Grindin Your Own Meat?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central
Anyone?

Ive been on a burger phase which i go through every couple of years.

Coppin a damn Kitchen Aid with a grinder attachment aint fuckin cheap.

But controlling various beef, pork, chicken, and etc stuff has me open to the flavor options.

Is the hand cranked joint too much effort?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Was talking to a guy about his grinder (insert joke here) last week.

Sounded like too much trouble and aggravation to me.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Worth it if you are grinding on a regular basis. The hand cranked joints are not too expensive, sturdy and easy to use. And imagine the next level: your own sausages!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't know what they're like where you live, but if you can find a good butcher they should be able to grind any meat you buy from them.

/darn auto correct.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    The old fashioned hand powered jawns do the trick.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    plaese to recommend teh perfect burger mix.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ppadilha said:

I wouldnt say perfect but ive been using ground beef with spicy Italian sausage.....70/30 blend....recently.
    I used to use the Meatloaf mix that came with Ground Beef/Pork/Veal....lookin like that Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry icecream box.

If i copped a grinder, id experiment w/ other proteins.

batmon said:
    ppadilha said:

I wouldnt say perfect but ive been using ground beef with spicy Italian sausage.....70/30 blend....recently.
    I used to use the Meatloaf mix that came with Ground Beef/Pork/Veal....lookin like that Chocolate/Vanilla/Strawberry icecream box.

If i copped a grinder, id experiment w/ other proteins.

is it better to use a leaner cut of beef or a fattier one?

I haven't tried mixing meats, been trying to keep my burger simple. I got my seasoning down (just salt, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, splash of dark beer), but I think I could improve it with a better mix of meat. Last time I used what they call "grade B ground" here, I think it's the equivalent to ground chuck. I thought it came out better than using the "grade A", which is leaner.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I don't think it's necessary to buy your own grinder just for the occasional burger. Any good butcher would be happy to grind your choice of meat right in front of you and at no extra charge.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Whats the deal with using pork and beef mixed? Wouldnt the pork cooking temp overcook your beef?

Frank said:
    I don't think it's necessary to buy your own grinder just for the occasional burger. Any good butcher would be happy to grind your choice of meat right in front of you and at no extra charge.

I have a butcher in my local supermarket and dudes be on some ESL shit.
    Its mostly folks getting certain cuts of foods. I have yet to ask for a specific blend.
    They arent butcher Butchers, that do extra custom stuff.

Like I asked for specific bones to make a beef stock and dudes looked at me like i was crazy.

Besides if i did invest in a stand mixer, i could get a baking game started.

Grandfather said:
    Whats the deal with using pork and beef mixed? Wouldnt the pork cooking temp overcook your beef?

I just copped a recipe from some digital magazine that had this mix...so ive been liking the results.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    ugh, bread crumbs....HATE THAT.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    Frank said:

Its mostly folks getting certain cuts of foods. I have yet to ask for a specific blend.

Like I asked for specific bones to make a beef stock and dudes looked at me like i was crazy.

Don't you have any "real" butcher shops left in Manhattan?

I would not recommend a mixer for grinding meat, they're not built solidly enough. It doesn't make much sense to grind tender steaks into burgers or sausage, you need something strong enough to grind un-aged, sinewy meats which would have those housewife contraptions fall apart on you. Grinders have a super strong engine and suspension that runs on a low rotation -whole different beast than a mixer. It'd be like driving a mini-van off-road just cause they call the damn thing an "SUV".

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    Grandfather said:

I just copped a recipe from some digital magazine that had this mix...so ive been liking the results.

That thing in the video is a toy. The entire cutting unit would have to be made of metal.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Last time I used what they call "grade B ground" here, I think it's the equivalent to ground chuck. I thought it came out better than using the "grade A", which is leaner.

The *classic* mix is 75% sirloin, 25% chuck. Sirloin by itself is too lean. I'm sure there is a lot of variation, so this would be just be approximate.

Frank said:
    batmon said:
    Frank said:

Don't you have any "real" butcher shops left in Manhattan?

I would not recommend a mixer for grinding meat, they're not built solidly enough. It doesn't make much sense to grind tender steaks into burgers or sausage, you need something strong enough to grind un-aged, sinewy meats which would have those housewife contraptions fall apart on you. Grinders have a super strong engine and suspension that runs on a low rotation -whole different beast than a mixer. It'd be like driving a mini-van off-road just cause they call the damn thing an "SUV".

I hear ya.

I could venture into Manhattan or in Astoria where i work.

I dont use breadcrumbs either.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Cutting unit should look like this (sorry, couldn't find a better picture):

A unit like this will last you a life time.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    ive heard super bad reviews on the kitchen aid attachement
    but if you use it for pastry and just occasionally grind it coould be okay
    the other main advantage is cutting the cutting time of herbs/oignons and incoroparating them better to your mix..plus falafell options

like pasta makers hand/metal is the best/cheapest but will it just gather dust?

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    batmon said:

I hear ya.

There are two good ones in Harlem, pretty short trip from Astoria. Casablanca on 110th/Park and Harlem Shambles on Frederick Douglass/114th. I've gotten quality stuff from both.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I just got a smoker, and will soon be adding grinding/sausage making to the mix. Talmbout smoking tough meats, then grinding them up with herbs, spices, and savory vegetables to make killer sausages. It's a dream I've had for quite some time.

Fred_Garvin said:
    batmon said:

I hear ya.

There are two good ones in Harlem, pretty short trip from Astoria. Casablanca on 110th/Park and Harlem Shambles on Frederick Douglass/114th. I've gotten quality stuff from both.

I know where the butchers are in NYC.

Schaller & Weber in Yorkville is on my way home on the 4 train if i stop and Petco and Best But and Fairway.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Funny, I was just thinking that I need to get back on the homemade burger tip, what with grilling season being in effect and all. I have the hated KitchenAid attachment. It's fine, though by itself it doesn't justify the purchase of a KitchenAid. I've never had any problems with the grinder attachment, but I'm not really doing anything heavy-duty with it. Generally 4-5 pounds of meat at a time, and it's not like I'm breaking it out every week or anything.

As for the mix...that's where the experimentation comes in. I used to do short ribs, brisket, and a little bit of pork shoulder, which came out pretty nice. The price for short ribs has gone through the roof of late, though, so I'm gonna have to find something else to use. I'm not exactly mad about that--it's fun to mess around with different stuff. Pretty much any cheap cut will do (like others in this thread, I never understood the point of grinding up tender, expensive cuts--why not just eat them as steaks like you're supposed to?). It all depends on what kind of flavor you're going for. Just make sure you're keeping enough fat in the mix, lest your burger turn out dry and crumbly.

Frank said:

My friend who made it sound like too much of a hassle was working with a kitchenaide type grinder I believe.
    He was trying to grind quantities of sinewy meat. Trying to keep the meat very cold, but the grinder is heating up and even stopping when things get too sinewy. He is talking about hanging sausages in the basement for months.

I am not there yet.

America's Test Kitchen told me if I take ground meat and mix in spices I can call it sausage. I do that.

DB_Cooper said:
    I just got a smoker,

What kind?

img src="Salmon glaze 015" alt="" />

My cookshack smoker.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    img src="Salmon glaze 015" alt="" />

My cookshack smoker.

Now I'm jealous!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    I just got a smoker,

What kind?

This guy:

Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker. It has a propane burner under the wood tray to ignite the wood and keep the temp nice and steady, and four racks. I just used it for the first time last weekend. Did two dozen country-style pork ribs with a dry rub over apple wood, then two whole chickens stuffed with onion and lemon and two legs of lamb slathered in a rosemary/garlic/cumin paste and tied with twine over apple and hickory with a bundle of rosemary added to the chips near the end.

It was amazing.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    nice i like the convo in here, i have a KitchenAid pro 6 and i am going to pick up that meat grinding attachment and start getting my grind on...

totally jealous of that smoking action as well...

so is smoke your own meat the new make your own beer?