R. Kelly court docs

rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
edited January 2014 in Strut Central
Has this been posted/discussed on here? Apologies if it has.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/12/read_the_stomac.php

I feel like the artistic value / shitbag personal behavior debate (let's call it the Ike Turner Debate) has been had on here ad nauseum; not really trying to resurrect it.

the reason I post is that I never really took the Kells allegations all *that* serious; I always kind of had this vague notion of Kells pissing on a chick and marrying an underage Aliyah. But beyond that I never (shamefully?) really dug around for the actual details of his exploits (which are pretty foul). It was kind of snicker-worthy, but not exactly cringe-worthy to me. So this stuff is new to me; anyone else? Do the details contained in these documents change anything for you?

Anyway, I post for posterity. Enjoy.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I am currently 33 years old and in 5 months I will be turning 34. For awhile I have been ignoring the fact that R.Kelly be on some foul shit, but I can no longer ignore the truth in front of me. I am afraid of what the Black Panties have in store for me, it has it's ups and downs so far but for the most part it bums me out.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    That was horrifying.

• Can you name a single musician who made popular music that many people refuse to listen to because of the musician's misdeeds? I would guess that from a percentage basis, R Kelly and Michael Jackson did not lose out on many sales due to their alleged sexual misconduct, which if true, is pretty awful. I think pedophilia is regarded as bad or worse as murder by many people.

My guess would be that the Dixie Chicks probably suffered much harsher financial consequences as a result of unpopular political views among their fan base.

• DB_Cooper said:
    That was horrifying.

i don't have time to read this, can somebody excerpt the worst stuff?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Welcome back.

Jose Feliciano claims his career as a pop singer was destroyed when he sang a controversial version of Star Spangled Banner.

Wagner.

Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry both suffered commercial set backs because of their misdeeds.

Eartha Kitt was banned from tv and radio by LBJ for stating her political views to Lady Bird.

I think you hit it on the head. Talk politics and it may hurt your career.
    Beat women, engage in underage sex, not so much.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Victor Jara

• crabmongerfunk said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    That was horrifying.

i don't have time to read this, can somebody excerpt the worst stuff?

just a lot of (alleged) sex with 15-yr old girls, over many years.

dude used to hang out outside his old high school and pick up freshmen and sophomores, trading on his fame and influence to con them into sex.

the musical director (his "2nd mother") appears to have been a classic enabler/accomplice: denying his proclivities to the end, making up pseudo-religious bullshit to obscure it, turning a blind eye to his trolling for girls in her own damn class, and ultimately blaming the victims by asserting that it "takes two to tango."

that's "two" meaning a grown man and a child I guess.

• LaserWolf said:

Wagner.

yeah his soundscan numbers really took a hit.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Fucking Batmon smh........Bitch get off the dick already smh

• LaserWolf said:
    Welcome back.

Jose Feliciano claims his career as a pop singer was destroyed when he sang a controversial version of Star Spangled Banner.

Wagner.

Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry both suffered commercial set backs because of their misdeeds.

Eartha Kitt was banned from tv and radio by LBJ for stating her political views to Lady Bird.

I don't know if we can draw the line at politics, but I also can't think of any athlete or entertainer who has helped himself/herself by being political.

It also seems to me that if you deny the allegations (no matter how much proof is against you), and you are a major star athlete or entertainer, a large portion of your fan base may stick with you. There are plenty of OJ deniers out there and he was a retired star athlete. I think Lance Armstrong had a huge fan base that was willfully blind to the proof of his doping until he admitted it I have no idea if Kobe is guilty of rape, but the thought never crosses my mind when I cheer him on because he denied it (and I am a huge fan).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    excerpt the worst stuff?

"The saddest fact I've learned is: Nobody matters less to our society than young black women. Nobody. They have any complaint about the way they are treated: They are "bitches, hos, and gold-diggers," plain and simple. Kelly never misbehaved with a single white girl who sued him or that we know of. Mark Anthony Neal, the African-American scholar, makes this point : one white girl in Winnetka and the story would have been different.

No, it was young black girls and all of them settled. They settled because they felt they could get no justice whatsoever. They didn't have a chance.
    "

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts

What about the singer from lost prophets or non prophets or whatever they were called. I'd say his career is done?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bassie said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    excerpt the worst stuff?

"The saddest fact I've learned is: Nobody matters less to our society than young black women. Nobody. They have any complaint about the way they are treated: They are "bitches, hos, and gold-diggers," plain and simple. Kelly never misbehaved with a single white girl who sued him or that we know of. Mark Anthony Neal, the African-American scholar, makes this point : one white girl in Winnetka and the story would have been different.

No, it was young black girls and all of them settled. They settled because they felt they could get no justice whatsoever. They didn't have a chance.
    "

Hey Bassie,

Yes, that was the absolute saddest part for me too. This type of crap has been swept under the rug in families for generations. Perhaps, one day, such abuses of Black women (and all women, for that matter) will be addressed properly; however, I must admit that I think there would have been far more outrage if the victims' races-ethnicities were non-minority (though socioeconomic status probably played a part as well). I know will take exception with this statement, but I think history supports me on this one.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• cai said:

What about the singer from lost prophets or non prophets or whatever they were called. I'd say his career is done?

i don't even believe in the death penalty as a legal end yet I secretly want this guy to get aced in the clink.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    some percentage of fans are liking Kelly's music because they know.

• LaserWolf said:
    Victor Jara

Wait, what?

Complete and total non sequitur.

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    It's basically a catch-22 if you listen and like R.Kelly's music anymore.

I am not going to deny that the dude has made some songs that I like. But there is also that lingering notion that this guy is foul as fuck.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    cai said:

i don't even believe in the death penalty as a legal end yet I secretly want this guy to get aced in the clink.

Curiosity got the best of me on this one and I'm sorry that it did. I just lost my appetite reading about Ian Watkins.

• Electrode said:
    vintageinfants said:
    cai said:

Curiosity got the best of me on this one and I'm sorry that it did. I just lost my appetite reading about Ian Watkins.

same.

Ian Watkins is an abomination. But why they gotta call him a Welsh musician? What, Britain's cool with owning the place, but when something appaling happens, it's all, nah, he's Welsh? I'm only semi-joking here.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    1/8 of you is asshurt?

;)

J i m s t e r said:
    1/8 of you is asshurt?

;)

You know it, doggie! That dude is the lowest of the low, though. I find it hard to comprehend that level of depravity.

• DB_Cooper said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    1/8 of you is asshurt?

;)

You know it, doggie! That dude is the lowest of the low, though. I find it hard to comprehend that level of depravity.

his defense was that he was doing it, and i quote, "for the MEGA LOLZ".

that is a strong argument for just unplugging the internet and starting again.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

his defense was that he was doing it, and i quote, "for the MEGA LOLZ".

that is a strong argument for just unplugging the internet and starting again.

LOLZ

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Here's that Top of the POSP chart, current standings

1. Welsh LostProphet dude
    =2. Glitter, Kelly
    4. Jackson
    5. Every tousle-maned 70s rock god, ever, probably
    =6. Jerry Lee, Bill Wyman

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yer, I imagine most of the acts that we venerate from the 60s and 70s who fucked around with groupies would be arrested and possibly put in jail for underage sex if it where today. Can't imagine what 'we're' doing these days that will become unacceptable / unthinkable in 40 years times.

• Okem said:
    Yer, I imagine most of the acts that we venerate from the 60s and 70s who fucked around with groupies would be arrested and possibly put in jail for underage sex if it where today. Can't imagine what 'we're' doing these days that will become unacceptable / unthinkable in 40 years times.

EDM

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Wasn't the founder of a certain unfavourable-in-the-West religion married to a what-we-now-deem-illegally-aged bride?

And then there's the Mutiny On The Bounty palaver:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004

"Things were different then."-R

That makes it OK, then. :|

skel said:

• DB_Cooper said:
    skel said:

Roger Clemens issues statement about the suicide of Mindy McReady