Horace Silver RIP

leonleon 883 Posts
edited June 2014 in Strut Central
Rest in peace Horace Silver. So many classics. Unforgettable.Sad news.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• my girl asked me about horace silver literally the other day and led to a huge listening session... he is a giant amongst giants, but i think he may have gotten somewhat taken for granted because he had such a long, varied and productive career. sad i never got to see him play. i read an anecdote by mark murphy that horace used to sweat profusely because he played so hard and everybody always felt they got their money's worth.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    RIP to someone who surely peppered all of our listening experiences with greatness

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Damn, one of the very first pulls in my early yrs was Horace Silver's Total Response which set the stage for pursuing the rest of his staggering catalog whenever the opportunity arose . The man was one of my heroes, and a person I should have seen live, but never did. A phenomenal composer, musician, bandleader and, from what I gather, person, people of his calibre don't come around very often.. Jazz lost part of its soul today with his passing.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    All this and then some.

This one's for you Horace.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    leon said:
    Rest in peace Horace Silver. So many classics. Unforgettable.Sad news.

RIP

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

• Very sad news indeed. My very first Blue Note LP was The Jody Grind and I've been a big fan ever since. He was one of the few people who inspired some Connecticut pride. Love pretty much his whole catalog but Song For My Father will forever be among my personal greatest jazz albums. I'm also bummed I never got to see him live. RIP to a jazz giant.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    RIP. I echo most of what has been said above, including the sadness that I never saw him play.

Are there any good docs on him?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    My first and still one of my go-to modern lps.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

The passing of a jazz giant such as Mr. Horace Silver is very sad news. I am such a fan of his playing and immense compositional abilities. He played with such passion and wrote some utterly beautiful pieces of music. My father introduced me to his music very early in my life, and I was better for it. Here are a few of my favorites:

Rest in peace, Mr. Silver. Your musical legacy will transcend the ages.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    RIP Horace.
    Tom Skinner posted this up on Twitter. 'Nutville' from Danish TV in 1968 ft. Bernie Maupin and Billy Cobham. Wow.