YouTube diggers - RR

2»

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    parallax said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    nobody cares

Based on some of the responses and the number of views, I'd say that's a slight over-statement.

nope

if people cared, it would be an issue. it's not. the vast majority of rap music with samples that's been released over the last few years did not come from vinyl. even if it's not from youtube, it is often from mp3s.

This.

Nobody listening cares. It's sad but true. Throw an 808 kick under that bitch and a nice sub bass line and all the concerns of "fidelity" cease to matter, because it still bumps in the whip/clup. Ain't nobody using filtered baselines anymore - so bass purity don't matter. And nobody listening to rap is going to have a "man, these strings and horns and keys don't have the reverb trails and stereo images I like... shit's wack!!" Add that to the fact that we've been introduced to so many sonic textures/styles by now that digital compression artifacts are perceived as distorted or effected on purpose.

It is what it is.

I'd be interested to hear Thes' take on this.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Take your face off! Nobody talks about bass purity like that!

Earbuds, shitty crosley iPod docks, computer speakers, etc. that's today's stereo for most people. And in the end, a beat is hot or not, regardless of it's origins.

I get it, shit does sound better in high quality, but ultimately that's like frosting on cake. At the core, people either like the music or they don't and sound quality plays very little in the decision. I mean, yes, straight muffled garbage is one thing, but non audiophile is another.

People get geeked on shitty rips of early 80s rap live shows. Just hearing them is the experience, not the fidelity. If anything, the shitty quality adds a mystique.

• BeatChemist said:
    "man, these strings and horns and keys don't have the reverb trails and stereo images I like... shit's wack!!"

Listeners never say "ooooh these vocals are very harsh around 5k", "they should have cut 800hz on the reverb", either.... Yet, there are some people that care about that and some even paid for it, in the production process.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    While most listeners are unaware of what makes good production values, most respond well to good production and don't care for bad production.

Of course good and bad are subjective, but Joel Dorn and Rudy Van Gelder and George Martin made good musicians sound great by caring about these things.

Sam Phillips, Leonard Chess and Norman Petty* made records that sounded raw, but believe they worked hard to get the sound they wanted.

The public didn't know or care about their productions techniques, they just bought the records.

As for sampling youtube, if a producer can make it work, then it is a good thing. (Musically not legally.)

*All my examples are from the past because that is all I know.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Fair enough.

I guess I'm just aging and still romanticizing "the art form".

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    At the core, people either like the music or they don't and sound quality plays very little in the decision.
    True.

And on the other side, the creative side, while I would not go so far as to say that creativity and heavy investment in sound quality are mutually exclusive, I will say that the folks most concerned about sound quality and the folks with interesting artistic ideas seem to very rarely be the same folks. People who sweat fidelity and gear seem more prone to taking a craft-heavy, outside-in approach to creation. And while that approach is not without its place or its merits, its products are seldom the things that move people and/or endure.

james said:
    Controller_7 said:
    At the core, people either like the music or they don't and sound quality plays very little in the decision.
    True.

And on the other side, the creative side, while I would not go so far as to say that creativity and heavy investment in sound quality are mutually exclusive, I will say that the folks most concerned about sound quality and the folks with interesting artistic ideas seem to very rarely be the same folks. People who sweat fidelity and gear seem more prone to taking a craft-heavy, outside-in approach to creation. And while that approach is not without its place or its merits, its products are seldom the things that move people and/or endure.

I gave examples of producers/engineers "who sweat fidelity and gear" who I think moved people.

Can you give examples of people who don't "sweat fidelity and gear" and move people and those who do who don't?

swissbeatz said:
    BeatChemist said:
    "man, these strings and horns and keys don't have the reverb trails and stereo images I like... shit's wack!!"

Listeners never say "ooooh these vocals are very harsh around 5k", "they should have cut 800hz on the reverb", either.... Yet, there are some people that care about that and some even paid for it, in the production process.

Don't mistake my realism for a lack of appreciation for professional quality mixing and mastering. I don't want sibilants grating my ears for 4.5 minutes straight, and I don't want a track that's slammed into Waves L2 for it's 'mastering'. But if you're a producer and you can make a hot beat with a youtube sample, I am not going to think you're cheating. Fuck rules. Fuck all that shit. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

And I can totally get on board with the generalization that increased concern for audio fidelity means decreased creativity. Obviously not all the time. But I have found that the more rules you have about what that perfect sound should be, the less you're likely to take a chance that might break those rules. Technicality is almost inversely related to creativity in this way.

• james said:

But records are seldom made by one person. Interesting and groundbreaking musical creation is often magnified by good engineering. And by good I mean "make it sound better without detracting from the raw idea" and that's what's most successful engineer do. The-Dream won't sound as good without Dave Pensado, Kendrick won't sound as great without Derek Ali,...

swissbeatz said:
    james said:

But records are seldom made by one person. Interesting and groundbreaking musical creation is often magnified by good engineering. And by good I mean "make it sound better without detracting from the raw idea" and that's what's most successful engineer do. The-Dream won't sound as good without Dave Pensado, Kendrick won't sound as great without Derek Ali,...

Oh absolutely agreed!! I love bumping Kendrick's album loud because it actually gets better the louder you hear it. You FEEL it. Time and effort were put into the engineering, mixing, and mastering, and it shows. But that's happening less and less. Artists now are dumping straight out of Ableton right into Beatport/Bandcamp/Soundcloud.

I'm not saying I like it. But that's how it is.

• BeatChemist said:

Don't mistake my realism for a lack of appreciation for professional quality mixing and mastering. I don't want sibilants grating my ears for 4.5 minutes straight, and I don't want a track that's slammed into Waves L2 for it's 'mastering'. But if you're a producer and you can make a hot beat with a youtube sample, I am not going to think you're cheating. Fuck rules. Fuck all that shit. If it sounds good, it sounds good.

And I can totally get on board with the generalization that increased concern for audio fidelity means decreased creativity. Obviously not all the time. But I have found that the more rules you have about what that perfect sound should be, the less you're likely to take a chance that might break those rules. Technicality is almost inversely related to creativity in this way.

I don't have any rules either... But have you tried to stereo enhance a mp3 with waves S1, did you try to boost the high end of an mp3 ? It reacts very differently and I have a real time getting it right (what people ask me to do). Recently I had to mix a track consisting of a single sample and a vocal, and it was a nightmare. But i had the record so I re did and it worked perfectly. I could widen it better and the eq was less weird, allowing me to go harder on it, and leave more room for the vocals.

I know this doesn't concern the majority of people, but saying it doesn't matter at all is kind of a over statement.
    A mp3 is like a thumbnail preview picture, at the right size, it does what it's supposed to do. But if you try to make it bigger it won't work anymore.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    james said:
    Controller_7 said:
    True.

Man, I don't agree with this at all.

I've never known or heard of a musician was good on their instrument who didn't also care deeply about the sound they were getting out of it. That doesn't mean they always wanted the 'best' or most expensive gear, but the sound was paramount however it was achieved.

On the production side, do you think somebody like Lee perry didn't spend hundreds of hours perfecting the sound he got out of his equipment? Dude was one of the most creative musical entities ever. Hendrix was obsessed with his gear and was constantly having his guitars and amps tweaked. Jimmy Page, Max Roach, John Coltrane etc etc - all musicians who were fanatical about their gear in an effort to get the sounds they wanted. I could probably give dozens more examples of great musicians who were obsessed with getting the exact sounds they wanted - can you name any who were known for not giving a shit?

Sure, there are examples of the devil-may-care blues dude or whoever who would play anything they could get their hands on, but often those people were talented to a degree that they could make any piece of crap sound good.

You can go down the line - Stax, Sun, Muscle Shoals, Chess, United Sound, The Record Plant, The Manor, Abbey Road - these were all musical scenes unto themselves that produced some of the greatest music ever and in each case hundreds and hundreds of hours were spent perfecting the sound.

Again, this doesn't always mean the highest fidelity, but the exact sound created was endlessly sweated by the very people creating with it. Frankly, I don't see how you separate the two.

swissbeatz said:

I don't have any rules either... But have you tried to stereo enhance a mp3 with waves S1, did you try to boost the high end of an mp3 ? It reacts very differently and I have a real time getting it right (what people ask me to do). Recently I had to mix a track consisting of a single sample and a vocal, and it was a nightmare. But i had the record so I re did and it worked perfectly. I could widen it better and the eq was less weird, allowing me to go harder on it, and leave more room for the vocals.

I know this doesn't concern the majority of people, but saying it doesn't matter at all is kind of a over statement.
    A mp3 is like a thumbnail preview picture, at the right size, it does what it's supposed to do. But if you try to make it bigger it won't work anymore.

I feel for you - I would hate to have to engineer/mix other people's music in that way. It only follows that you have a more personal, intimate (pasue!) relationship with audio fidelity.

I guess my point is that "right" is always subjective, and the current trend in music consumption (laptops, earbuds, wireless bluetooth, etc) is just pushing producers to care less about audio quality.

I will always enjoy a well mixed song more than the same song poorly mixed. And when you listen to a quality source on a quality playback setup, it can be quite an enlightening, even spiritual experience.

Unfortunately not everyone has engineer ears!! So for some people... all this talk means nothing.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    james said:
    Controller_7 said:
    True.

I gave examples of producers/engineers "who sweat fidelity and gear" who I think moved people.

Can you give examples of people who don't "sweat fidelity and gear" and move people and those who do who don't?
    I'm sorry, I was unclear: I meant what I said in the modern context of shit like sampling off of YouTube; I didn't mean it historically.

I wouldn't disagree with any of your (or Horseleech's) examples, but what I'm talking about is the more contemporary, post-sampling (or at least post-modern) phenomenon, which has a lot to do with received wisdom and retrofixation and trying hard to make records that sound like good records used to sound rather than trying hard to make records that do what good records used to do. Mine is a beef that I wouldn't really consider applicable to the ground-zero caliber of dudes you've listed.

• BeatChemist said:

I guess my point is that "right" is always subjective, and the current trend in music consumption (laptops, earbuds, wireless bluetooth, etc) is just pushing producers to care less about audio quality.

I think there's a also a true misconception that the shitty consumer devices gives you a pass for making bad sound. I will even say that is quite the opposite. While it's true that you won't be able to tell all the details, all the harsh stuff will be harsher, if the bass has not enough harmonics you won't hear it well... But don't get me wrong, there is a lot of non engineer people with laptops that do stuff that sounds pretty good... All I think is they succeed at it because they "care", at least a little....

• GeniusGenius 10 Posts
    I've got 10 beats called "Beat Wave" where I sampled records from youtube and other sites.

Genius said:
    I've got 10 beats called "Beat Wave" where I sampled records from youtube and other sites.

Post em up!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts

here is a beat I made using a couple of youtube samples, first one is the JAH! sample at the start, it was from a Jah Shaka live show in Japan, the second sample is from an Aaron Dugan video I found on youtube - I had never heard of the dude before and watched shit loads of his videos one day and decided to borrow a sample or two or three, lol

here is a link to the Jah Shaka video its from a playlist and I have no clue on how to embed it -

and the aaron dugan

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Excuse I, but how dem gets dat rastaferryin soundclowd playah? Dem computers don cloak demselves in the draypings of Jah!

Controller_7 said:
    Excuse I, but how dem gets dat rastaferryin soundclowd playah? Dem computers don cloak demselves in the draypings of Jah!

FALSE RASTA!! ;)

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    actually i never came back to see how this posted, that player is pretty friggin ugly and huge - i dont know why it needs to be like that or if the size can be adjusted, but the previous way to embed soundcloud files was way better and easier to use as well and had more customization options imho... and from a UI standpoint - was far more easier on the eyes.

um not sure when they added this updated view..

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    all I know is the simple beats I make on my old RS7000 sampling records sound way better straight out the box unmixed than the super technical, mega chopped youtube sampled mixed Ableton tracks I'm hearing.

DustedDon said:
    all I know is the simple beats I make on my old RS7000 sampling records sound way better straight out the box unmixed than the super technical, mega chopped youtube sampled mixed Ableton tracks I'm hearing.

*like*

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Neil Young has a new music player you guys might want to check out

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    YouTube samples? Gross. Just pay the $9.99 a month and sample off Spotify ;)

parallax said:
    DustedDon said:

*like*

+1

• PoljakovPoljakov 21 Posts
    I don't like sampling off youtube, it feels pretty "cheap" and it sounds horrible as well, but hey, why are we even surprised, I even heard about VINYL REISSUES sourced from mp3's? I know for a fact that some so called reissues were sourced from 192kbps mp3 files...shit, not even 320kbps! 192kbps files recorded from vinyl not even de-clicked or denoised!

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Neil Young has a new music player you guys might want to check out

You can put AIFF, WAV or Apple Lossless in all iPods and iDevices...

:puto: