DJ Spooky - turdmeister? (copyright-R)

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• Sad that even labels like Ninja Tune can't act properly when things like this come to light. I don't expect labels to magically know when their artists are stealing like this - but I do expect them to deal with it if they find out.

• frankly, i am surprised ninjatunes is still around. what possible relevance can they have in 2014?

b/w

wasn't about 90% of that label's output just straight up 2 and 4-bar loops jacked from jazz funk classixs?

• I don't fux wit da facebooks. Can someone readers digest this for me. Can't see it without a login.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    It's a video with a UK grime producer demonstrating how Spooky straight jacked 32 bars from one of his records. He says he's got nothing against people sampling his work creatively, as it's happened before, but this is just plain lazy next level shit. Listening to the audio, it's an open-and-shut case. Spooky has had the nerve to respond to it with

Ninja Tune have stopped selling the physical product, but apparently you can still get hold of the nefarious Spooky track on itunes.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Next level cuntishness ^^^^^^^^

b/w

PISSTAKE, BRUV!

Pwoppa Nawty!

• Is it an old spooky song or does he still make music? Nothing has ever caught my ear enough to warrant a real listen.

I'm digging this;

"F*cking"

Followed by

"Fuck off."

• Major LOL at Spooky in Twitter tough guy mode.

b/w

For some reason I was looking at the history of his Wiki page a couple years ago and noticed that he had been banned from editing it after he had made over 200 changes.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i'd love to have a few rounds with that posing cunt paul miller at our gym
    gloves or not
    i don't think he would have much fun

ps
    scanner is 10 times the unassuming creative force spookunt wishes he ever was

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This spooky guy sat next to me on a plane some 12 years ago or so and what expired might have been the most uninspiring conversation I've ever had with any random person and this includes dentists or grocers. I think I even had interactions with toll booth operators that were more memorable. He gave me some flyer and I looked up some of his muzak... what a waste of time and space.

WTF? I'd very much like to alter the thread title, but fear I'd just get the thread deleted.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    got real lucky with selling the "black dj quoting Deleuze" schtick to clueless art institutions.

:liljohn:

• Duderonomy said:

WTF? I'd very much like to alter the thread title, but fear I'd just get the thread deleted.

this would make me want to fly across the world to punch him in the face.

• The only shocking thing to me in this thread is that labels are still putting out DJ Spooky records. Dude is such a hack.

I remember hearing a couple of his "mix" cds in the 90s -- one was just noise from start to finish. The other he just put effects in between the songs since he apparently couldn't actually mix them.

• that is pretty funny to see him get gee up in the tweets. thought he was too busy giving semiotics lectures at Rutgers and yessaing art museum boards.

was going to troll him but why bother.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    The "Come to NY" bit is hilarious. If you really kept it like that, you wouldn't need to invoke New York to make a threat. Nevermind that much of the NY he's referencing is populated by wealthy folks who couldn't fight their way out of the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese.

• DB_Cooper said:
    The "Come to NY" bit is hilarious. If you really kept it like that, you wouldn't need to invoke New York to make a threat. Nevermind that much of the NY he's referencing is populated by wealthy folks who couldn't fight their way out of the ball pit at Chuck E Cheese.

"come to NY"----> absconds to south korea

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ Spooky just may be the worst "African" deejay/producer in history.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Frank said:
    This spooky guy sat next to me on a plane some 12 years ago or so and what expired might have been the most uninspiring conversation I've ever had with any random person and this includes dentists or grocers. I think I even had interactions with toll booth operators that were more memorable. He gave me some flyer and I looked up some of his muzak... what a waste of time and space.

I saw him once give a commencement speech to an MFA program. The dude attempted to drop some heady art speak and failed, big time. A big time poser and I am surprised it has taken this long to call him out.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    DJ Spooky just may be the worst "African" deejay/producer in history.

Don't forget writing, because he's terrible at that, too!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Seriously though, how can anyone jack a song in 2013 and not expect it to get back to them at some point.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    1999 Me would love to see this. Vindication! I always felt DJ Spooky was wack. Never bought any of it. Even when the smoke from the downtempo blazes blacked out the sun, I wasn't having any of it.

Things I'm proud to have avoided all my life:
    chain wallets
    DJ Spooky
    mountain bike bar ends

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The dude's an utter fucking charlatan, and always has been. He's really showing his arse over this.

So who was his demographic when he had more heat on him?
    Who repped him to get him his status?
    I recall inteviews in Muzik magazine BITD, and one friend speaking of him, but I never got submerged.

What's his claim to fame?

Dude has come to a couple of our art openings here at the Center.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    His collaborations probably speak to some overlaps in fans but if I think of the folks around here who were fans then, they seem to be of the Flying Lotus ilk now.

edit - "round here" being Toronto, not the Board.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Yeah I should've been a fan. On paper, I think he fit in with the double LP of boring instrumental hiphop with occasional guest emcees--surely somewhere between superscientifical and futuristic retro boombap-meets-amenbreakz. I remember thinking maybe he had some drum'n'bass angle. Maybe? Definitely appealed to the hiphop historians who do not party.

• I seem to recall (but don't know for sure) that dude had some connection to the art scene (a well-connected girlfriend, maybe?) that catapulted him. He seemed to be the go-to talking head / dj when art scene folks wanted someone to over intellectualize djing and dj culture in the mid 90s.

For example: http://creativetime.org/projects/lincoln-center-out-of-doors-dj-spooky/

I think some impressionable folks saw how that world embraced him and were tricked into believing he actually had something to offer. I remember stoner heads at college were kind of into him. He's probably ridden that wave since and managed to stay afloat...seems shocking as every release / production / mix I have heard has been so terrible (although it's been years since I heard him). Not to mention his live show which I have not seen myself but have heard is him just playing weird sound effects between really bad songs.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I just always assumed he was British.

dukeofdelridge said:
    Yeah I should've been a fan. On paper, I think he fit in with the double LP of boring instrumental hiphop with occasional guest emcees--surely somewhere between superscientifical and futuristic retro boombap-meets-amenbreakz. I remember thinking maybe he had some drum'n'bass angle. Maybe? Definitely appealed to the hiphop historians who do not party.

I dont think he was "Blazing Downtempo" at all.

I thought he was doing way more experimental shit.

Yeah theres overlap, but I never thought he was AIM or some shit.