Love the Band, Hate the Fans

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited March 2014 in Strut Central
james had a throw away line the other day about how there are certain CAN fanboys who love nothing better than to pontificate about the band and the importance of its music... and i realized that was a fucking accurate observation. i love CAN but i hate their fans.

so what other groups/artists fall under this heading?

greatful dead?

Comments

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Haftbefehl! Not exactly loving his music, but find his music interesting and fascinating for some reason.
    But his fans = :shitty:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    greatful dead?

I have a greater hatred of Phish fans than I do of Deadheads, but at least the Dead have some albums I can enjoy. Primus is another band I can sort of listen to but find their hardcore fans to be extreme twats.

looking at the other end of the spectrum, in terms of hate the band/love their fans: Insane Clown Posse.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    For me it's the Grateful Dead....and the worst part is that now that the Dead are no more all those folks work at Renaissance Faires

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wu -Tang

• hip hop

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Reggae.

• vintageinfants said:
    hip hop
    '

So you hate white people?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    vintageinfants said:
    hip hop
    '

So you hate white people?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    Wu -Tang

There are so very, very many rap artists for whom this thread applies, but Wu-Tang might just be the worst of the worst.

• THE JAM/STYLE COUNCIL

• ironic that a band where i cant relate to it's fans has a lyric in one of my favorite songs that goes "it's not the band i hate, it's their fans"

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Not a big fan of fanaticism, and I agree with all the ones I know about above. The fans I don't know about--I believe you.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The Smiths, and/or Morrissey, although it'd be more accurate to say the fans ruined the band for me.

Plenty of friends of mine are fans, and they're fine (DUH), but I just avoid the topic of either artist.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Tom Waits

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So if I think of people I have met buying and selling records, I like most all of them, no matter what band they like.
    I certainly have not found fans of any music who I dislike as a group.

Once you get to a concert things change.
    I barely go to our big downtown blues festival any more because I can't stand the fans. But hey, I don't party.
    I don't care for the Dead, but have been to 2 concerts in my life. The fans are endlessly entertaining. More fun watching the fans than the band for sure. I have known lots of Dead heads, and enjoy their company when they are not listening to live tapes.

• Afrobeat is great music but it attracts too many hipsters.

Somebody also made a thread a while ago about Northern Soul fans in the UK and how awful they are.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    THE BEATLES

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I've never even met CAN obsessed fans. I live in south NJ though. Most of the people around me never even heard of the band.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    PrimeCutsLtd said:
    I've never even met CAN obsessed fans. I live in south NJ though. Most of the people around me never even heard of the band.

and if you don't know one, IT'S YOU! AMIRITE PEOPLE OHHHHHHHHHHH

• I can't say I "love" Springsteen, but I do like a lot of his records...

His fans, though...

Jeezus, I think most of them would chew and swallow the guy's discarded toenails and pocket lint.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Any one that is too obsessed with a single band likely has personality issues. They need something to latch onto and use the band to create a identity for themselves in an often unsatisfying existence. What band these people pick to latch onto is irrelevant. I doubt any one band has a total fan base that's annoying as a whole. Unless your talking some white power band.

The one Dead show I went to the 2 people behind me were talking the whole set (I mean non-stop) about how much they loved the Dead among other things. I even turned around once and they were looking at each other most of the time not even watching the show. Since I was pretty far in the back of the stadium it was actually distracting since they were talking above the music. As soon as the set was over they started making their set lists and asking each other what song was played when. I guess when you've seen the same band so many times you don't really need to pay attention and it's more of a social "I've been to X number of shows" event.

The Dead fans might be smelly hippies but they are too stoned most of the time to really cause many problems.

• Bob Dylan

neil_something said:
    Bob Dylan

Why? Sure they are too in love with him but do they go crazy and cause issue at the show. I would think not. There is a difference between artists you don't like and fans you don't like.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I would think Bob Dylan hates his fans more than anyone in the world.

ppadilha said:

I'm pretty sure Dylan hasn't formed a thought in about 30 years.

• ppadilha said:

Bob Dylan has taken issue with being labelled "Judas" in the 60s, saying of his accusers: "All those evil motherfuckers can rot in hell."

The 71-year old singer's decision to abandon his acoustic roots and "go electric" prompted the insult from an audience member at his famous Free Trade Hall show in Manchester in May 1966.

Responding to criticism that he plagiarised the work of other authors on his recent albums, Dylan told Rolling Stone: "Wussies and pussies complain about that stuff. It's an old thing ÔÇô it's part of the tradition. It goes way back.

"These are the same people that tried to pin the name Judas on me. Judas, the most hated name in human history! If you think you've been called a bad name, try to work your way out from under that. Yeah, and for what? For playing an electric guitar? As if that is in some kind of way equitable to betraying our Lord and delivering him up to be crucified."

vintageinfants said:
    ppadilha said:

Bob Dylan has taken issue with being labelled "Judas" in the 60s, saying of his accusers: "All those evil motherfuckers can rot in hell."

The 71-year old singer's decision to abandon his acoustic roots and "go electric" prompted the insult from an audience member at his famous Free Trade Hall show in Manchester in May 1966.

Responding to criticism that he plagiarised the work of other authors on his recent albums, Dylan told Rolling Stone: "Wussies and pussies complain about that stuff. It's an old thing ÔÇô it's part of the tradition. It goes way back.

"These are the same people that tried to pin the name Judas on me. Judas, the most hated name in human history! If you think you've been called a bad name, try to work your way out from under that. Yeah, and for what? For playing an electric guitar? As if that is in some kind of way equitable to betraying our Lord and delivering him up to be crucified."

I am now a Bob Dylan fan.