True Detective

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    toby.d said:
    Twin Peaks was a mess to me although I don't think I ever actually finished (or maybe even started) the second series.

quick question: in teh US we call these seasons 1 and 2. a "series" is another show altogether. what do you guys call a different show altogether?

in other words, please to translate the following into your local language: "It's rare when a series can stay consistent over multiple seasons."

• that room full of files stacked to the ceiling full of post-katrina missing person's and cold-cases might be one of the most chilling visuals of the whole series.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Pls stop writing "teevee." Sav som E's for th rst of us.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    It would be: "It's rare when a programme can stay consistent over multiple series."

People say 'season' and 'show' all the time here now though so all these are interchangeable.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    bassie said:
    Not really comparing True Detective and Twin Peaks as far as content, etc.
    Twin Peaks is the first show I remember talking and talking about with people - dissecting, analyzing, reading on, re-watching for clues and straight geeking over.
    It's also worth noting that Twin Peaks managed to be as byzantine and as bizarre as it was while being on a major network and broadcast during prime time. At the time, that was really some shit. My friends and I watched in a mindstate that was probably eighty percent engaged with the show and twenty percent almost jumping out of our skin at the mere fact of being able to sit in our suburban dens during the proverbial family hour and, in between commercials for Fritos or whatever, watch something so art-fucked and immaculate. In the annals of pleasantly suprising mainstream acceptance of Deep Weird, Twin Peaks is up there with the ascent of Prince. I mean, for a while, it was scheduled against fucking Cheers. Hello, Detective Hart.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Herm said:
    Pls stop writing "teevee." Sav som E's for th rst of us.

PLZ 2 D.L.T. URSELVE BRO THIS HOW I TYPE IT AND IT PAINS YOU TO BE REMINDED UR LIKE THOSE SIMPLE PEOPLE "JUST GOTTA WATCH MY STORIES" BRO SRSLY TEEVEEBABIES COMEON

Even though it was huge, and doublehuge here, and I'd heard why (racy, weirdy, sexy, doubleweirdy)--I was shocked watching it recently. I'm not sure it could survive the teabaggerz. Shit is creeeeeeeeepy

True Detective does clunk it up when they feel compelled to remind me they're on HBO.

• also, i dont think i've seen a dream-sequence so REAL in it's surrealness as i did inside of Twin Peaks, a not-since-matched feeling of smudged memory and tesselations, perfectly Escher and G├Âdel in real time. the feeling of experiencing a television show from inside your head.....

... i think everyone WANTED to get fully into rust cohle's head in that same way, and we almost did with that one-shot in the low rises, but not the way the hallucinations and wakeful dream states were implying we would.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    The most horrific scene by far is the depiction of the previously virile, young detectives deteriorate into lonely, old dudes with bad hair, fat guts and no women. Old Marty eating microwave dinners by himself and surfing Match.com gave me shivers.

phongone said:
    The most horrific scene by far is the depiction of the previously virile, young detectives deteriorate into lonely, old dudes with bad hair, fat guts and no women. Old Marty eating microwave dinners by himself and surfing Match.com gave me shivers.

haha I love those scenes. My neighbors can hear me, "see! See motherfuckers! It's gonna happen to all of you! Even supercop MattyMac and Woody with the ridiculously hot young tender bouncing on his rod--you're all going down too!"

Woody's description of his love life as occasional "dates." Dude is definitely availing himself of professional services.

And I'm not buying Mac's svelt wasteline after 10 yrs at a sixer+ a day.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Who eats pasta like that!

Woody's whole mouth is just hideously expressive.
    Just realised there're only 8 episodes so we've got to wrap it up next week. Shit!! No! We're clearly being led towards Lawnmower Man and obviously that'll be subverted in due course.
    The conspiracy I need to bust is why MM's dialogue isn't ADR'd like all the others' are. Answer me that, MF's!!

rootlesscosmo said:
    toby.d said:

3 - Episode 2 - Hart's daughters' dolls
    See my previous past

so this one is just a pure goose egg (is that what it's called?) for the audience. the dolls are arranged in such a way as to suggest the little girl's ritual killing. no way his daughter would actually have done that, right?

• It could be that Woody's daughter is renacting the crime scene her Dad investigated through hearing on the news/Dad talking to Mum?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    My guess is it's a reenactment of something one or both witnessed...perhaps linked to their grandfather. Trauma that could, for shits and giggles, be linked to the elder daughter's teenage sexual experimentation and adult era meds.
    I like how she went from making x-rated doodles to becoming a painter :l

bassie said:
    My guess is it's a reenactment of something one or both witnessed...perhaps linked to their grandfather. l

wait what?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I have heard that theory too (earlier in the thread?). That Maggie's old man may have had that tape Rust now has and Audrey saw it at some point. It certainly seems like we're meant to think she witnessed something related when she was younger. Where did Cohl get the tape from again?

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    bassie said:
    My guess is it's a reenactment of something one or both witnessed...perhaps linked to their grandfather. Trauma that could, for shits and giggles, be linked to the elder daughter's teenage sexual experimentation and adult era meds.

I have been thinking along the same lines. If we accept that Hart is not himself involved in the cult/conspiracy, then the imagery that appears in the older daughter's artwork (spiral drawing on the wall, barbie rape diorama, woman with black stars painting) has to come from somewhere.
    There was a distinct sense of unease in the visiting Maggie's parents scene - maybe it came from more than just Marty's bad relationship with his father in law? The in-laws appear to be wealthy members of the community. As we see the scope of the conspiracy expand I could see them being involved.
    And following that premise Maggie becomes a more interesting character. When she had sex with Cohle to get revenge on Marty she also conveniently derailed the two detectives when they were about to dive back into the case. Perhaps manipulated by her parents who were aware of/involved in the conspiracy?
    And why does she go to find Cohle in 2012 at the bar, when he dismisses her saying she's "classing up the joint"? Perhaps to drive a wedge in the partnership again?

Snapping said:
    bassie said:

I have been thinking along the same lines. If we accept that Hart is not himself involved in the cult/conspiracy, then the imagery that appears in the older daughter's artwork (spiral drawing on the wall, barbie rape diorama, woman with black stars painting) has to come from somewhere.
    There was a distinct sense of unease in the visiting Maggie's parents scene - maybe it came from more than just Marty's bad relationship with his father in law? The in-laws appear to be wealthy members of the community. As we see the scope of the conspiracy expand I could see them being involved.
    And following that premise Maggie becomes a more interesting character. When she had sex with Cole to get revenge on Marty she also conveniently derailed the two detectives when they were about to dive back into the case. Perhaps manipulated by her parents who were aware of/involved in the conspiracy?
    And why does she go to find Cole in 2012 at the bar, when he dismisses her saying she's "classing up the joint"? Perhaps to drive a wedge in the partnership again?

Hmmmm I like this theory. She pops up to derail things whenever they are getting close to figuring things out....

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Another thing not address as far as I know - Maggie's fairly upscale new lodgings. I am sexist-ly inferring that she remarried into some $$$?

Very Bad Grandpa.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    6 amazing hours of amazing, creepy subtlety...then an hour of kindergarten step-by-step exposition.

Yeah man...you nailed it. I was like, Wtf?......Rust suddenly lost all of his brooding and mysteriousness?...he was almost energetic and shit.... walking Marty through everything like he was a 5 year old...GTFO. Exposition is right! They best clean this shid up nice in the last episode...shit was really about to go down as one of the greatest seasons evaar until ep 7.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    The Prisoner's ending

:dodododo: :hated_it: :talib:

No explanation offered. The manifestation of broken promises, the soundtrack being the bottom of a barrel being scraped. If my teenage self had owned the telly I watched it on, my Chinese takeaway would still be stuck to the screen.

Twin Peaks was more interesting with the Black Lodge, but just too esoteric given what had gone before.

Must torrent the latest True D now...

Jimster,

I find this interesting as someone who watched The Prisoner recently in my 30s. So, you watched it "live" as it aired in sequence? I find that amazing. I would have flipped! Watching the ending completely outside that "now" box, so far removed, I just kinda shrugged off the ending like "yeah, that kinda fits the show." I heard peeps were literally yelling and spitting at dude on the street in London. The only thing I can try to equate that type of let down to is the ending of Lost?

Btw, I let me friend borrow my Prisoner DVD set 5 years ago that I bought for $5 and never received it back. I really need to re-watch.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Faces,

As you've seen the final "Prisoner", you know what they did. I just hope the final "True Detective" doesn't end with Rust and Marty crashing the car on the way to the end-of-level boss, being dragged out and drugged, then being eaten by a fifty-foot, green-eared, cgi spaghetti monster, THE-END.

I wasn't around to see the OG "Prisoner" airing in the 60s, but they did re-show it on C4, episode by episode, in the 80s when I was a teenager. My dad remembered it, and he wouldn't tell me what happened at the end. He just said it was controversial. This was a period where VHS Box Sets were not around, and most folks rented their movies, so we just had to wait.

No biggie, because there was no internet either, so we filled our time with healthier pursuits like swapping vinyl, Statis-Pro Football and stashing pr0n mags. I was hyped about seeing the show mostly because Iron Maiden used audio samples on their track "Prisoner" which we all used to try and mimic, verbatim. We've all done it, right?

But freal, the ending was a cop-out.

My dad told me Paddy Mac had not expected the show to be a success, and had run out of ideas (IIRC, his creative input had increased significantly toward the end). My older self could perhaps nowadays write the final episode off as the character's final descent into madness, but it's not an appropriate denouement given what had gone before. It's the equivalent of Stephen King finishing a novel with "...but then she woke up and it had all been a bad dream."

Fingers-crossed.

I can't remember a show that suffered as much as TD from the short season format. THey really struggled to wrap it up in teh last 2 eps, and it hurt the show a lot.

the first 6 eps were sooooo good, subtle, etc. and then that 2nd-to-last episode was kind of laughably simplistic. It was pure exposition. Rust invites WOody into a storage shed and basically says "here's where I explain the whole plot to the viewers at home, complete with diagrams!"

and then the last episode, I mean, I was OK I guess. but it was just a pretty standard climax/scary maze chase scene. pretty unimaginative. and the last scene with the two of them at the hospital was corny as fuck! I thought I was watching a buddy flick from the 80s.

• for a show that was all about time being circular, it's painfully ironic that they ran out of time.

• so....

no word on the yellow king.
    no explanation of the circled men.
    no explanation of hart's daughter's drawings.
    no explanation about any of the occultic symbols.
    rust's description of time and space were completely superfluous.

i've almost lost count of the let downs.

a sad conclusion for the True Dick Heads

• this is me.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Yeah, kind of underwhelming. I think shows like this will always suffer as they progress though. At first you're thinking "is this any good?" Then you're caught up in the details and almost generating more mystique by overthinking it. Then as you realize it's about to end, disappointment sets in because you realize not all
    of the details will be answered. Whodunnits always feel kind of disappointing. The real thrill is in the hunt, never in the reveal.

I thought the end was ok. Hospital stuff kind of lame, but I also didn't want them to just die all easy peasy.

I'm assuming this was wrapped or in production when breaking bad aired, but I bet they were a tad bummed when Walter used their same fake sniper technique.

Rust being able to hold the dudes arm as he head butted him, also while severely gutted...puhlease. Oh yeah, he was fucking in the air too! Remus could have easily over powered him. But maybe that was just sicko styles, like "yeah, head butt me, I love it."

I did enjoy the creepy accents and the tension of wondering if Rust or Marty would die, but kind of meh. They are so bad at any sort or logical police procedure. Wait for your bro, bro!

When that blue vortex appeared, I was like oh shit, it's the shark...Rust is gearing up to jump it.