TEH PHONOGRAPH DJ

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
I just got this image sent to me for use on our website because apparently this guy will be providing music for one of our events. I actually had to ask myself if that did indeed just happen. What are the odds this guy lives in Brooklyn?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    What makes it even crazier is that we have these events coming up called "Jazz Age Garden Parties" so I was like, yeah that makes sense. Except this isn't for those. This is for a generic party in our rose garden. W.T.F.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    What's the electric chord off the cone? Is he recording or is he secretly running his iPod through their?

Let's see the Steampunk mixer!

B/W Hip AND boring!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    volumen said:
    What's the electric chord off the cone? Is he recording or is he secretly running his iPod through their?

Probably a microphone to an amplified system. Fucking hipsters ruin everything. :P

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    billbradley said:
    volumen said:

Probably a microphone to an amplified system. Fucking hipsters ruin everything. :P

Looks like headphones - dude has two on the go and needs to cue up platters?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Chap hop, innit. All the rage over here, now Gove loves it.

(Although Elemental has been knocking round Brighton jams for years in his pith helmet, and v good he is too)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    man that time period was so dope if you were white and rich

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    man EVERY time period was so dope if you were white and rich

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

nah man not like that though. dudes were really KILLING it right then

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bennyboy said:
    Chap hop, innit. All the rage over here, now Gove loves it.

(Although Elemental has been knocking round Brighton jams for years in his pith helmet, and v good he is too)

Almost 150 comments on that piece, most of which seem to have come from people properly irked at the Graun's failure to "get" Chap-Hop, or to give it the serious coverage it deserves.

Elsewhere on the site, there's a piece on Lil Boosie, framed by only the barest possible context, and which has plainly only been commissioned with the sole purpose of harvesting as many "Boosie Out"-related clicks as possible.

Like the rest of the paper/site these days, the Guardian's arts coverage is fucking shocking.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I don't know if you ever frequented PJ Bells in Manc, Doc. It was later taken over by two of the prominent sax players on that scene, Matt and Phred. The club still bears their names but they fell out a while back and Matt is now a gramophone DJ.

http://vintage78dj.co.uk/about/

Despite being a good sax player, I'll wager he makes a better living out of the 78's.

3-deck setup. Carl Cox, are you watching?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    vintageinfants said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

nah man not like that though. dudes were really KILLING it right then

Yup. 2013 in Brooklyn was a magical time to be white and rich enough to waste time at a period-costume event.

billbradley said:
    volumen said:

What a poseur. Nothing says let's re-live the 1800's like a PA system.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Assuming dude also keeps his food in an icebox and uses a crank to start his automobile.

• my god, this is a real thing isn't it? pointless nostalgia.

crabmongerfunk said:
    my god, this is a real thing isn't it? pointless nostalgia.

I always try to imagine these are just people who love to dress up and be silly, but as Harvey pointed out you wouldn't really want to live back in those days. They don't even want to really listen to an old phonograph with out amps. Plus I'm pretty sure those things destroy records with those giant needles. Any 78 worth listening too should not be played on one of those.

I can deal with steam punk people when they actually make stuff themselves that is functional. To each his own, but there should be more to it than fad.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    These guys are using crank victrolas.
    They were designed to play acoustically recorded records.
    Electric mic and electric recording took over about 1918.
    There are collectors who like to collect and play the records from that period on period phonographs.

As V said, they take a toll.
    Most of the great blues, country and jazz recordings were done after 1918.

• DOR said:

I love that song. One of the few songs I discovered through a video game.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    man that time period was so dope if you were white and rich

Bertie Wooster yo