The Dust and Grooves Book

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central

Anybody get this yet? I'm supposedly in it?

Looks real proper. Almost 500 pages and a neat little dust sleeve.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    awwwsheeeit

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I don't think it's out here yet. I think tripledouble will be in it too, any other Strut people?

I will be getting one, enjoyed the blog a lot!

• parenparen 537 Posts
    yup. my copy arrived a couple of weeks ago - a long while after the original kickstarter. there are a lot of familiar faces in the book.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    i asked my local joint about this book on RSD and they looked at me like i had two heads... i'll need to score a copy elsewhere.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Paging Senor Paychecks - you stocking this?

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I pre-ordered mine at Amazon.com
    Not yet shipped but the cheapest, I think: $62.98
    Shipping & Handling to Europe $7.98

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    possible devil's advocate here, but why would record collectors spend money on a book full of people with apartments that look 99% like their own (filled with old records) when they could spend that money on records?

i get why this book will sell copies to the coffee table brigade (OMG RECORDS!), but i couldn't see budgeting money towards it...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I balked at the price, but I like looking at shelving and whatnot. I like seeing how people arrange things and it's just interesting to look at how people exist amongst lots of one thing. I'm similarly fascinated by shelves with books.

I hear you, but it's just an interesting visual composition and voyeurism into people with similar interests. I haven't bought a record in a long time, but I still thought about ordering it and still might.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    I agree with p_gunn I rather buy records then a book full of pics of other peoples records

Controller_7 said:
    I balked at the price.

holy smokes was my response when i saw it selling for $75...i'll take a latte pass on that, i could buy a gang of records for that price..

• is this just pictures of shelves of records in people's homes? do the people featured get to floss their favourite records, etc?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the site seems sufficient.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I'm guessing it'll mostly be given as a desperation present to people who've suddenly got into 'vinyls' from people who have no fucking clue what else to give them. It should do well.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    bassie said:

agreed. if your a collector and have read SS for years you pretty much know these people and their collections. sorry, but the people who make the book look like a bunch of hipster goofballs trying to make a buck.

But......Can't go wrong with a Supreme interview!

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    i already have this one which is quite good....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Can someone find that pic w/ Alba and her then boyfriend flossing rekkids.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    volumen said:
    bassie said:

agreed. if your a collector and have read SS for years you pretty much know these people and their collections. sorry, but the people who make the book look like a bunch of hipster goofballs trying to make a buck.

I just ordered a copy and not seeing me. Boooooo!

:f-u:

DustedDon said:
    i already have this one which is quite good....

^^ i want this book more so then the dust and grooves book, the bedroom rockers looks mad ill from the pics i saw, and its fairly inexpensive compared to the D&G book

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bedroom rockers is very cool.
    But some of the features are on dollar bin diggers with boring collections.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    haha, dan. stop hating!!
    dollar bin diggers unite!!!!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    You know I am not talking about you. You got Hustle and Taste.

RAJ said:
    volumen said:
    bassie said:

That's criminal. I would return and put a negative review on the site that says "I'm not in the book!"

No Raj in a book about record collectors?!?!? BAN! Official SS boycott of these jokers!

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Ha, I didn't get into the book either. I think there were a lot of people that didn't make the cut. Apparently the photo editor was a hard ass about who was in and out. Would have been nice to get at least one photo in there though.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    $75? No thanks.

I'll wait for deadstock copies at $25, which shouldn't take long.

I can't see this book selling out, unless it was strictly stories and pictures of celebrity collectros/collectrons.

dang, he had more interviews than he could fit in that big ass book?
    i wonder what the criteria for inclusion were

maru said:
    Ha, I didn't get into the book either. I think there were a lot of people that didn't make the cut. Apparently the photo editor was a hard ass about who was in and out. Would have been nice to get at least one photo in there though.

brian i dont remember seeing your interview. can you share a link to it?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    volumen said:
    RAJ said:
    volumen said:
    bassie said:

That's criminal. I would return and put a negative review on the site that says "I'm not in the book!"

No Raj in a book about record collectors?!?!? BAN! Official SS boycott of these jokers!

I mean - DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM !?

Stupidly, I bought two of these expensive paper weights thinking I was in it. After all he had me sign a release and caption a photo he choose for the book. Any whoo...

Here's the outtake:
    Attached files

RAJ said:
    volumen said:
    RAJ said:
    volumen said:
    bassie said:

I mean - DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM !?

Stupidly, I bought two of these expensive paper weights thinking I was in it. After all he had me sign a release and caption a photo he choose for the book. Any whoo...

Here's the outtake:

What BS. Like the actor that goes to the premier only to find out their part was cut! Except you bought box seat tickets. I think they took the Leo as an affront to their hipster "I paid $500 on ebay for a private press one tracker" milieu.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    RAJ said:

he even made you throw your records on the floor like some monstrous slob!

• PoljakovPoljakov 21 Posts
    Time for a soul strut book...