Mount Rushmore Of Music

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Now this gets good when cats dissect others picks.

• volumen said:
    I'm not replacing him I just don't think Dylan should be up there at all. If your talking Mount Rushmore then you basically need people that are founders. Dylan just continued what Woody and Leadbelly and Pete Seeger were already doing. Nielsen has had a lot of historical significance in rock and been a major influence on tons of bands from the 70's through today in multiple styles of music. His still writing and touring pushing 70 years old. So as far as the 70's stadium rock era forward he is a good candidate. Plus you need a guy with a band logo bow tie and a flipped bill baseball cap or the whole thing would look to stoic.

Dylan just inspired drop outs to get high and he's barley been able to stand up and talk since about 82'. That doesn't mean he didn't do some good work, but he's over rated.

Yeah, you're right, 100 years from now Dylan will be forgotten and music historians will be digging out nuggets of information about Rick Nielsen to feed to insatiable acolytes.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

founding father - Robert Johnson (sorry Son House fans)

Interesting...why? Based off the 'founding father' conclusion...I would think that would make House an even bigger candidate for your Rushmore because his recordings are what influenced R. Johnson, Muddy Waters, everyone, etc...

• JectWon said:
    LaserWolf said:

Interesting...why? Based off the 'founding father' conclusion...I would think that would make House an even bigger candidate for your Rushmore because his recordings are what influenced R. Johnson, Muddy Waters, everyone, etc...

Yeah, as great as he is, he was hardly the founding father of anything. He is really part of the last wave of original country blues musicians.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Son House, or Charlie Patton?

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    And speaking of Charlies, Parker may deserve precident over Miles or Coltrane.

• button said:
    And speaking of Charlies, Parker may deserve precident over Miles or Coltrane.

No. Coltrane > Ayler > Parker > Miles.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Ron Hardy
    Larry Levan
    Derrick May
    Juan Atkins

b/w

Rick "Cheap Trick" Neilsen?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    JectWon said:
    LaserWolf said:

House and Patton are famous for being the first Delta blues musicians to be recorded. They are great. They influenced many. I will be the last to deny any of that.

Robert Johnson's entire recorded repertoire has become part of rock/pop/jazz's foundation. House and Patton are artists who are known mainly to aficionados, but whose direct influence on rock/pop/jazz is less than Johnson's.

Many Robert Johnson songs are rock, blues and jazz standards.
    House and Patton? Some of their songs have been covered from time to time, but have never entered the lexicon.

It is true, and I acknowledge, that Johnson was influenced by the SH and CP, and some of his songs were rewrites of their songs. But Johnson is the one who cleaned up their performances and placed them in a modern context that made it easy for future generations to incorporate into what was happening.

The reason that Washington, and not Adams, is the Founder (on Rushmore, and VI's post) is because of his broad influence and legend. Like Robert Johnson.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    I'm not replacing him I just don't think Dylan should be up there at all. If your talking Mount Rushmore then you basically need people that are founders. Dylan just continued what Woody and Leadbelly and Pete Seeger were already doing. Nielsen has had a lot of historical significance in rock and been a major influence on tons of bands from the 70's through today in multiple styles of music. His still writing and touring pushing 70 years old. So as far as the 70's stadium rock era forward he is a good candidate. Plus you need a guy with a band logo bow tie and a flipped bill baseball cap or the whole thing would look to stoic.

Dylan just inspired drop outs to get high and he's barley been able to stand up and talk since about 82'. That doesn't mean he didn't do some good work, but he's over rated.

Yeah, you're right, 100 years from now Dylan will be forgotten and music historians will be digging out nuggets of information about Rick Nielsen to feed to insatiable acolytes.

I'm not saying that at all. Have fun being mad about the fake Mount Rushmore. The fun in all this is that we get to make our own. No one is going to agree. Plus I changed it to Lemmy, happy?

• volumen said:
    I'm not saying that at all. Have fun being mad about the fake Mount Rushmore. The fun in all this is that we get to make our own. No one is going to agree. Plus I changed it to Lemmy, happy?

I wasn't mad.

But Lemmy? Yeah, now you're talking. Lemmy's a BEAST.

• MC Serch
    Prime Minister Pete Nice
    Everlast
    Eminem