The Repeating Runout Groove

Saucy TweenbalSaucy Tweenbal 45 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Ok, so I don't know how to disable my auto-return, but I do know how to re-enable it after I accidentally disable it (I actually find the runout groove to be very soothing). And now I'm back in repeating heaven.

What records do you know of that have a repeating runout groove?

Everyone knows about Sgt. Pepper. I've heard of the repeating faucet drip on Atom Heart Mother and the repeating quack noise on Piper at The Gates of dawn (none of my pressings have the repeating groove doe).

Please share thine knowledge.

Comments

• Or I guess 'closeout groove' would be the real term? Either way...

Edit: Ahh 'Locked Groove'. Hey now

• And theres side 4 of eagles live with repeating audience cheer and applause

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    The only one I can think of right now is Shawn Phillips' Rumplestiltskin's Resolve.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Touch-Seventy Five
    Planet Patrol-Play At Your Own Risk 12".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Its a Demo Its a Demo Its a Demo Its a Demo Its a Demo Its a Demo Its a Demo

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    James Gang - yer' album

"turn me over"

"play me again"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    David Bromberg "Debbie Boone Debbie Boone..."

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I have some library records that just have a tone. I'm assuming to get your attention to remove the needle!

• The real term is locked groove.

Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth put out a solo record called "From Here To Infinity" with a dozen or so locked groove tracks on it. You decide if that's cool or a crime against society.

Then there's this thing:

Various 500 Lock Grooves by 500 Artists LP RRRecords RRR-500 1999

When was the last time you bought a compilation with 500 tracks by 500 artists? Never right? You can now. This LP features just that ... 500 locked groove tracks, 250 per side. You drop the needle where you want, listen to the locked groove until you're sick of it, then drop the needle somewhere else. It's a pain in the ass but it's fun too. Some of the more familiar names among the 500 artists: Aube, Zoviet France, Otomo Yoshide, Terry Riley, Project Dark, the Haters, Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore, Masonna, People Like Us, Sonic Youth, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc. This is the first time I've reviewed something without actually listening to it all beforehand ... but do you know how long it's going to take to hear all of these tracks? Quite a long time. Someday when I have a lot of free time on my hands I'll sit down and do it and maybe tape them off. Anyways, I dropped the needle randomly several dozen times on both sides for this write-up. What I heard were short (a few seconds apiece) found sound style loops of just about everything you can imagine: whirs, clicks, whistles, buzzes, drones, clankings, bangings, scrapings, industrial noises, electronics, drums/percussion, dialogue bits and undescribeable samples and collages. A lot of really interesting sounds here ... quite a few you can leave repeating for a good length of time. The records comes in a neatly designed b/w double gatefold sleeve with the full list of artists on the inside that comes in a clear bubblewrap sleeve. This is one of those items you own just because it's unique and cool and don't necessarily spin all that often. Art, for cheap, at around $10 ...

http://brainwashed.com/weddle/reviews/grooves.html

• ^ I've read about that. It def sounds interesting. Thanks to all so far

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The Minutemen "Double Nickels On The Dime" has locked grooves of a motor revving at the end of all four sides.

• The OG of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music ends in a locked groove. (As do some of the reissues.)

Reed said the piece was designed to play as a continuous loop and the locked groove was meant to suggest this. And that the 8 track version functioned that way.

• Wayne Cochran's "Alive and Well and Living.....in a Bitch of a World" ends with locked groove of a Harley Davidson revving. Motorcycle-concept-album-related.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    if you're really bored there's a technique to record your own voice in the run out groove

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Finding a record someone had done that to would be even more annoying than finding someone's name written on the cover.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Pretty sure Bowie's Diamond Dogs closes out on a lock-groove.

Jeff Mills' Cycle 30 EP from 1994 changed the direction of techno in that following its release, pretty much any techno producer/artist of note began messing with lock-groove releases.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Heaven 17 - Pavement and Penthouse

The last track on the original vinyl LP release, "We're Going to Live for a Very Long Time", was recorded up to and onto the runoff groove; meaning the run time of this track (as labelled on the LP sleeve) and the album is infinite, looping the line "For a very long time".

• tabira said:
    if you're really bored there's a technique to record your own voice in the run out groove

Yes? Go on... Haha

I'm giving some albums to a friend of mine in the very near future and would love to fuck with him.

Also, DocMcCoy, it's funny you mention Diamond Dogs cause I just listened to that last night (for the first time at that). But, no locked groove on mine. And it was ACTUALLY probably the first closeout groove I found to be somewhat annoying to listen to.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    End of side 3 (?) of The Isolationist LP by DJ Vadim /Primecuts has a lock-groove "Some people are deaf and don't know it".

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Side One of Lenny White's Venusian Summer has a distant and endless fusion loop in the run-out. It's possible there's also one at the end of Side Two, but I don't know that I've ever made it that far.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Brah, IIRC no-one has been to Venus yet.

Summers are too brutal for a cork asian.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Saucy Tweenbal said:
    tabira said:

Yes? Go on... Haha

I'm giving some albums to a friend of mine in the very near future and would love to fuck with him.

Well I hope you're not going to do it to a grail or something, but you basically repeat Edisons first recording of sound: get the finest sewing needle you can find. Make a large cone of paper with a wide opening and very fine point. tape the needle to the inside of the point so that it protrudes like a stylus, run it in the groove and shout the bejeezus down the cone. Play back at 10 and if lucky you will hear your own voice very faintly like some crackly old recording. I tried three or four times before it worked. I have since found a day job, got married and started a family.

• Hahah. Great, thanks.