Recommend some good recent music por favor!

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I have been essentially cut off from current music for the last couple of years in my pregnancy/baby bunker, and am not hip to teh good new stuff. I tried checking out the best of 2013 thread, but a lot of folks were just posting pictures of covers that I couldn't identify or talking about music without referencing what genre it was. So, PLEASE TO RECOMMEND ME SOME GOOD RECENT MUSICS!

I'm looking for anything relatively upbeat or relaxed (no downers, please) that I can bump in the ride, whilst grilling, or just hanging around the house. I like teh rocks, teh rapps, teh souls, and some types of electronic jamz. KNOWLEDGE ME, SOULTRUST. YOU'RE MY ONLY HOPE.

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    What's your definition of "recent?"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    What's your definition of "recent?"

I was pretty up on stuff a few years back, but fuggitÔÇöanything in the last five years is cool.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm out.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    You used to be from Boston, right? The defunct Mystery Roar--and recent spin-off Condor--have some shit. I don't know how deep it gets, really, but the sound is ideal for moderate to heavy lamping. I've listened it directly, and have also had it on in the background at various points while 1) washing dishes, 2) leafing through back issues of Mojo and shaking my head, 3) nodding while a flinty Dutch mom talked about the follies of dietary restriction, and 4) watching snow fall. In each situation, the music worked imperially.

Also, Mines' Just Another Thing That Got Ruined. Not completly without its downer/jarring moments, but overall a pretty affirmative listen. One for the "hanging around the house" pile.

bassie said:

Only had a chance to listen to some Fatima al Qadari so far, but I'm digging it.

james said:
    You used to be from Boston, right? The defunct Mystery Roar--and recent spin-off Condor--have some shit. I don't know how deep it gets, really, but the sound is ideal for moderate to heavy lamping. I've listened it directly, and have also had it on in the background at various points while 1) washing dishes, 2) leafing through back issues of Mojo and shaking my head, 3) nodding while a flinty Dutch mom talked about the follies of dietary restriction, and 4) watching snow fall. In each situation, the music worked imperially.

Also, Mines' Just Another Thing That Got Ruined. Not completly without its downer/jarring moments, but overall a pretty affirmative listen. One for the "hanging around the house" pile.

I'll always be from Boston Feeling some Mystery Roar. Catching some early-80s Bowie vibes in the mix.

Weird that the semi-colon wink face makes an eyeroll.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Chill, but not snoozy...

)

This one is ill.

)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:

Only had a chance to listen to some Fatima al Qadari so far, but I'm digging it.

Good read:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/05/fatima-al-qadiri-interview-kuwait-invasion-saddam

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    A few of my favorites from the last year and a half, in no particular order:

Todd Terje - It's Album Time - All over the place. Some future 80's sounds. A slow cover of Johnny and Mary. Loving it.

Spark Master Tape - Horror-trap-ganster-rap - I'm loving this, but it might not be for everyone.

Connan Mockasin - Kind of Flight of the Concords meets R Kelly. His live recordings are great.

Grizzly Bear - Shields B-Sides

Jessy Lanza - Female Indie Electro

Kurt Vile - A little Tom Petty-ish, excellent.

Thundercat - Some great jazzy electro stuff with a modern flair

Suuns - I love everything they do. Modern indie rock with a dream-pop feel. A bit like Clinic, but I think better.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Modern indie rock with a psych feel.

Rare Times - Modern / R&B throwback

Mac DeMarco - Lo-Fi singer songwriter - might be too sleepy.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I've been really digging this Mo Kolours album.

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

woah, this is awesome!
    100 views only tho? Sometimes i wonder what the public wants exactly..

StoneHands said:
    HarveyCanal said:

woah, this is awesome!
    100 views only tho? Sometimes i wonder what the public wants exactly..

+1

Nice one, Harv.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    meistromoco said:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I'm totally obsessed with Ufomammut. Italian HEAVY Psych/Spacerock goo...imagine Sleep as a Krautrock band. I recommend their albums Snailking and Eve.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I'm going a bit rockist here, as I'm admittedly out on any non-Kendrick/Kanye/Clipse rap music from the last few years.

I cosign Kurt Vile above, and his former band, The War on Drugs. Their new record is on some lost Petty-Dire Straits vibes that I do not hate.

I stay on Thee Oh Sees. New album isn't necessarily my favorite of their CONSIDERABLE output, but "Floating Coffin," "The Dream," and "Help!" are all great albums. Nuevo-garage rock for days.

One of their cohorts, Ty Segall put out a fantastic, stripped down record last year, "Sleeper". That one is HIGHLY recommended, though not the RAWK. It is REALLY good.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Ibibio Sound Machine. London-based collective.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    The Freddie Gibbs & Madlib LP is dope.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dawhud said:
    The Freddie Gibbs & Madlib LP is dope.

Yep, very much so.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I know y'all will hate it but I just have to share this recent piece of german rap. That beat is melting butter.

My friend Marlow has a new EP out on Sonar Kollektiv. Especially the second track hits hard. His LP is in the making.

Flomotion said:

Great stuff. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of edit/sample based or completly self-produced?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    I'm totally obsessed with Ufomammut. Italian HEAVY Psych/Spacerock goo...imagine Sleep as a Krautrock band. I recommend their albums Snailking and Eve.

Gotdamn, this shit is heavy as fuck...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Flomotion said:

Great stuff. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of edit/sample based or completly self-produced?

They're a living, breathing 8-piece band - I don't think there are any samples in there just some great musicians. The album is on Soundway, which is a nice touch.

Had this album in the mail today. Get it, it's great.