True Detective

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I don't know, staxwax. I'm going to have to take your critique with a grain a salt given that you rode for the Lecter franchise all the way up to and including what I'm assuming is the TV series? So I guess I can't speak to any similarities vis????????vis the antlers. You do have a point in that the series is trafficking worn tropes but I think that's somewhat the point? Know the rules, then maybe break them. It was compelling enough two episodes for me to take the ride, despite the feng shui of Woody's ladies, and I'm a sucker for any noir or cop show that's well done, even if it's not necessarily groundbreaking. Additionally, it seems like they are hinting at McConaughey being the killer but methinks that's red herring.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Not really riding for the lecter franchise at all- although I have seen the movies, silence of the lambs being the best one imo, I read red dragon, and watched the tv show - the show is not bad - but the antler / stag visuals were very prominent in Hannibal and for that to be repeated so shortly afterwards in another 'dark' serial killer manhunt tv show is more than highly unoriginal imo. shows like this need a certain amount of fresh angles and concepts to keep them interesting in the context of all that came before. im missing that in true detective.

• staxwax said:
    hooooooooooooooooooooold up

i really wanted to enjoy this show but ive been cringing along here. watching this is like wading through a minefield of stereotypical corn

tell me - the whole two tough cops in a morally ambiguous wasteland -- theres no black and white - just. shades. of. grey.... schtick isnt really something we need to sit through again - is it ?

then theres the whole the south is a durty trailerpark with little meth head pre teen whores all over it patrolled by leering corrupt cops and wacked out priests steez - is that really as played out a cliche as it strikes me as being ? isnt that just really tired and offensive by now?

then there's the annoying resemblance to the antler killings in hannibal - too much of a similarity to let slide imo - with some blair witchy craft shit thrown in for good measure

then there's mccoanahyey in those interrogation scenes with the two black dts, he's drawling, sucking on cigarettes, glazing over - overacting and tapping way too hard into some potpourri of corn i can hardly bear it

oh but wait - mconahugh is really tapping into some deep shit here - play the dead daughter card. glaze over. say something dark and existential. repeat. really? yes really, flash forward 17 years and hes still doing it. is this supposed to give depth to the cookie cutter character - the haunted profiler - nah man. pass

there were some lines and scenes that were copypasted too. like woody turning away from the murder scene and telling his partner - btw my wife wants you to come over for dinner - isnt that a scene straight out of colors?

i havent entirely given up yet - photography is amazing and its still a fairly entertaining duo to watch but goddamn theyre treading on worn out ground here.

oh i have a sneaking suspicion the big twist will be MM will turn out to have been the killer himself all along. amiwrong?

I'll give you the Hannibal bite.

And I will concur that the bayou/meth/church/corrupt shit is kinda played.

That said, Mac and Woody are acting out of their minds IMO, and the duo together is somehow worth even more than the sum of the parts. And it's shot beautifully. If you see their performances as over the top and the art direction as unoriginal, then yeah I dunno what to tell you; you're just not gonna like this show I guess.

• Chances are that True detective was wrapping by the time that Hannibal show aired. Unfortunate coincidence a la Paul Blart Mall Cop and Observe and Report. Similar ideas that happened to come out around the same time.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,100 Posts
    Watched second ep last night. Keeping in mind that I haven't seen anything in that series other than Silence of the Lambs, I'm really enjoying this. To my comparison with TOTL, they both have incredible acting (although Liz Moss was a bit plain)... but while that had more depth and innovation, TD has a way radder aesthetic.

Like, um,
    DOR said:
    Alexandra Daddario.

:woah: :woah: :woah:

I feel like the killer probably is MM, but then I also want to believe that the creators are trying to make it seem that way to throw us off. So, I kinda also suspect it's the Christian dude who mentioned the religious war in the first ep who is doing a false flag thing.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Episode 3.. great final image! Can't wait till Ep 4.

• cai said:
    Episode 3.. great final image! Can't wait till Ep 4.

Yeah, that was nutty. Looks like the next episode will be action packed. Dude's strut was almost like te Bigfoot footage.

Nice WSJ vid addressing theory that Cohle is a Tyler Durden-type hallucination, which while most likely not true is fun to think about, also h/t to Red Riding minseries and my favorite Fincher flic Zodiac.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/25/is-true-detective-pulling-a-fight-club/

• Zodiac is the best.

• True Detective is good enough that it's almost certainly going to be canceled.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    True Detective good enough that it's almost certainly going to be canceled.

It's HBO they love these types of shows.

True Detective is my new shit. The ending scene of the last episode was crazy and creepy as shit.

• Martin:You know the real difference between you and me?
    Rust:Yup, denial.
    Martin: The difference is that I know the difference between an idea and a fact. You are incapable of admitting doubt. Now that sounds like denial to me.
    Rust: I doubt that.

I am by no means a TV connoisseur but the particular way they weave together the dialog - past, present, untrustworthy narration, hints of "getting their guy," philosophy, etc. - is super interesting and, in IMHO, very well done. The cliffhanger at the end of Episode 3, damn; I know I'll be tuning in come Sunday night.

Anyone know what they John Carpenter-y music was during that part?

I liked the quote at the end:

???To realize that all your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing, it was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams, there???s a monster at the end of it.???

• Just a heads up. It's been sacked for the Super Bowl. Gotta wait another week.

• ketan said:
    I liked the quote at the end:

???To realize that all your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing, it was all the same dream. A dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And like a lot of dreams, there???s a monster at the end of it.???

The Game In The Windowless Room

Of all all the games I???ve ever played
    Of all the hands I???ve dealt
    Of all the pots I???ve ever raked
    From matchsticks
    to nickels
    to untold wealth.
    From the beckoning lights of the Vegas strip
    to the Pittsburgh roadhouse gloom,
    The most dangerous game I played with the man
    In that locked-door windowless room.

His eyes were yellow as the golden crown
    on the King of Diamond???s head;
    His teeth were black
    as the mustached Jack,
    And his mouth was bloody red as the crimson gown on the Queen of Hearts.
    And his hand was marked with the sign
    That???s found on the hand of the Diamond King.
    And he smiled
    As his eyes met mine
    And he said,
    ???What a shame,
    I???ve been watching your game,
    As you fleece these witless fools.
    How would you do,
    At a hand or two?
    My game,
    my stakes,
    my rules.

A sealed room,
    No windows, no phone,
    An unbroken seal on the cards.
    No watches or rings,
    Or jaggedy things
    That can clip or chip or mark
    On a non-metal, clear glass tabletop.
    No mirrors, no overhead lights,
    With foot-thick walls
    and just one door
    that???s locked???from the outside.
    For as long as it takes
    For one man to break
    Be it an hour
    Or a day,
    Would you dare take a seat,
    When there???s no way to cheat????

Well, what could I say?

So in the silent tomb of that sealed room
    We both sat down to play.
    Well, he was no Joker,
    He was an Ace.
    And although I was the King of this pack,
    I knew that the lady would have to smile on me
    If I were to win all his jack.
    So we played for hours;
    Or was it a week?
    I lost all track of time,
    And he won a few,
    And he bluffed a few,
    But the final pot was mine.

???Well, I don???t know quite how you did it,??? he said,
    As I raked in his last buck.
    ???But shaves, or seconds, or a frigid deck,
    It had nothing to do with luck.
    You???re a hustler, a sharp, a mechanic,???
    he said,
    ???Now the real game???s about to start.???
    Here he pulls out his knife,
    And me with just this deck of cards.

???Ain???t it funny to learn
    How the odds can turn,??? said he,
    As he thrusted
    And flicked
    And fanned.
    But I dodged his blade
    And my eight of Spades
    Knocked the knife right out of his hand.
    ???Hell, I???ll beat you to death with my hands,???
    he laughed,
    And he raised a powerful fist;
    But my five of clubs
    Left a bloody stub
    as it sliced his hand off at the wrist.
    Yeah, he screamed,
    And he pulled a gun from his boot,
    ???Last hand and the dealer dies,???
    But my one last card- my Ace of Hearts-
    caught him right between the eyes.

Well, that I might say
    was the game of my life.
    When the police
    did finally arrive,
    They found a windowless room,
    A corpse on the floor,
    The door
    Still locked from the outside.
    And no one there but him and me,
    A classic locked-room mystery.
    But where is the murder weapon?
    They searched, but they can???t find it anywhere.
    Oh where can it be?
    They don???t look at me,
    I???m just playing
    Solitaire.

s. silverstein

• my new favourite show, it sons similiar shows like "the killing" etc

vintageinfants said:

s. silverstein

nice. i've been reading my daughter the giving tree lately.

Controller_7 said:
    Just a heads up. It's been sacked for the Super Bowl. Gotta wait another week.

If you all haven't seen it on TV, here is a preview of the next episode. I was in two minds about watching it but my curiousity won out in the end, especially cause we have to wait twice as long due to the superbowl..

• the last scene wasn't at all creepy to me. just take out the eerie synth.

They already said there was a murder in the present, and they think that they arrested the wrong man 17 years prior. Therefore, they brought both of them in to recount the process of how they arrested the meth dude with the gas mask.

I am just waiting for the twist in one of the final episodes.

From what i have read, this show's cast will change every season with a different storyline to go along with it. I like having things summed up in 8 episodes. Makes it a lot different than a boardwalk empire,the wire, sopranos etc.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    vex on the super bowl

i want true detective

nice to hear all will be resolved by seasons end

• Woody is the killer, Matt is willing to come back because he knows Woody got away with it years ago and thinks he can catch him this time, this show is fucking rad!

The acting, the writing, the everything is great. It is genuinely scary too.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    t-bone brunette
    +
    herzog moves

woody killin' it
    would be insane !

I don't know. Wood's character is so bad even at concealing a casual marital affair and he's somehow a ritual killer on the side, too? I don't think he's that smart. Part of the bureaucratic cover-up in that little politically tied religious school that allows such freaks to do their thing with minimal recource? That, I'd buy.

If you look at the very first scene of episode one, when they show the cane field burning there are TWO silhouettes sneaking away together.

• Rewatching episode 1. Some shots that got some attention, but don't know if they mean anything:

The billboard of the young girl that said "who killed me?" Rust looks at it as they're driving and is first mentioning his daughter's birthday. That's not his daughter though.

When they go to the church to ask about the Fontenot girl, there's a kind of long shot of a cross and it seems to be focusing on the ropes tying it together. Like the binds are important.

Also, is the Fontenot girl important or just a distraction detail?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The ropes in the cross led to the questions about the twig sculptures and the info about their meaning

• i went to go look for some of the writer's [nic pizzolato] other works and found this:

absolutely phenomenal and written in an almost identical vein; complete with dead beat cops, degenerate drug addicts and other scum and villainy, i'd highly suggest it for anyone who's really into the show. "true dick heads"?