Blazing Downtempo Favorites

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Winter and cold dark nights in the car are the best times for this time of shit......Here are some of my favorites of this genre. Lemme hear yalls!

Bonobo "Black Sands"
DJ Krush "Code 4109" mix
Diplo "RJD2 since we last spoke" mix
J-Walk "A night on the rocks"

Not really the biggest Portishead fan...Massive Attack is cool.

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    DJ Day - some of the newer shit
    Mr. Scruff - jazz potato
    Grantby - Timber
    45dip - Lizzie's Balloon
    Zero 7 - assorted shit
    BOC

etc

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    parallax said:
    DJ Day - Land of 1000 Chances for sure
    Mr. Scruff - jazz potato
    Grantby - Timber
    45dip - Lizzie's Balloon
    Zero 7 - assorted shit Haven't listened to them in a minute.
    BOC

etc

• London funk allstars
    The art of war - toys factory
    Sharpshooters
    Krush 4109 ep is dope... Gravity
    Aim
    Sabres of paradise - haunted dancehall
    Land of 1000 chances
    Dj thes one boxset

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    K&D including older Tosca and Peace Orchestra
    4 hero - two pages
    N.O.W.
    Thievery Corporation - sounds from the thievery hifi
    Various sonar kollektiv releases

and as Blazing Uptempo I still like early LTJ Bukem/good looking

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Much obliged if someone would articulate the defining characteristic of BD

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's a mildly derisive term for anything in the trippy/stoned instrumental hip hop mowax electronica with a non 4/4 beat kinda field.

Shit fi good ta blaze to brah.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The K&D sessions top my list

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    if you guys mean instrumental hip-hop to get stoned and play video games to (or borderline hipster caf?? music), DJ Cam's Mad Blunted Jazz is pretty good.

• Recent, SS related downtempo/instrumentals:

leading to a revisit of

and as of last week

As you're probably aware, this is on Piecelock70 (pl70.net). I initially slept on it, but had a listen during their Thanksgiving Sale, and quickly ordered a copy. I think it's still available. Regardless, Thes and Co. have offered it up as a free download even if you don't grab the vinyl. I want "Ponderance" (16:30 minute mark below) as an extended 12" (ayo).

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    if you guys mean instrumental hip-hop to get stoned and play video games to (or borderline hipster caf?? music)....

Your laser beam of truth hurts. I'm sticking with Blazing Downtempo.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Casbah 73 - Strollin
    DJ Raw B - Tattooed Brain (Cello Shots)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Oh, and this jam:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I've been cleaning the house today to this Blazing Downtempo??? release:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Okem said:
    It's a mildly derisive term for anything in the trippy/stoned instrumental hip hop mowax electronica with a non 4/4 beat kinda field.

Very disappointed.
    I'd imagined a nomenclature that captured the hard edged power and angst and passion of Bjork's "Play Dead" and Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" and ithat dentified a sub-genre of similarly raging anthems shot through with futility, laced with extraordinary and melancholy harmonies of the minor melodic hue, flecked with a knowing and sneering resentment of the brutality of modern life...
    But no. It's dubstep for adolescent straggly beard sporting, oversize headphone rocking, beanie toting pimply layabouts to puff some skunk to.
    You fuckers.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    raging anthems shot through with futility, laced with extraordinary and melancholy harmonies of the minor melodic hue, flecked with a knowing and sneering resentment of the brutality of modern life

consider these - btw they wont 'work' on laptop or phone speakers

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Boring Halfsongs.

DB_Cooper said:
    Oh, and this jam:

Early RJD2 is unfuckwitable.

skel said:
    Okem said:

Very disappointed.
    I'd imagined a nomenclature that captured the hard edged power and angst and passion of Bjork's "Play Dead" and Massive Attack's "Unfinished Sympathy" and ithat dentified a sub-genre of similarly raging anthems shot through with futility, laced with extraordinary and melancholy harmonies of the minor melodic hue, flecked with a knowing and sneering resentment of the brutality of modern life...
    But no. It's dubstep for adolescent straggly beard sporting, oversize headphone rocking, beanie toting pimply layabouts to puff some skunk to.
    You fuckers.

I respect that, and

"dubstep for adolescent straggly beard sporting, oversize headphone rocking, beanie toting pimply layabouts to puff some skunk to."

I don't think was as big as it was in Europe. The few that were, I think have a different aesthetic now.....so it doesn't really bother me. For me, Bonobo "Black Sands" for example is a really well-made album. I listen to that type of stuff often in the car when I just want some peace of mind...

• I don't know if I'd consider is "blazing" but its dope as fuck driving music:

I bought this 2LP (A Reminiscent Drive - Mercy Street) back when it first came out, without a clue what it was....conveniently around the same time I tried acid for the first time...lol, oddly enough though I didn't like the album back then, a few years later I began to appreciate it a lot more. I play it quite often now, plus it keeps my 4mth old happy...

• was actually just listening to some blazing latin downtempo, from the ZZK Records camp.

King Coya - Cumbias de Villa Donde. great record.

https://play.spotify.com/artist/0HrREC22dh7WCLLtf5Tewy

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Downtempo....cool...

Blazing is some bullshit

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    More blazing than downtempo...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    some of my favorites BITD were just slowed down hip hop, like this one:

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Some classics listed up in here!

Been feeling this new joint, myself...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    skel said:
    Okem said:

Very disappointed.
    You fuckers.
    Those tracks and that description could be part of the oeuvre. In terms of SoulStrut, which is the only place I've ever really encountered the term, it's derision stems from the hivemind thought that hip hop is the true artform and anything that borrows from it is committing some kind of racial hate crime that typically ends up as 'Boring Halfsongs'. Plus it's a genre mostly created and propagate by brahs, Eurofags (and more recently their South American counterparts) and those who stay awake at night thinking about that prison oreo sandwich they'll end up in if the man finds their stash.

It can be a mix of the extraordinary and melodic that's perfect for switching off from the realities of life, but it can also be a rather sad derivative watered down experience.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

too obvious?

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    the original gaslamp kilers mix on soundincolor back in 2006 covers all the bases

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Zavala gets my vote for current......

Brenk is def worthy to check out.... lots of quality