Mount Rushmore Of Music

Comments

• Well you minused Lars. I'm with you. It is what it is and appreciate it and can't imagine it any other way, but some of those drum sounds are doodee.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Well you minused Lars. I'm with you. It is what it is and appreciate it and can't imagine it any other way, but some of those drum sounds are doodee.

Every story I've ever heard from people who've met dude suggest that his drums take after his personality.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Strictly USA:

James
    Miles
    Elvis
    Iggy

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Controller_7 said:
    Well you minused Lars. I'm with you. It is what it is and appreciate it and can't imagine it any other way, but some of those drum sounds are doodee.

Every story I've ever heard from people who've met dude suggest that his drums take after his personality.

I have no problem with his drumming. He's in Metallica. He started Metallica?

All it takes is one interview snippet and he's Osama though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Curtis Mayfield
    JB
    Nina Simone

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Right now, at this particular moment, just on some strength, I'm gonna say:

Suicide. Twice.

Rest in peace, Marty Thau.

(In a side note: I mentioned this on here a few years back, but I've long felt that Mount Rushmore fronts would be fly.)

(In a side note to the side note: This was this one time the one Terry_Clubbup and I stepped out of a luncheon and saw a service truck labeled "Mobile Grill Repair." In the two minutes before we figured out what it probably really was, we were imagining a panicked phone call: "I'm out here at a family barbecue in Washington Park and some corn on the cob just fucked my fronts all up--y'all gotta help, joe!" "Don't worry, shun--we're on our way now!" [sound of sirens and peeling tires])

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rudy Van Gelder
    Barry Gordy
    Willie Dixon
    Moses Asch

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Mo Ashe

Moe Asch?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    All four faces would be of John Coltrane.
    Same exact pose in each, but at different angles.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ Screw
    Fat Pat
    Big Moe
    Pimp C

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    mrmatthew said:
    All four faces would be of John Coltrane.
    Same exact pose in each, but at different angles.

oh, i like that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Joke Rushmore:

Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan
    Dylan

Mindgarden Rushmore:

DJ Premier
    Large Professor
    KRS-One
    Hank Shocklee

Actual Rushmore:

James Brown
    Miles Davis
    Jimi
    Bambaataa

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    button said:
    If anyone thinks they know me, or has a problem with my picks, come say it to my face

Anyone who puts GG Allin on their Rushmore should not be approached face to face...your odds of being a shit slinger have gone up exponentially in my book. The Madonna is also kinda freaking me out.

But I've been thinking about my personal Music Rushmore all day and I'm too pussy to do it...so fuck me.

SON HOUSE
    JAMES BROWN
    KOOL HERC
    JIMMY SMITH

There....I did it. Jimmy might get bumped before actual construction starts.

dukeofdelridge said:
    My inner 15-year-old doesn't allow for questioning the perfection of Metallica.

My inner 15 year old is still PISSED that I stopped skating and haven't listened to Pantera in a long ass time. He's also very confused as to why I now enjoy the sample sources of Wu-Tang beats more than the actual Wu beats, overall. He also regularly makes fun of how appropriately my clothes fit.

But I can drink that piece of shit under the table and beat the shit out of him...he knows the fuckin deal.

james said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Mo Ashe

Moe Asch?

Thank you.

• button said:
    Sun ra , GG Allin , Esquerita , Madonna

Since it's Mt. Rushmore they should all be from the US.

I'm not sure I've ever seen GG and Sun Ra mentioned together before.

New list:

Dylan
    Mark E. Smith
    Skip James
    Masaki Batoh

Rushmore of people I've actually met:

Joey Ramone
    Mary Chapin Carpenter
    Jeff Conolly
    Liam Clancy

Anti-Rushmore:

Murry Wilson
    Hank Williams Jr.
    Rick Wakeman
    Madonna

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

^ not the dog, though. Sorry.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Johnny
    Joey
    Dee Dee
    No Hungarian dude
    Jello
    And for Biafra to be defaced, and chiselled in place:
    Debbie Harry

• skel said:
    Johnny
    Joey
    Dee Dee

I still can't believe they're all gone.

My most-seen live band.

• are we trying to figure out a general top 4 overall? or should we maybe be trying to find musical acts that best represent washington, jefferson, roosevelt and lincoln?

founding father + intellectual/enlightenment advocate + masculinity/persona + grand orator/civil rights activist

vintageinfants said:
    are we trying to figure out a general top 4 overall? or should we maybe be trying to find musical acts that best represent washington, jefferson, roosevelt and lincoln?

founding father + intellectual/enlightenment advocate + masculinity/persona + grand orator/civil rights activist

Quick first pass.
    founding father - Robert Johnson (sorry Son House fans)
    intellectual/enlightenment advocate - Bob Dylan
    masculinity/persona - Lou Reed
    grand orator/civil rights activist - Sam Cooke (I thinks works well as Lincoln, who I would not describe as Civil rights activist.)

• i took it to mean the greatest american musical innovators, those who had the greatest and most influential impact on popular music and its development. so, james brown is really a no brainer because without him entire genres of music would not exist.

ok, i have my fourth pick and i'm not completely satsified with it but i'm going to go with les paul. he was a good jazz player but i guess i'd nominate him for inventing the electric solid body guitar.

I think that is what the OP meant to. But I find VI's a fun diversion.

• John Coltrane
    James Brown
    Curtis Mayfield
    Beatles (including a 5th Beatle spot for George Martin... Put an Apple up for all I care, there are no rules for a fictional musical tourist trap in South Dakota.)

• Sorry, somebody beat y'all to it:

And they aren't even Murcin.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Woody Guthrie
    John Coltrane
    Chuck Berry
    James Brown

or

Lead Belly
    Miles Davis
    Little Richard
    Rick Nielsen

So many options but Dylan is a no.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Sorry, somebody beat y'all to it:

And they aren't even Murcin.

No offense to Deep Purple or anyone else but based on most of these answers we may have to change the name to Mount Blackmore!

• volumen said:
    Woody Guthrie
    John Coltrane
    Chuck Berry
    James Brown

or

Lead Belly
    Miles Davis
    Little Richard
    Rick Nielsen

I generally have no problem with people who can't deal with Dylan but replacing him with Rick Nielsen is like replacing your dick with a Number 2 eraser...

Well, no, it's a lot worse than that, but that's close enough for now.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    LazarusOblong said:
    volumen said:
    Woody Guthrie
    John Coltrane
    Chuck Berry
    James Brown

or

Lead Belly
    Miles Davis
    Little Richard
    Lemmy

I generally have no problem with people who can't deal with Dylan but replacing him with Rick Nielsen is like replacing your dick with a Number 2 eraser...

Well, no, it's a lot worse than that, but that's close enough for now.

I'm not replacing him I just don't think Dylan should be up there at all. If your talking Mount Rushmore then you basically need people that are founders. Dylan just continued what Woody and Leadbelly and Pete Seeger were already doing. Nielsen has had a lot of historical significance in rock and been a major influence on tons of bands from the 70's through today in multiple styles of music. His still writing and touring pushing 70 years old. So as far as the 70's stadium rock era forward he is a good candidate. Plus you need a guy with a band logo bow tie and a flipped bill baseball cap or the whole thing would look to stoic.

Dylan just inspired drop outs to get high and he's barley been able to stand up and talk since about 82'. That doesn't mean he didn't do some good work, but he's over rated.