No shame in his game?

the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I was listening to my feed on soundcloud the other day in the background and a track came on that I immediately noticed because I had not that long ago done an extended intro edit of it, then to my curiosity I noticed that the intro had the exact same vocal grabs with the same delay that I had used and I immediately realized my edit had been jacked and claimed by some one else (all be it pitched up and some minor changes made to the arrangement)
. Its not like it was an original composition or beat that I had made so I cant say I'm upset about it, I just thought I would share it on the strut for a laugh, and maybe start a 99 crates kind of discussion.

My extended intro edit

"His edit"

Comments

• The intro is to long.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Sobriety Won said:
    The intro is to long.

you sound like you dont like long blends/mixes

• Nah just not a fan of edits or DJ's who play edits full stop.

That's obviously a dick move by the other guy though but hey it's all just a sign of the times.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    You gotta start putting "edit by Decades!!!" tags/drops all over, dj clue styles!!

NEW SHIT!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    My friend Shortee recently got an entire mixtape intro jacked by this dude named Joe Mfalme, who I guess is a somewhat well-known DJ in Nairobi. He just took this scratch intro from 5 years ago, pasted his name over hers, and tried to pass it off as his own. Even weirder, Shortee called him out on it, and he then tried to claim that they had become good friends and were collaborating on music, which, no. Pretty fuckin' brazen stuff.

Some dudes will always be looking for the easy way. smh

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Basically anything you put out on the interwebs is fair game. Unless you got time to C&D folks (and the money for the Lawyer) it is a losing battle.

I have had several graphics I have created appropriated without attribution, which is annoying. When I track down an artist who's images I want to use (for non-commercial purposes) they are usually shocked that someone would ask and I try to link to their work to give them more exposure. Sadly this is not the SOP for a lot of folks out there.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Sobriety Won said:
    Nah just not a fan of edits or DJ's who play edits full stop.

I normally judge a dj based on their music choice, ability to read a crowd and timing, but each to their own. Fwiw the edits I make are normally made for me to dj with as I like to mix tracks in over time, and I decided that I would share them with people that might like to use them for the same purpose, or even just liked the fact that that section went for longer.
    DJ_Enki said:
    My friend Shortee recently got an entire mixtape intro jacked by this dude named Joe Mfalme, who I guess is a somewhat well-known DJ in Nairobi. He just took this scratch intro from 5 years ago, pasted his name over hers, and tried to pass it off as his own. Even weirder, Shortee called him out on it, and he then tried to claim that they had become good friends and were collaborating on music, which, no. Pretty fuckin' brazen stuff.
    Thats super shady, I had some friends once watch a BBoy showcase where a group of dancers performed at an outdoor city gig with a dj, but they realized the dj was actually just miming to one of my mix tapes that they all had and knew exactly what was coming

Saracenus said:
    Basically anything you put out on the interwebs is fair game. Unless you got time to C&D folks (and the money for the Lawyer) it is a losing battle.

I have had several graphics I have created appropriated without attribution, which is annoying. When I track down an artist who's images I want to use (for non-commercial purposes) they are usually shocked that someone would ask and I try to link to their work to give them more exposure. Sadly this is not the SOP for a lot of folks out there.

I could only imagine that anything visual is jacked more frequently than audio even, I have seen pictures of my (shitty set up mind you) used as ebay adevertisments for turntables being sold in china on ebay and years ago put a photo of some of my huaraches on sneaker freaker which I still see people using to this day!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Herm (Who wishes that there was a way to be notified when his name is used on soulstrut) has a good story along these lines.
    I forget details, so hopefully he will tell it. I think someone used his mix tape as their audition tape. Who ever they were auditioning for recognized it as Herm's. I probably have that wrong. Herm?

LaserWolf said:
    Herm (Who wishes that there was a way to be notified when his name is used on soulstrut) has a good story along these lines.
    I forget details, so hopefully he will tell it. I think someone used his mix tape as their audition tape. Who ever they were auditioning for recognized it as Herm's. I probably have that wrong. Herm?

Yes we need this story Herm!

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    LaserWolf said:

Yes we need this story Herm!

i recall this story i think because it was a mix made by Cosmo that Herm was emailed by some herb looking for entree into a gig or a guest spot or something. so irksome.