The Official Soul Strut Skateboard Thread

Comments

• I'm 37 years old and I skate more than ever before. At least 3 times a week, but usually 6. I know some dudes in their 50's that kill it so I don't want to hear this old business.
    this is pretty much me, except im 33. i pretty much skate everyday these days. a couple of my friends have a skate/sneaker shop and we play games of skate all the time there. in the past couple ofmonths ive leaned a lot of tricks i could never do when i was younger; heelflips, nollie shoveits both ways, fakie frontside shoves, kickflip variels fakie and regs, backside flips, fakie flips. it really helps that i get to skate with some amazing people.

heres a few pics from 2 summers ago, ive lost about 25 pounds since these were taken, with my only exercise being skating and ping pong.

[
    Dude, dope spot.
    Where is that?

• corsiccorsic oakland, ca 232 Posts
    After having to get a bone graft done (hip bone -> wrist) due to a broken wrist that went undetected for about 6 months (thought it was sprained, initial x-ray showed no break - bone eventually died, didn't find out till I fell on it again and got a new x-ray 6 mo later), I decided I valued my ability to play musical instruments over continuing my mediocre skating abilities. I still can't bend my wrist back completely, and it's rather stiff - which doesn't help with drums. It was fun while it lasted though.

• Love skating, though now it's a longboard that's built for speed and carving... though I will still ride the bowl at the skatepark now and then. Some guys say having kids makes you put the board away... I say no, if anything it drives you onto your board, you just might be a little less aggro...unless you've got sweet life insurance.

• After having to get a bone graft done (hip bone -> wrist) due to a broken wrist that went undetected for about 6 months (thought it was sprained, initial x-ray showed no break - bone eventually died, didn't find out till I fell on it again and got a new x-ray 6 mo later), I decided I valued my ability to play musical instruments over continuing my mediocre skating abilities. I still can't bend my wrist back completely, and it's rather stiff - which doesn't help with drums. It was fun while it lasted though.

Damn, that's hardcore.

I have a metal bar, a bunch of pins in my leg, and a tether in my ankle from a 3 part ankle brake in 2005. Now it hurts everytime I kickflip, but I had good physical therapy and besides the pain, It's better than ever.

Someone was shooting. A second from the brake.

50-50 to broken ankle

They have pad nannies at this park (Glendale). This place is raw and has taken out a lot of people. As you can see my balance was off. It's fast, tall, tight, and vert. The board shot out and when I came in, my leg was too close to the wall and broke outward. I said "FACK! I broke my ankle", and ran, rushing on adrenaline, out of the bowl on my seriously jacked up leg. I knew if I didn't get out of the bowl I'd be fusniked.

Layin on my sofa, jacked up on pills, I had a few moments of, what the F*ck am I doing. This is ridiculous, but as soon as I was better I got over it. I had the attitude that I got hit and now I have to fight back, metal to concrete.

• xmas '85 or '86. (sorry for the small pic.)

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've skated (badly) for like 25 years, never got very good because I kept hurting my ankles and eventually found playing guitar more gratifying and less painful. That said, I've always kept a cruiser set-up around and I still bust mine out for the occasional run to the supermarket or something like that. This is the one I've had for the last few years, gotta keep it record related:

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

this is me, circa '89. long live vert!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    Have you guys seen this?

• I'm 37 years old and I skate more than ever before. At least 3 times a week, but usually 6. I know some dudes in their 50's that kill it so I don't want to hear this old business.
    this is pretty much me, except im 33. i pretty much skate everyday these days. a couple of my friends have a skate/sneaker shop and we play games of skate all the time there. in the past couple ofmonths ive leaned a lot of tricks i could never do when i was younger; heelflips, nollie shoveits both ways, fakie frontside shoves, kickflip variels fakie and regs, backside flips, fakie flips. it really helps that i get to skate with some amazing people.

heres a few pics from 2 summers ago, ive lost about 25 pounds since these were taken, with my only exercise being skating and ping pong.

[
    Dude, dope spot.

Where is that?
    thats strawberry park in pasadena,tx(outside of houston)
    the spot is a round pavillion type thing. theres another wall like that on the opposite side of the circle and in between them on one side is a 3 tiered manual zone/stage.

my friend wil taylor kickflipped to fakie way up there on that wall

• Have you guys seen this?

I dare someone to talk shit about Cardiel riding a fixie.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This was posted before, pretty inspirational his coming back after that accident, I thought the dude was done for. Jake Phelps is a funny dude, just don't let him "borrow" your stuff.

• Jake Phelps is a funny dude, just don't let him "borrow" your stuff.

Got a story for us?

• Keep some decks up in the record room for decoration. As someone noted earlier, I always have a set-up ready to roll, but that doesn't happen all that much since moving to NC and getting babyfied. I was primarily a transportation skater... and that was much more convenient & efficient in Los Angeles than here in the South.

• My first skateboard. Billy Ruff

Tommy G. board

• Spot check. Been session here lately.

Check the Angiline billboard on the side.

Hollywood!

• Spot check. Been session here lately.

Check the Angiline billboard on the side.

Hollywood!

this the one just north of sunset near guitar center, with the 9' rims b-ball court? if so, theyve really spiffed the place up since i rode there (92-93)

• this the one just north of sunset near guitar center, with the 9' rims b-ball court? if so, theyve really spiffed the place up since i rode there (92-93)

NO IT'S NOT THAT PLACE. DON'T EVER MENTION IT AGAIN. NO SKATESPOTS IN LA AND NO RECORDS!

• ReedReed 97 Posts
    Been doing it since i was 8 years old... was Shop sponsored about two years ago but i havn't skated seriously in awhile. I wasted my early teenage years doing it constantly, 7th and 8th grade especially. Now it seems like all my friends are out getting fucked up and don't even care to call anymore so i'm just putting in work on the MPC lately. I miss it though

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

this the one just north of sunset near guitar center, with the 9' rims b-ball court? if so, theyve really spiffed the place up since i rode there (92-93)

NO IT'S NOT THAT PLACE. DON'T EVER MENTION IT AGAIN. NO SKATESPOTS IN LA AND NO RECORDS!

There's a similar spot near UCLA, at Seeds Elementary.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    here's me 11 years ago, jeez! bleached hair too. on the 360 flip tip...seems like so long ago. i wish i could still ride. damn ankles...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Just watched the Gino Epicly Later'd. Mad decent yo.

• these are old and things have been moved around a lil bit since they were taken.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

hangin in my friends kitchen. he's 21 i think. got it from an older friend of his. will probably be mine at some point:
    Photobucket

• i havent skated since august when i re-blew out my knee jumping over stacked up plastic chairs into a pool.
    fuckin bummed.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts

some pics from about 10 yrs ago...dont skate much anymore but i still think about it all the time!

• Started skating back in 92 or 93. Used to lug a full size VHS camcorder around in my backpack filming me and my friends. No footage digitized unfortunately. I think I have a VHS tape kicking around somewhere though. Stopped actually going out and skating spots/sessioning with friends when I was in my twenties. Still cruise around from time to time. Been thinking of getting a new setup just so I can go carve around the parks in Toronto.

I am pretty geeky with the Skate. series of video games... to the point where I live out my fantasies of making skate videos:

Clown if you like. But the most fun I've ever had with video games is when I'm filming tricks in Skate.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    http://www.phillyskateboards.com/

"Philadelphia, Amman's original name, is Latin for 'Brotherly Love' a most fitting name for the community of skaters who came together for the love of skating.

Philadelphia sourced the highest quality hardrock Canadian Maple, commissioned Arab designers to strut their graphics on them, and scouted skate talent for the team that will represent Philadelphia.

It wasn't long before Philadelphia rolled out on the streets of Jordan, Lebanon, UAE, Egypt, Tunisia, the rest of Arabia and internationally.

At its core, Philadelphia seeks to be a board company that is respected for its values of injecting Arabia's positive energy into the international skating scene, empowering a sense of freedom, deepening brotherly love, and prizing the lessons learnt from skating. "

• my friends and family made a video

• BeatChemist said:
    I am pretty geeky with the Skate. series of video games... to the point where I live out my fantasies of making skate videos:

Clown if you like. But the most fun I've ever had with video games is when I'm filming tricks in Skate.

This just blew my mind! Im not a video game guy but i play skate 3 on the weekly and for some reason never delved into the filming part of the game. All that is about to change! Why is my favorite, the music just gives it such a dope vibe.