Hot Towel Shaves???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2014 in Strut Central
Anybody got one before?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I didn't get a full shave because I have a beard, but I've had barbers put a hot towel on my face (NO AYO-R) before giving me a trim.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I had my first one a couple years back at Art of Shaving. They use crappy, scented product, but the service was great.

The best shave product out there (and I've tried many) is Clinique.

Fun fact: I discovered that there is a soulstrut for shaving out there when I was looking up straight blades. I lurked for a few minutes and quickly left. I want the good shit, but not at a fetish level.

I reserve my obsessing for records and hockey.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I got one once in a geuwine old school barber shop in upstate NY.

It was fine, but I feel I can do as good a job with my perfected home technique and I'm not crazy about letting a stranger have at my throat with a straight razor. Paranoid, I know.

Dude was cool, though. I ended up trading him some Double Duck straight razors I found at a thrift store for haircuts.

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    I get them from time to time, usually just before something special is going down. I don't find them to be especially outstanding shaves, but they're cool. You're mostly just paying for a super "manly"-feeling experience. While you're in the chair, your dick feels one to one-and-a-half inches bigger than it is -- $20 well spent, I guess.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    There have been a couple occasions where I've had a full hot towel shave. Definitely a nice experience. I don't know about dick enhancing, but certainly the manly equivalent of a woman getting her nails/toes done.

I have been thinking about searching out a good modern barber that I can go to on the regular for upkeep and an occasional shave. Can any Toronto stutteurs point me in the right direction? I don't want to pay through the nose or be at some hipster joint. Bonus points for an Italian spot with espresso.

• tech12ztech12z 56 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    There have been a couple occasions where I've had a full hot towel shave. Definitely a nice experience. I don't know about dick enhancing, but certainly the manly equivalent of a woman getting her nails/toes done.

I have been thinking about searching out a good modern barber that I can go to on the regular for upkeep and an occasional shave. Can any Toronto stutteurs point me in the right direction? I don't want to pay through the nose or be at some hipster joint. Bonus points for an Italian spot with espresso.

I've heard great things about I Barbieri, which is both affordable and Italian. Not sure about espresso.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    If movies can be trusted to be accurate, as I'm sure they can, this is one of the ways the Mob likes to get guys got.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Had epic ones in India, They absolutely have it down to a T so had one every chance i got, takes about 40 minutes, hot towels, tones of lathering, shave with cut throat, more latherins, another cut throat shave, mad oils, face massage, eye ball massage, more hot towels, one guy even pulled out a head massaging machine, you feel like a new man after and mad cheap.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I treat myself maybe a couple of times a year to a shave at an old school gentleman's 'hairdresser' (they seem to have some major issues with the word 'barber'. Supremely relaxing and pretty much negates any shaver-client conversation, which is exactly how I like it. And there's a pub right next door.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Had a few in the olden days at old school barber shops.
    Then in the 90s it got to where barbers did them so rarely that they were nervous when they got to do one.
    I don't want some one with shaky hands holding a straight edge to my throat.

Glad to hear they are making a come back. The hot towel, and hot lather are super nice.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The hot towel, straight razor shave, AND a neck massage...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Over here are a lot of turkish barber shops, which offer an excellent service for little money. Proper craftmanship
    and the best thing is you don't have to talk gossip all the time and you get strong black tea for free.The barbers are grown ass man and not annoying young girl half my age.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Paging Batmon to come in here and talk about how lame this thread is...wait, wtf?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    i'll be 40 yrs young in July and i still cant grow a beard.....i ain't mad though, i have a hard enough time growing this goatee most of the time...lol

• dj_cityboy said:
    i'll be 40 yrs young in July and i still cant grow a beard.....i ain't mad though, i have a hard enough time growing this goatee most of the time...lol

You're fortunate. Shaving is a royal pain in the ass.

• HarveyCanal said:
    The hot towel, straight razor shave, AND a neck massage...

I knew a girl who had one of those for....other reasons.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    yes

http://www.aidangillformen.com/

But as the tasting thinned out to a few die-hards relaxing in the shop's antique Koken and Koch barber chairs, Gill revealed that he made an exception when gonzo journalist -- and renowned chemical abuser -- Hunter S. Thompson came by not long before his death in early 2005.

"So I give this gob sod a glass of Green Spot, " Gill said in his spicy Irish brogue. "He's got a glass of white wine in one hand and a bag of drugs and firearms in the other. Without even looking, without giving it a second thought, he poured the Green Spot straight into the wine. I didn't know what to say."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    "Where did that third hand come from?"

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    Without even looking, without giving it a second thought, he poured the Green Spot straight into the wine. "[/i]

that is a disgrace

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    dj_cityboy said:

You're fortunate. Shaving is a royal pain in the ass.

yeah man a ten pack of blades last me like a year - no joke! money saved = records earned

i shaved this morning for the first time in over a week - 2 minutes and i was done, lol easy-peasy