get ejected this year.

Weak comparison, since Pineda was found out on camera in his first game against the Sox, then made the stuff impossible to miss the second time around. He's a moron. Lester did no such thing.

There won't be any crackdown unless Pineda-Girardi level idiocy is involved.

• LazarusOblong said:
    Horseleech said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:
    you fucker

Weak comparison, since Pineda was found out on camera in his first game against the Sox, then made the stuff impossible to miss the second time around. He's a moron. Lester did no such thing.

sure pal.

[removed][removed]

buchholz likes to grease up too.

• LazarusOblong said:
    Horseleech said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    vintageinfants said:
    you fucker

sure pal.

[removed][removed]

buchholz likes to grease up too.

Most pitchers do.

Most have the sense not to slop it all over their necks so they look like some sort of Salisbury steak.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Do you understand how fucking insane this is? If Pineda had lodged that pine tar in his asscrack, no one would have cared. His actual (nominal) cheating, then, wasn't the issue; the problem was that by being so IN YOUR FACE about it, he breached some nebulous form of baseball etiquette and thus deserved to be punished. Pine tar is apparently just a red button you push when you feel the need to call out a player who isn't following proper cheating decorum.
    http://deadspin.com/pine-tar-should-be-fully-legal-and-baseball-is-still-f-1567100538

the whole thing is bullshit. everyone uses it. nobody cares. but because it was one of the NYY/BOS 4 hour-9 inning circle jerks that anyone outside of those two markets is completely sick of, it's suddenly a big issue.

• this is CLASSSSSSSSIC

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    i am COMPLETELY at odds with myself between trying to balance the anger of knowing a single man makes $180,000 per game against the knowledge of this gif:

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    RIP Tony Gwynn!

for real though happy (50th) born day, Barry!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My Os are at the top of the AL East.
    Strange feeling.
    I hope to see a game sometime soon.

Out of curiosity, how did you end up an O's fan?

Also, this: http://oldtimefamilybaseball.com/post/73935637744/25-greatest-barry-bonds-facts

• rootlesscosmo said:

SAN FRANCISCO -- Longtime San Francisco Giants clubhouse manager Mike Murphy will testify about Barry Bonds' hat size, a Nike employee will discuss the slugger's feet and prosecutors will show the jury photographs of Bonds' growing physique during his career, court papers filed Monday showed.

In a witness list filed Monday, prosecutors outlined their planned evidence, most of which has been made public since a grand jury started meeting more than seven years ago. The prosecution said former San Francisco Giants teammate Bobby Estalella, and former Bonds girlfriend Kimberly Bell will testify Bonds told them he used steroids.

In addition, they said former Bonds assistant Steve Hoskins will testify he learned of Bonds' steroids use from both Bonds and personal trainer Greg Anderson, who is refusing to testify. And Kathy Hoskins, Bonds' former personal shopper, will testify she saw Bonds being injected by Anderson

I have tons of hats.

They're not all the same size.

I'm not much of a hitter, though.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I have tons of hats.

They're not all the same size.

I'm not much of a hitter, though.

i can cosine pirates barry, but not gigantes era barry.

b/w

NEVER FORGET

how could I?

dude was the greatest!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Out of curiosity, how did you end up an O's fan?

Also, this: http://oldtimefamilybaseball.com/post/73935637744/25-greatest-barry-bonds-facts

I'm from DC and went to Senators games as a kid.
    My wife is from Baltimore.
    Had to pass Colts test.

O's were easy to love, Palmer, Ripken, great ball park, great sports city.
    Of course I have been suffering the last decade or 2.
    Living in a non-baseball city most of the season I do little more than check the standings daily.
    Start watching post season when games are on free American TV.

Yeah Camden is high on my list.

Gonna be a good weekend.

"After a 5-2 trip away from the Bay Area, the first-place Giants (57-45) welcome the second-place Los Angeles Dodgers (56-47) to AT&T Park for a three-game weekend series that has must-see entertainment written all over it."

http://www.ktuu.com/sports/giants-ready-to-renew-rivalry-with-dodgers/27140572

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    it's been hot garbage so far, but the dodgers did come out of the all star break with their rotation lined up specifically for this series. mostly because don mattingly is a squinting shitstain.
    and now we have zito2.0 peavy taking the mound to scowl at batters and hang sliders. hopefully the bums don't get to pull their brooms out.

yeah a sweep would really ruin my weekend.

Giants did have the cosmic misfortune of facing a dialed-in Hamels, Greinke and Kershaw over a three day span.

• *chirp*

*chirp*

*FUCKING CHIRP*