I jumped out my ride and I said "what's up?"
    This dude ain't had the mounting brackets, so I said "I'm stuck"

Never had girls peepin me, so I'ma glide and swerve
    they elbows so busted, I straight hit the curb
    Won'tcha think of better things than some horny tricks
    I see a Strutter and potential danger is all up in his mix

I'm gettin confused, I'm second guessing myself
    I can't believe I'm risking my own health
    Will the shelf be sturdy, or is it gonna flex?
    I looked at the seller and said "Damn, what's next?"

The shelf was standing up, but now it's on the ground
    I guess they all underestimated it going straight pound for pound
    I gotta come up real quick before they start to frown
    I best pull out my brackets and secure them busters down

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    fuuuuck. YOU KNOW WHAT??? I HAD ALL BUT WRITTEN THIS SITE OFF BUT THIS WEEK AND THIS ^^^^ POST???!!!!

b/w T I was on flights but your text did come in and i do have your back. When i get home for a sec we'll cash that chip

Soulstrut might make it after all.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    the brackets are the base and the base reduces trouble

Studs
    Screws
    We brings
    Stability
    Deeply sunk
    where safety saves life
    and life enjoys rhythm

If you know like I know
    you don't wanna mess with this
    It's the Earthquake era
    funked out with some climbing kids
    if you organize like I organize
    then you mount like everyday
    and if your ass is a buster
    Gravity will regulate

--------

C, no rush. Thanks dude. Happy to hear!

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Screwing a crappy unit into a stud doesn't make it any stronger.

(pause)

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    This thread went from innocuous to argumentative to transcendent in an amazingly short time. Impressive.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    if your kid is not an idiot you can actively discourage them from climbing on everything and that seems to me a way better way to prevent accidental deathing

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    if your kid is not an idiot you can actively discourage them from climbing on everything and that seems to me a way better way to prevent accidental deathing

Saying. My lady is as protective as the average mom or maybe even moreso, but when I broached the idea of anchoring the expedit against the efforts of our 13-month-old, she didn't think it was necessary. It's like lead paint in a wayÔÇöyou can spend your whole life trying to avoid it, or you can just teach your kid not to eat paint chips.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    accidental deathing

Desus Vs. Mero reference? Please say yes.

stay woke, dawg.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    stay woke, dawg.

#phlebotomist

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    My apartment now has a shelving unit I designed and built that holds about 6000 records, it isn't anchored at all and an 800 lb gorilla couldn't get it to budge an inch. That's what you can do when you aren't an hysterical alarmist and use actual principles of construction to build things.

I climb on these all of time, none of them have ever moved an inch. Number of children killed so far stands at zero.

I think we all need photographic evidence showing you, preferably striking a King Kong style pose on top of your 6.000 record shelf.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I really wish I had the chops to edit this gif and put an expedit in place and have the car from regulate video (Part where it crashes into the garbage cans) plow into the kid.

In any case. This thread...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Frank said:
    Horseleech said:
    My apartment now has a shelving unit I designed and built that holds about 6000 records, it isn't anchored at all and an 800 lb gorilla couldn't get it to budge an inch. That's what you can do when you aren't an hysterical alarmist and use actual principles of construction to build things.

I climb on these all of time, none of them have ever moved an inch. Number of children killed so far stands at zero.

I think we all need photographic evidence showing you, preferably striking a King Kong style pose on top of your 6.000 record shelf.

Unfortunately I'm a poor substitute for an 800 lb gorilla, but I'll try!

Horseleech said:
    Frank said:
    Horseleech said:

So my attempts at a King Kong selfie only resulted in a close up of my t-shirt, but here's the shelves:

Made it about two years ago. Death toll still at zero. COULD GO UP AT ANY MOMENT.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    That candle is like pretty close to your vinyl, dude. My guess is all of your records are warped. I'd hate to be you when you make that discovery.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Saying. My lady is as protective as the average mom or maybe even moreso, but when I broached the idea of anchoring the expedit against the efforts of our 13-month-old, she didn't think it was necessary. It's like lead paint in a wayÔÇöyou can spend your whole life trying to avoid it, or you can just teach your kid not to eat paint chips.

If kids weren't so stupid nothing bad would happen to them. Great argument.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Horseleech said:
    Frank said:
    Horseleech said:

So my attempts at a King Kong selfie only resulted in a close up of my t-shirt, but here's the shelves:

Made it about two years ago. Death toll still at zero. COULD GO UP AT ANY MOMENT.

Nice shelves. Making them like an L increases their sturdiness no doubt. Unfortunately saying because this stays up when climbed so will and expedit makes no sense what so ever. But thanks for making this thread great!

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    That candle is like pretty close to your vinyl, dude. My guess is all of your records are warped. I'd hate to be you when you make that discovery.

Controller_7 said:

It didn't go too bad...

Dub.

volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Kids are smart enough to learn not to climb on record shelves. If you let your kid climb on your expedit and it falls on them you are an idiot and a bad parent

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This ^

I raised two kids who were constantly around my expedits (neither are bracketed to the wall) and I never had a single thought of them falling. Teach your kids not to touch certain schitt and you're all good.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Do you guys attach any sort of foam or soft material to the corners of your units? (ayooooooo)

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Regulators...

Mount up.

It was a clear black night, a clear white moon
    Mike B was on a mission, trying to consume
    Some shelves for the eve, to put up in his home
    Just Rollin in his ride, chillin all alone

Just hit the east side of Strut City
    On a mission trying to find mr Michael B
    Seen a car full of girls, all they elbows weak
    All you skirts know what's up with record geeks

So I looks around on ebay and craigslist
    A local dude's selling, so I said "let's do this."
    I jumped out my ride and I said "what's up?"
    This dude ain't had the mounting brackets, so I said "I'm stuck"

Never had girls peepin me, so I'ma glide and swerve
    they elbows so busted, I straight hit the curb
    Won'tcha think of better things than some horny tricks
    I see a Strutter and potential danger is all up in his mix

I'm gettin confused, I'm second guessing myself
    I can't believe I'm risking my own health
    Will the shelf be sturdy, or is it gonna flex?
    I looked at the seller and said "Damn, what's next?"

The shelf was standing up, but now it's on the ground
    I guess they all underestimated it going straight pound for pound
    I gotta come up real quick before they start to frown
    I best pull out my brackets and secure them busters down
    Dawg!!!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Fuck it...i'm gonna buy the expedit sans brackets. If the schitt falls, so be it.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Isn't the fact that they have no lateral support the biggest problem w/ those shelves? Once you've got them loaded they will want to float side to side. So make sure an end is butted against a wall or put some backing material on them, or x brace with wire or whatever.... Please keep in mind this is coming from a guy who for yrs stored thousands of records using plywood and milk crates, though I did recently up my game.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm glad I grew up in the 60s.
    The world was safer then.
    No seatbelts in the back seat.
    4-5 kids in the wayback of the station wagon.
    Riding on open truck beds.
    No covers on the wall sockets.
    Drapes had ropes.
    Walking on my own through the woods.
    Taking the bus down town.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    volumen said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Not even sure I follow you, but I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to try any more than I already have.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    I'm afraid y'all are gonna have to re-have your futile argument about how kids + Expedits - brackets = daethzone because the Expedit has been redesigned to have a THINNER exterior structure. In fact, the Expedit doesn't even exist anymore. Bow to your new shelving overloard: KALLAX. (Totally sounds like a Star Trek villain...)

KALLAX

:walk_away_son: