True Detective

Comments

• Episode 4 was amazing.

Jameson.

And the last shot....

"...the sequence everyone saw in the episode is, in fact, a true single take and one of the great achievements of filmmaking for television..."

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1722001/true-detective-long-take.jhtml

• you know what would never happen?

in 1995 at a Louisiana strip club?

BDP, Illegal Business. that's what.

never. ever.

as i watched an otherwise good episode this kept bothering me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    you know what would never happen?

in 1995 at a Louisiana strip club?

BDP, Illegal Business. that's what.

never. ever.

as i watched an otherwise good episode this kept bothering me.

I keep hearing people griping about this. I dunno, I could see it. Certainly not as the norm, but there was more than one type of deejay back then. It wasn't until the Lil Jon-era that strip club deejays then had the exact prescribed music to play. Plus, if NOLA deejays were hip to an obscure Showboys instrumental, why wouldn't they also be up on BDP? And furthermore, I remember Jess Mowry writing Illegal Business in as a major influence on his 90's-era West Okaland backdrop to Six Out Seven. I know we now laugh at what KRS has become, but before any of that, BDP was hard core.

• since we were both dj-ing in 1995 we can bicker about its accuracy all day and it'll go nowhere. i see your point. in this case i think pizzolato picked it just because it's called 'illegal business' and because it's so literal a choice based on the title, it's disappointing on another level too.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    since we were both dj-ing in 1995 we can bicker about its accuracy all day and it'll go nowhere. i see your point. in this case i think pizzolato picked it just because it's called 'illegal business' and because it's so literal a choice based on the title, it's disappointing on another level too.

You are right though in that it's definitely weirder than it is acceptable.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Episode 4 was amazing.

Jameson.

And the last shot....

"...the sequence everyone saw in the episode is, in fact, a true single take and one of the great achievements of filmmaking for television..."

They were doing some Touch of Evil stuff with that shot

• motown67 said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Episode 4 was amazing.

Jameson.

And the last shot....

They were doing some Touch of Evil stuff with that shot

sure but this long take was twice as long.

pretty epic.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    WOW is all I can say.

• yeah that shot...True Detective raised the bar for television last night.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    since we were both dj-ing in 1995 we can bicker about its accuracy all day and it'll go nowhere. i see your point. in this case i think pizzolato picked it just because it's called 'illegal business' and because it's so literal a choice based on the title, it's disappointing on another level too.

this was an amazing episode of television and i didn't once think to complain about her elbows.

• thrope said:
    AKallDay said:

this was an amazing episode of television and i didn't once think to complain about her elbows.

It was amazing but I said the same thing. "Hold up...hold up...hold up... *pauses show*... No way they'd be stripping to BDP, much less that song!!" (Then my lady chimed in "And when was the last time you saw 20 strippers on stage at once?!?!")

Again, SUPERB episode but when it's music- and especially Hip Hop-related, I can't help but to notice and make note of it if it's out of place.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Herm said:

It was amazing but I said the same thing. "Hold up...hold up...hold up... *pauses show*... No way they'd be stripping to BDP, much less that song!!" (Then my lady chimed in "And when was the last time you saw 20 strippers on stage at once?!?!")

Been like two months (at the Chicago-area Polekatz)! Not to KRS though. I think, if ever there was a study done on this - and I might be willing to take part - that tit club music choices in TV, even in shows/movies that straddle realism, that the music is of a mind-garden-classics nature, and I'm OK with that. Although, a truer and well-worn choice, such as the Crue's "Girls Girls Girls" still would manage to capture the je ne sais quoi.

• I think y'all need to view the music as accompanying the episode, not as ambient music actually playing in the scene.

you'll recall that the Wire had no non-ambient music, which was pretty unique and awesome.

but this show is different. and while the music is actually playing in the scene, I have no trouble kind of divorcing it in my mind from what's actually happening on screen; like, it was sort of a soundtrack to me, a musical overlay that happened to be piped directly into the scene.

(my homie works with T Bone Burnett on this show and I have registered the Strut's complaint via FB PM; we'll see what he says....)

• rootlesscosmo said:
    I think y'all need to view the music as accompanying the episode, not as ambient music actually playing in the scene.

you'll recall that the Wire had no non-ambient music, which was pretty unique and awesome.

but this show is different. and while the music is actually playing in the scene, I have no trouble kind of divorcing it in my mind from what's actually happening on screen; like, it was sort of a soundtrack to me, a musical overlay that happened to be piped directly into the scene.

(my homie works with T Bone Burnett on this show and I have registered the Strut's complaint via FB PM; we'll see what he says....)

The Wire had some early scenes where the corner boys were bumpin' some backpack rap, no? Then as the series went on the music became more (I'm cringing as I type this) "'hood appropriate." (Now I feel dirty.)

Also, I believe there were ladies stripping to "Tell Me Something Good" at one point, and not UGK neither. I've never been to a Baltimore strip club though, so maybe they do get down like that.

My point is...years from now this BDP scene will not at all tarnish my opinion of the series, but I will still have a vague memory stuck in my mind like "you know you fucked up, right? Nah, I'm sayin'...you know you fucked up, right?"

• that episode was a sea change for cable television. you could literally FEEL it pulling away from everything else on tv and not even glance in the rearview.

b/w nic pizzolatto as the bartender at the strip club.

• the crystals at the copa = wu tang at the trap house

• Not just this- sometimes songs get picked because they can be licensed on budget. "We've got $1500 for the strip club song. I can get KRS One for that."
    "Done. What's the next difficult decision?"

What a fucking show, I just want more. We're about to see Rust's tattoo... Freaky shit.

I just re-watched the last episode on demand and it was even more mind blowing. I just enjoyed all the little bits in the show. McConaughey telling the prisoner that he probably got his ex-wife killed, McConaughey poking himself with the needle and getting all drugged up to get ready for the undercover job, Harrelson getting all nervous and going into the biker club and even trying to go into the back which could have backfired and blown everything. Of course the climax was the projects scene which you just knew was going to go bad, but you didn't know how.

....AND the time at the bar. "This is a bar not a fucking bedside."

• Something I just caught...

Episode 4 features Grinderman's "Honey Bee (Let's Fly To Mars)" (end credits) and, as mentioned above, Wu-Tang's "Clan In The Front" which samples...

• I've rewatched this last episode about 5 times now. Holy shit that last scene was too much. The wu joint fit the mood perfectly.

That BDP joint was a bit out of place but the lyrics they edited in where obvious. it was, you know, foreshadowing or whatever

I'm probably going to get this line wrong but this was my fav from the last episode.

"With all that dick swag you couldn't smell crazy pussy?"

I laughed out loud at that shit.

• someone please: what is the last line of the episode? That Rust says to Ginger in the car before pistol whipping him?

I rewound it like 4 times and couldn't make it out.

something about "talking like a man...."

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    someone please: what is the last line of the episode? That Rust says to Ginger in the car before pistol whipping him?

I rewound it like 4 times and couldn't make it out.

something about "talking like a man...."

"Goddamn... I'm so done talking to you like a man."

I'm pretty sure.

• that was my best guess also.

• Last scene reminded me of the Children of Men car scene which also was done in one shot and also gave me a heart attack

• edith head said:
    Last scene reminded me of the Children of Men car scene which also was done in one shot and also gave me a heart attack

that was exactly what i compared it to, only it was better.

i also may have muttered something about "werckmeister harmonies", but the company i was with didn't go in for such snobbery.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    edith head said:
    Last scene reminded me of the Children of Men car scene which also was done in one shot and also gave me a heart attack

Good call. I love that movie...

• vintageinfants said:
    edith head said:

i also may have muttered something about "werckmeister harmonies", but the company i was with didn't go in for such snobbery.

I was in that company, well, via the magic of FB. I was like *nods and smiles*.

I need to watch Sin Nombre again. I love that movie but for the life of me cannot remember the one-shot.

• Herm said:
    vintageinfants said:
    edith head said:

I was in that company, well, via the magic of FB. I was like *nods and smiles*.

I need to watch Sin Nombre again. I love that movie but for the life of me cannot remember the one-shot.

i tested it on them and got nothing back, so i did the next logical thing.... reached out to the internets for validation.

the movie isn't even good, it just has an insane one-er.