June 2014 Finds

spirit_of_66spirit_of_66 104 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
Lately I've had less time than ever for records and yet over the past 3-4 weeks I've been riding a miraculous hot streak, finding better stuff than ever at lower prices than ever. After missing a month's worth of flea markets it was nice to get back in the game Memorial Day weekend with Don Blackman, Heptones, etc... but things really started going my way the following weekend when I stumbled upon a tag sale while running errands and picked these out of a big messy stack on a hand truck in the middle of this dude's lawn for $10...

...with the real prize being this Horace Silver.

The next Sunday was the best flea market I've ever had...

Found my cleanest copy of Places & Spaces to date, upgraded on Bill Withers and Curtis, Zombies, long overdue Electric Ladyland and Ike Quebec came in a trade, Skull Snaps is the re-ish but I wasn't gonna pass for $3.

But the real score of the morning was this box of 45s, full of obscure promos and good soul stuff...

I walked out thinking it couldn't get much better than this, and this morning's flea market wasn't nearly as good but I still scored some cool stuff:

With a handful of sweet 45s coming in trade from a buddy:

But the real story, the peak of my digging adventures thus far, happened last Wednesday and deserves its own post...

Comments

• So last Wednesday it's a slow day at work, and though I've really had no opportunities to hunt for records outside of the flea market, I'm browsing craigslist listings anyway. I come upon one listed 5 hours ago, in the town where I work, doesn't sound promising--it mentioned mostly "70s rock" but I e-mail the guy anyway. He calls me within about an hour and I ask him what he's got, and much like his ad his description on the phone isn't very exciting. About 400 LPs, mostly 70s rock, he says, with a bit of jazz like Ramsey Lewis and some blues and other random stuff. So I'm picturing Aerosmith, Springsteen, Steve Miller, etc... but what the hell, he's 2 minutes away, it's worth a look, right? When he eventually mentions he used to be a deejay and that's where most of it came from, alarm bells start going off in my head. I was thinking about coming by to look the following morning but I say, you know what, I've got nothing going on at work, how bout I come over in 15 minutes?

He agrees and I head over and I'm led to a pile of a half dozen milk crates in his basement. First crate I get into, I see a few familiar names, a bunch of crazy looking, psychedelic looking stuff, and about halfway in, Archie Whitewater. I ask what he wants for the whole pile and no high speed camera in the world could have captured the money leaving my wallet and entering dude's hand. I've got to hit the road and pick up my son at this point so on the strength of half a crate, I load up the car and go, having no idea what I really have but some idea that it might be really good. In bumper-to-bumper traffic I'm pulling out titles from the crate in the passenger seat and it's all stuff I've never heard of, or seen.

I get it all home and in the basement but don't get a chance to go through it until about 10:30 that night, the wife's in bed and I sneak downstairs cause I've got to get a taste of what's in there and at least pull out that Archie Whitewater, a record that's eluded me for over 5 years. In the process I find McDonald and Giles and I get the feeling I've really hit paydirt here. I just about fell over when I came across a 2nd copy of Archie Whitewater the next morning. Over the next few days I slowly get through all the crates and it's just an unbelievable collection, mostly a time capsule of '69-'71 psych/prog rock, nearly all promos and even a couple test pressings. And even the more common stuff is generally good. The photos show the cream of the crop but it's probably not even half the collection...

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Nice score, I haven't had that kind of haul since 2011 when one of my spots bought a large collection from an ex distributor for Stax Records.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    :face_melt:

Great work!

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    duuuuude.

I love these kinds of stories...

but Kool & the Gang S/T at a flea?!?!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Nice.
    Check the rock promos for mono pressings. Can sometimes raise the value considerable.

I don't know if people still care but Sons Of Champlin has 3 cover variations and a promo is likely to Big Fuckin Deal.

• Thanks for the comments, guys.

stratasphere said:
    Nice score, I haven't had that kind of haul since 2011 when one of my spots bought a large collection from an ex distributor for Stax Records.

That must have been quite a score. You have a link to photos?

HOLLAFAME said:

but Kool & the Gang S/T at a flea?!?!

I guess I kinda glossed over that one, but yeah, it was a big part of why that was my best flea market ever. Same guy had K&TG;, Curtis and the Jimmy Smith for $2 a pop. It's not perfect, cover's starting to split at the bottom and the vinyl's probably VG but it still sounds fantastic.

LaserWolf said:
    Nice.
    Check the rock promos for mono pressings. Can sometimes raise the value considerable.

I don't know if people still care but Sons Of Champlin has 3 cover variations and a promo is likely to Big Fuckin Deal.

I don't recall coming across a single mono album in the whole collection but I'll have to double check. Appreciate the tip on Sons of Champlin as I was unaware of the variations. I checked and this one has the "fucking" crossed out. It's one of the few non-promo LPs and just has the standard Capitol colorband labels, so nothing special.

This morning I started going through the last of this haul, the stuff I initially culled from the herd because it was common or crappy stuff, artists I was familiar with, all stuff I was valuing at $5 or less. Much to my surprise this, since it's a promo, is apparently among the most valuable records in the whole group:

Hard to believe, but there people who pay for Carpenters. Lots of em.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Nice finds in the Haul! 2 Whitewaters alone would have brought quite the smile to my face...

The first two pics are from a store in Berlin(was there last week) run bye a notorious asshole. He kicked me out in under 5 min with such flare on Friday that I went back on Saturday. He then proceeded to slap my back with a grin and pepper me with anecdotes of his notoriety while I dug through his stuff. It turned out to be the only place I found in the city with good records at a good price.

these others come from this side of the pond over the past month: some from garage sales and others from stores in the hood. The Lancaster was a looonnngg time want got relatively cheap on the net cuz dude considered vg his highest grade but failed to mention the fact in his auction....

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    Woah spirit_of_66! Some killer finds up there! Ought to take you a while to listen all of 'em.

Here's a handful of records I've been lucky enough to find and bring home over the last few months or so. I just realized I haven't contributed in a while. Keep 'em coming!

Eden's Children - S/T (ABC, 1968)
    Phil Upchurch - Darkness, Darkness (Blue Thumb, 1972)
    James Brown - Please, Please, Please (King, 1964 re-issue)
    Eddie Floyd - You've Got To Have Eddie (Stax, 1969)
    Lonnie Smith - Think! (Blue Bote, 1969)
    Lonnie Smith - Move Your Hand (Blue Note, 1970)
    James Brown - The Always Amazing (King, 19xx)

Digital Underground - Who Got The Gravy? (Interscope, 1998)
    Finesse & Synquis - Soul Sisters (MCA, 1988)
    Redman - Doc's Da Name 2000 (Def Jam, 1998)
    D'Angelo - Brown Sugar (Cooltempo, 1995)
    Wilbert Harrison - Let's Work Together (Sue Records, 1969)
    KRS-One - I Got Next (Jive, 1997)

The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready To Die (Bad Boy, 2004 re-issue) 2lp
    NWA - Efil4zaggin/ 100 miles and Runnin' (Ruthless, 2002 re-issue) 2lp
    Ice Cube - Lethal Injection (Priority, 1993)
    Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted / Kill At Will (Priority, 2003 re-issue) 2lp
    Eazy-E - Eazy Duz It (Ruthless, 2002 re-issue) 2lp
    Ice Cube - The Predator (Priority, 2002 re-issue) 2lp

Otis Redding - Dictionary Of Soul (Volt, 1966)
    The Tempress - Love Maze (We Produce, 1973)
    The Mad Lads - The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Lads (Volt, 1969)
    Toad Hall - S/T (Liberty, 1968)
    Lazarus - S/T (Amazon, 1970)
    Liferaft - S/T (Aero Space Records, 1972)

Rza - The Rza Hits (Epic, 1998) 2lp
    Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele (Epic, 2000) 2lp
    Outkast - Aquemini (Laface, 1998) 3lp
    Dark Sun Riders Featuring Brother J - Seeds of Evolution (Island, 1996)
    Tha Dogg Pound - Dogg Food (Death Row, 1995) 2lp
    Outkast - Stankonia (LaFace, 2000) 2lp orange vinyl

Myrth - S/T (RCA, 1969)
    Odell Brown & The Organ-izers - Ducky (Cadet, 1968)
    Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood (Stax, 1967)
    Wilson Pickett - The Wicked Pickett (Atlantic, 1967)
    Highway Robbery - For Love Or Money (RCA, 1972)
    Buck 65 - Talkin' Honky Blues (WEA, 2003)

Funkadelic - One Nation Under A Groove (Warner Brothers, 1978)
    Bunji Jumpers - A Two Z (Banana Records, 1986)
    Full Moon - S/T (Douglas, 1972)
    The Nite-Liters - A-Nal-Y-Sis (RCA, 1973)
    Jon Lucien - Rashida (RCA, 1973)
    Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The 36 Chambers (Loud, 1993)

Houston - S/T (SSS international, 1971)
    Marlena Shaw - The Spice Of Life (Cadet, 1969)
    Mavis Staples - S/T (Volt, 1969)
    Watchpocket - S/T (TMI Records, 1972)
    Profile - Sands of Time (Encounter Records, 1973)
    Funk Inc - Superfunk (Prestige, 1973)

The House Of Love - A Spy In The House Of Love (Fontova, 1990)
    Bobby Brown - The Enlightening Beam of Axonda (Destiny, 1972)
    Mobb Deep - Hell On Earth (Loud, 1996)
    Lou Donaldson - Cosmos (Blue Note, 1971)
    Chakachas - Jungle Fever (Polydor, 1972)
    Condello - Phase 1 (Scepter, 1966)
    Stetsasonic - Blood, Sweat & No Tears (Tommy Boy, 1991)
    DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Brainfreeze (No Label, 2001)

Mad Lads - A New Beginning (Volt, 1973)
    The Mar-Keys - The Great Memphis Sound (Stax, 1966)
    Bartel - S/T (Perception, 1972)
    David Porter - Victim of The Joke?.... An Opera (Enterprise, 1971)
    Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Give The People What They Want (Daptone Records, 2014)
    William Bell - The Soul of A Bell (Stax, 1967)
    Frederick Knight - I've Been Lonely For So Long (Stax, 1973)
    Barry Goldberg - Street Man (Buddah, 1969)

The Missing Links - S/T (Raven, 1984 Re-issue)
    Beaver & Kraise - Gandharva (Warner Brothers, 1971)
    The Human Beinz - Nobody But Me (Capitol, 1967)
    Tin Tin - S/T (Atco, 1970)
    The United States of America - S/T (Columbia, 1968)
    Fargo - I See It Now (RCA, 1969)
    Madura - S/T (Columbia, 1971) 2 Lp
    Pacific Ocean - Purgatory (VMC Records, 1968)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Hard to believe, but there people who pay for Carpenters. Lots of em.

Raer 1st cover. Pulled and changed to something else. HTF.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Got this one in a shipment from Lagos last week:

Should have another batch coming in by tomorrow or Thursday...

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Jesus Frank that Lyndaa cut is

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    spirit...thats a beautiful batch of rock records!!
    give that Albert record a good listen. i love their two self titled joints on perception

LoopDreams said:
    Jesus Frank that Lyndaa cut is

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Loopdreams.... That Lancaster! Gil Melle! Dope stuff.
    Spirit great haul and great story!

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Yeah Spirit... wow.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Got another shipment yesterday, from Lagos to Costa Rica via diplomatic pouch...

I thought this one warrants a close-up:

Now I'm off to clean them all up and huff some Tuff Stuff...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Some tunes from the records above:

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Can't touch Spiritof66 finds, but I ducked into one of my main spots for 15 minutes and pulled these. The Willie Hutch and the Sonny Sharrock are unplayed and the JB's is VG+/Ex and cost 10.00 each. :happyday:
    Attached files

• FeldmanFeldman 50 Posts
    junes been pretty good for me, nice finally finding good records consistently again after a slow winter