'The Problem' Solved-Where My Boxing Fans At?

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Hey,

Finally, Adrien Broner got his skirt lifted, with his overrated, shit-talking ass. He is NO Floyd 'Money' Mayweather, not even fucking close. He got a harsh welcome to world-class boxing last night. Marcos Maidana, simply put, got in that ass. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• it was crazy from start to finish

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey VeeEight,

Yes, it was a crazy fight. Broner has some serious work to do to rise to world class status. This includes:

1. Train regularly (i.e., don't get fat between fights):
    -Mayweather (his mentor and who he 'wanna be') works out year round. Instead of imitating his swagger, imitate his discipline and work ethic. Hard work, dedication!!!

2. Work on footwork:
    -I was surprised by how he was unable to elude Maidana's attacks with movement. Any top-notch, boxer/puncher knows you step around guys like Maidana who attack in a straight line. Movement keeps those come forward, 'Frankenstein types' (footwork-wise) off set to punch effectively. It also makes it easier to counterpunch them.

3. Learn how to counterpunch:
    -His inaccuracy last night in counterpunching a guy coming straight at him was downright shameful. With his hand speed, he should've been able to stand in the pocket and trade (while parrying or slipping shots) with Maidana. Instead, he retreated too much which only encouraged Maidana to come forward and bang.

4. Lead with the jab and up the punch count:
    -His lack of training discipline probably accounts for his lack of punch output.

5. Drop the 'Philly Shell' defense.
    -You can't do it dude, leave that to Floyd 'Money May' and James Toney (in his prime). Put your hands up in a traditional fashion.

6. Fire your trainer:
    -Broner's corner was horrible last night. They did not give him any adjustments at all to Maidana's attack. He should've imitated how his mentor (Money May) fought Shane Mosley from Round 3 onward (i.e., come forward and be the attacker to get respect). Sugar Ray Leonard did this similarly well against Thomas 'The Hit Man' Hearns in their first fight in 1981 (great bout, wow!!!). You can't be a world-class fighter with 'bargain-basement' trainers. For example, Maidana has looked fantastic since hiring Robert Garcia.

7. Master the psychology of boxing:
    -The great fighters understand the psychology of boxing. After Round 1, Broner should have came out in Round 2, stood flat-footed, and threw power shots. He needed to establish respect and show that he was not wavering under Maidana's pressure (e.g., those two uppercuts Lennox Lewis hit Mike Tyson with in Round 1 of their fight got Mike in check real quick). Broner never earned Maidana's respect last night. The greats always came back strong either (a) during a round in which they were in trouble (e.g. Sugar Ray Leonard in Round 5 against Marvelous Marvin Hagler), or (b) after a round they were rocked in (e.g., Floyd Mayweather in Round 3 against Sugar Shane Mosley).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• As bad as Broner looked, this also might be a case of 'styles make fights'. Maidana is either super easy to fight, as Alexander showed, or the opponents just cant figure out his plodding, awkward timing (evidenced by the hook that dropped AB and the overhands that Khan took). Either way, I was very surprised since as much as i detest his persona, I thought much of Broner. You listed some fair points, but what seems to me the most glaring disparity between him and PBF is thering IQ. After getting hurt, the last thing he shouldve done is stand in the pocket. He showed heart, and his conditioning between fights has so far been excellent. I just dont think the kid is smart. With the spotty sholder roll, hes a Berto-bust at worst and a Zab Judah at best, as far as his future is looking.

• He's been pushed up weight-class wise too quickly. I think he's getting bad advice. What's the rush?

• I caught up on Broner-Paulie and Pacman-Ortiz this weekend.

Plus I watched the Broner-Maidana run-up hype show on Showtime.

Still have to watch the fight, but I'm not shocked at the outcome.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    all great points... i esp agree with:

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey VeeEight,

2. Work on footwork:
    -I was surprised by how he was unable to elude Maidana's attacks with movement. Any top-notch, boxer/puncher knows you step around guys like Maidana who attack in a straight line. Movement keeps those come forward, 'Frankenstein types' (footwork-wise) off set to punch effectively. It also makes it easier to counterpunch them.

-His inaccuracy last night in counterpunching a guy coming straight at him was downright shameful. With his hand speed, he should've been able to stand in the pocket and trade (while parrying or slipping shots) with Maidana. Instead, he retreated too much which only encouraged Maidana to come forward and bang.

-You can't do it dude, leave that to Floyd 'Money May' and James Toney (in his prime). Put your hands up in a traditional fashion.

6. Fire your trainer:
    -Broner's corner was horrible last night. They did not give him any adjustments at all to Maidana's attack. He should've imitated how his mentor (Money May) fought Shane Mosley from Round 3 onward (i.e., come forward and be the attacker to get respect). Sugar Ray Leonard did this similarly well against Thomas 'The Hit Man' Hearns in their first fight in 1981 (great bout, wow!!!). You can't be a world-class fighter with 'bargain-basement' trainers. For example, Maidana has looked fantastic since hiring Robert Garcia.

he def needs new people around him... even the scouting by his camp sucked, as broner looked completely mystified the first two rounds when all maidana was doing was charging forward and swinging... how he could be so unprepared for a fairly basic offensive strategy is beyond me... i mean, that seems like the type of style it wouldn't be that difficult to find some sparring partners with...

and yes, considering he is only 23, he was flatfooted all night, and looked really awkward backing up... his footwork is poor...

i totally agree that the philly shell does not suit broner and actually prob prohibits him from counterpunching effectively, esp when combined w/ his bad footwork...

i think broner should move down a weight class... he's too swollen up for his frame and can't move well this heavy...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    p_gunn said:
    all great points... i esp agree with:

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey VeeEight,

2. Work on footwork:

6. Fire your trainer:

he def needs new people around him... even the scouting by his camp sucked, as broner looked completely mystified the first two rounds when all maidana was doing was charging forward and swinging... how he could be so unprepared for a fairly basic offensive strategy is beyond me... i mean, that seems like the type of style it wouldn't be that difficult to find some sparring partners with...

and yes, considering he is only 23, he was flatfooted all night, and looked really awkward backing up... his footwork is poor...

i totally agree that the philly shell does not suit broner and actually prob prohibits him from counterpunching effectively, esp when combined w/ his bad footwork...

i think broner should move down a weight class... he's too swollen up for his frame and can't move well this heavy...

Hey P_Gunn,

You might be right, 147 might be too heavy for Broner's frame (he's only 5'6"). In addition, his diet of softbatch competition to date (and I think he drew with Malinaiggi at best versus 'winning') didn't prepare him at all for Maidana. Broner proceeded too quickly without serious challenge on top of the technical flaws in his style that have been highlighted.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Golden Boy will get him back on track to stardom by feeding him Berto and Karass if he stays at 147. It would be better for him to fight at 140 for awhile till he gets better technique wise.

He can't go back now to fighting gatekeepers because himself or Golden Boy pushed him too fast, just like what happened to Berto. He can stay at 140 and fight Matthysse or Garcia if he doesn't move up next year. There is enough good competition at 140 to keep us fans entertained by watching him get his ass kicked.

From what I saw he was not listening or was ignoring his corners advice. He was in panic mode the first time Maidana landed flush in the 1st round. He did well in rounds 4-6 but then got careless for the rest of the fight, and remember this was a fight he called for not his team. That Paulie fight gave him a false sense of confidence to think he can fuck with dudes at 147, there are some killers in that division.

I really think Floyds advice to Broner to drop down to 140 is a way to get the WBA belt that Chino just won. If it's true the WBC ranked Pacman number one then that makes him Floyds mandatory. I heard but did not read that Floyd would vacate the belt instead of fighting Pac. In the end boxing is all politics and business and I truly believe Floyd is looking out for Floyd and not truly being a mentor to Broner.

Just my two cents