CRIMEA

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the guy whose economic/financial knowledge consists of pasting from reuters articles is hypothesizing stock market crashes as if all of this exists in a vacuum

lol. give it a rest

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    http://www.nato.int/cps/en/natolive/news_107711.htm

Secretary General announces North Atlantic Council to meet following Poland's request for Article 4 consultations

Didn't take Poland long to get twitchy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Flomotion said:

Kind of interesting how so many former Soviets are nostalgic for the iron grip of the old regime.

This is Putin's appeal in a nutshell; make it like it was in the old days, but without the queues.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    GLOBAL WARMING IS AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE ENEMY!

Not to get off track, but I actually kind of believe this.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    the guy whose economic/financial knowledge consists of pasting from reuters articles is hypothesizing stock market crashes as if all of this exists in a vacuum

lol. give it a rest

what do you think the U.S. should do

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

lol. give it a rest

don't think we should be getting involved at all

that's not projecting strength though

also innocents will be hurt

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

you started this trolling you can't end it

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not trolling at all in this thread

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

lol. give it a rest

You're advocating the exact same thing Bon Vivant proposed.

back in the old country they call that trolling

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

lol. give it a rest

Airstrikes on Syria. Show the Russians that America is still relevant on the global stage.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    back in the old country they call that trolling

I guess I just expect a little more contrary-ness from my contrarians. Dude's on some "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF TEH CHILDREN. I AGREE COMPLETELY."

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

lol. give it a rest

not at all. his post implied that we're some sort of gatekeeper that can either choose to either let this happen or not. we have 0 leverage in this situation and things will become exponentially worse the instant the US military gets involved in this situation.

I personally do not think we should get involved and also think that our presence can only make the situation worse. I also do not think that anyone should be encouraging "mistakes" that will more than likely cause innocent bystanders to get killed. but hey, that's just me.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Their is not going to be a world war and the chances of any war is slim. The Ukraine has already indicated they can't fight back. The US makes moves like this all the time. Putin just wants to have the land where his Navy base is and expects everyone to accept it because.......he's Putin. The US still hold numerous pieces of other countries as military bases. I'm not saying it's right but it's hard for the US to say much the way we've invaded places left and right guns blazing.

Neither Putin or Ukraine want an actual war and it will take a while for the UN (and US) to figure out what actual sanctions they will enact. Ukraine is highly strategic for the Russians (military and natural resources) and the recent protests their got Russia nervous about their puppet government in Ukraine and gave them an excuse to move in. I would expect Russia gets their way somehow. It's possible they just bully Crimea into leaving Ukraine and joining Russian.

PatrickCrazy said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

lol. give it a rest

not at all. his post implied that we're some sort of gatekeeper that can either choose to either let this happen or not. we have 0 leverage in this situation and things will become exponentially worse the instant the US military gets involved in this situation.

I personally do not think we should get involved and also think that our presence can only make the situation worse. I also do not think that anyone should be encouraging "mistakes" that will more than likely cause innocent bystanders to get killed. but hey, that's just me.

This is true. We have no way of getting in there and doing anything. Crimea is the far edge eastern Europe so we just have to work with the EU and UN. Other than offering troops to the UN we are not getting anywhere near Crimea with our military short of a missile attack. The options are sanctions or missiles.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    EU does not support sanctions

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Crimea a river, I cried a river over you.

Frank said:
    Nothing big is going to happen. The Ukrainian opposition is too weak and splintered to put much against a Russian intervention of the Crimea. Except maybe the fascist fraction and I won't cry any tears over those when the Russians go in. No way will there be any military action by the West against Russia. Just like there wasn't any during the Russian Georgian war.

^That's the whole story right there.

Russia is protecting her interests and citizens, which is the same the US would do.
    The Ukrainian government is being allowed to form, they will work out the details of all of Russia's leases in time.

Obama is being attacked for not talking tough.
    John Kerry has already said that "All options are on the table" which means the nuclear option has not been ruled out.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Frank said:
    Nothing big is going to happen. The Ukrainian opposition is too weak and splintered to put much against a Russian intervention of the Crimea. Except maybe the fascist fraction and I won't cry any tears over those when the Russians go in. No way will there be any military action by the West against Russia. Just like there wasn't any during the Russian Georgian war.

Russia is protecting her interests and citizens, which is the same the US would do.
    The Ukrainian government is being allowed to form, they will work out the details of all of Russia's leases in time.

John Kerry has already said that "All options are on the table" which means the nuclear option has not been ruled out.

Pretty sure if the US moved its tanks, soldiers and warships into another sovereign country to "protect its interests and citizens" that would be considered an act of war.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

Probably because it was never considered.

phongone said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Frank said:

Pretty sure if the US moved its tanks, soldiers and warships into another sovereign country to "protect its interests and citizens" that would be considered an act of war.

By the world community. No doubt.
    But we have done and would do again in Granada, Panama, and other forgotten week long crisis spots.
    Not to mention other larger more obvious interventions.
    Lets not forget our on going drone war in numerous countries.

PatrickCrazy said:
    EU does not support sanctions

Not surprising. It's like everyone is saying, the US can huff and puff but their is nothing we can do and the US is aggressive all the time so we have no moral high ground.

Horseleech said:
    LaserWolf said:

No kidding. CNN and FOX are loving the whole war angle because they have time to fill on shows but no political leader is actual considering anything close to that. Our only option is to bang out chests and squawk like monkeys.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Flomotion said:

Kind of interesting how so many former Soviets are nostalgic for the iron grip of the old regime.

This is Putin's appeal in a nutshell; make it like it was in the old days, but without the queues.

Small wonder, then, that a certain subspecies of Stateside right-wingers kinda swoon over the guy.

• Horseleech said:
    LaserWolf said:

Not by anyone with a triple-digit IQ.

Most Crimeans are Russians. Not just "ethnic Russians," but actual Russian-as-a-first-language Russians.

It is inconceivable that in a similar situation the US would not do exactly what Russia is doing.

A few pro forma clucks from Kerry and Obama is all that's called for from the US here, at least so far.

And John McCain can go fuck himself.

• Frank said:

Sums it up nicely. The fascist fraction in Ukraine will get a big boost from this, at least in the short term, but I think that was going to happen anyway.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    not trolling at all...well, not as much as I normally would in this kind of thread

fixed