Soul Strut 100: # 1 - Stark Reality - Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited October 2015 in The Soul Strut 100
I will slowly be unveiling the Top 100 Soul Strut Related Records as Voted by the Strutters Themselves.

# 1 - Stark Reality - Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop

Please discuss your reactions to this record. The thread will be archived later here.

About

Stark Reality was an American jazz/rock fusion band most famous for their 1970 album The Stark Reality Discovers Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop, a heavily-improvised reinvention of a 1958 children's album by songwriter Hoagy Carmichael, to be used for the show Hoagy Carmichael's Music Shop which aired on PBS and has been sampled by many hip-hop artists like Large Professor or J-Live. The album was re-released in 2003 by the Stones Throw label with the addition of previously unreleased songs under the name Now. 6 previously unreleased songs have been released by Stones Throw as a compilation called 1969. Formed in Boston, Massachusetts, most of the band's members attended the Berklee College of Music..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stark_Reality_(band)

Related Threads

Stark Reality

black eyed peas use Stark Reality on their new LP

Stark Reality. Never heard it. Justified hype?

How desperate are you for a holy grail?

Media

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    BEAN DIP!

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    still need an og
    as in never gonna find one in the wilds
    edit
    i can't believe whats going on didn't make the list-it should be #1
    wtf people?

• What, no link to the original bean dip thread? probably have to use the waybackmachine for that one.

This is the ultimate SS record and is rightfully #1. Monty appearing on the board will be the greatest salma hayek until Salma herself signs in.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    kala said:

i can't believe whats going on didn't make the list-it should be #1
    wtf people?

Agreed. Substance over novelty.

• As the list was taking shape, it was clear that this would be #1, and rightly so.

This thread will probably devolve into griping about what was left off the list, but wow- Black Moon and Quasimoto make it but no 36 Chambers, Midnight Marauders, Straight Outta Compton, or any Ice Cube? Also, no love for the South.

Really surprised about What's Going On as well as Let's Get It On - I recall lots of threads debating those two.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "I am shocked! Shocked! To see Stark Reality at #1!"
    "Here is your bean dip sir."

• The real question now is who has 100/100?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What's Goin' On has been mentioned plenty of times here, but its so ubiquitous.

But something like My People........ Hold On has more "digger" value since cats discovered it outside their family's Cat Stevens stack.

Its been established that these picks are SS mystique records and not the freshest 100 records we all agree on.

• batmon said:

But something like My People........ Hold On has more "digger" value since cats discovered it outside their family's Cat Stevens stack.

Its been established that these picks are SS mystique records and not the freshest 100 records we all agree on.

Thriller and Off the Wall are the most ubiquitous of LPs, but they're both on here because of all the endless debates. I feel like What's Going On vs Lets Get It On as well as the Low End Theory vs Midnight Marauders debates had similar Soul Strut cache.

But come on, Black Moon, really? 36 Chambers should've been in the mix - that gets mentioned anytime there's a "List your top 10 all time rap LPs" thread.

Don't be talking down on Black Moon.

• Haha, I will admit to being stoked to find the original LP back in the day, but still...

• DO OVER

• Cool, I'm happy to see this list was made whether it's accurate or not I checked out some great albums I've been sleeping on.

Chuck_Huss said:
    batmon said:

Thriller and Off the Wall are the most ubiquitous of LPs, but they're both on here because of all the endless debates. I feel like What's Going On vs Lets Get It On as well as the Low End Theory vs Midnight Marauders debates had similar Soul Strut cache.

But come on, Black Moon, really? 36 Chambers should've been in the mix - that gets mentioned anytime there's a "List your top 10 all time rap LPs" thread.

I created the WGO vs LGO thread. That comparison is far from the multi-layered versus that OTW vs Thriller is.

Most digger dudes here are WGO fans, with Here My Dear coming in second.

And Black Moon is WACK.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts

...Black Moon, really? 36 Chambers should've been in the mix - that gets mentioned anytime there's a "List your top 10 all time rap LPs" thread.

+1

It's not even close. 36 Chambers by a mile.

That said, there are several other odd choices in the 100.

b/w

I fully endorse the #1 pick

batmon said:

And Black Moon is WACK.

Going for troll of the year, are we?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The Soul Strut 100, incidentally, is No. 1 in my countdown for Slowest Rollout of Lists Ever.

Teh Hoagy Bean Dip seems as apropos a winner as there ever could have been even if the list totally lacked Salsa, the most popular dip in this great nation.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

And Black Moon is WACK.

:NO:

:lush:

Perhaps a Rap 100 is in order.

bassie said:

YES!

• An SS Rap 100 would be perfect. But seriously people, the lore of this record and its association with Soul Strut is not arguable. Deal with it hatters. The music is pretty good and the record is pretty rare but on top of all that the guy himself joined SS to talk about his record. How can you guys hate? dang.

The Now Again box set repress is fuckin awesome too.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

YES!
    No.

A rap list--any specialized list, really--would be mostly perpendicular to the mongrel nature of this site (to the extent that it still has a nature). The possibility of folks arguing the relative merits of What's Going On versus fucking Black Moon or whatever at least has a wild-card element to it, and is maybe something you can't get just anywhere. A hundred pages of dueling rap orthodoxies woud be something far more common and have far less bounce.

Plus, as I said at some point during this current taste glacier's excruciatingly long walk home, a list of a hundred records is a lot, even for an all-genre list. A list of a hundred rap records--or a hundred disco records, or a hundred reggae records, or a hundred liturgical trap records, or whatever-- is simply not gonna require the kind of choices that will tell you anything about the records or the people who picked them.

I know there's an upper crust of folks to whom this does not apply, but I promise you that a vast majority of soulstrut members haven't listened to a hundred rap records total. If this list goes down, dudes are gonna be scraping the sides--in the words of that one rap record--in a major way. You're gonna be seeing Flipmode records and shit.

Y'all only think you want this.

^^^Doesn't want his rampant affection for Rampage the Last Boy Scout to be revealed.^^^

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

YES!
    No.

A rap list--any specialized list, really--would be mostly perpendicular to the mongrel nature of this site (to the extent that it still has a nature). The possibility of folks arguing the relative merits of What's Going On versus fucking Black Moon or whatever at least has a wild-card element to it, and is maybe something you can't get just anywhere. A hundred pages of dueling rap orthodoxies woud be something far more common and have far less bounce.

Plus, as I said at some point during this current taste glacier's excruciatingly long walk home, a list of a hundred records is a lot, even for an all-genre list. A list of a hundred rap records--or a hundred disco records, or a hundred reggae records, or a hundred liturgical trap records, or whatever-- is simply not gonna require the kind of choices that will tell you anything about the records or the people who picked them.

I know there's an upper crust of folks to whom this does not apply, but I promise you that a vast majority of soulstrut members haven't listened to a hundred rap records total. If this list goes down, dudes are gonna be scraping the sides--in the words of that one rap record--in a major way. You're gonna be seeing Flipmode records and shit.

Y'all only think you want this.

lol - Perhaps you're right.
    After Harvey endorsed it, I realized there would only be about five people on the Board who would want to contribute to or care about this.
    And it is almost guaranteed that it would turn into a Rap is Dead geritol swap/Old School cheerleaders squad meet

I'd only want people who would include Ridin Dirty to be involved, so...yep, Scoutmaster James is probably right.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    How about 100 greatest singles, any genre, any format?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    100 (or 50) best cover versions

Wasnt there a recent Top 50 whatever mind garden list that barely made 2 pages?

And yall talmbout 100 after this last list?

sheet

• i can't help but think that many basic albums that should have been on the list did not make it but all in all it's a fairly good reflection of the cross-section of tastes on the board. I am not sure another list would even be worth it considering there are currently only about 20-30 active members.

DOPE

• batmon said:

DOPE

I think we can all agree that 5 ft accelerator, or whatever is name is, isn't the greatest thing about Black Moon,