Blazing Downtempo Favorites

2»

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Downtempo....cool...

Blazing is some bullshit
    Well, lest we forget, the "blazing" part was a soulstrut-originated joke, good-naturedly poking fun at somewhat defensive dudes who used the fully updated hip-hop lingo when describing their bookish and introverted bedroom productions, tryna make 'em sound like Tunnel bangers or something.

Whatever the term may have become since, it was never meant to be serious.

Handstyle sleevenote from one of soulstrut's own, from like 2004:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    james said:
    batmon said:
    Downtempo....cool...

Blazing is some bullshit
    Well, lest we forget, the "blazing" part was a soulstrut-originated joke, good-naturedly poking fun at somewhat defensive dudes who used the fully updated hip-hop lingo when describing their bookish and introverted bedroom productions, tryna make 'em sound like Tunnel bangers or something.

Ahhh...ok. Latte Pas for me.

In my mind, Downtempo isnt Hip Hop Lite.
    I thought Lounge/Space Age Bachelor Pad Music and "Chill"existed before Downtempo came about.
    With Hip Hop, Electronica, Reggae/Dub/ Lounge and all that shit getting put into a blender for the term to lightly cover shit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    james said:
    batmon said:
    Downtempo....cool...

Blazing is some bullshit

Handstyle sleevenote from one of soulstrut's own, from like 2004:

I totally have that D.Castillo jernt filed.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Nightmares on Wax (also on some doth protest too much style with the totally badazz name)

• This very dope Krush / Coldcut mix lived in my car CD changer bitd. Could never decide which disc was better. Still sounding good!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    (also on some doth protest too much style with the totally badazz name)
    I recently came across my 90s-era tape dub of a Ninjatune compilation called--god help me--If You Can't Stand Da Beatz, Git Outta Da Kitchen. Whew--thanks for the warning! All that non-interruptively blazing chain-store drum ambience could have blown out my turtleneck or something!

I was at the time (and remain) quite cornball, but even so, no way could I bring myself to write that shit out, so the label on the tape says "Horribly Named Ninjatune Compilation." Ack.

Hey, remember that little window when moody downtempo dudes tried to hijack the whole reggae/dancehall steez? I'd be at the listening station at the used-cd spot checking out Dub Whatever or So-And-So Soundsystem just on the strength, expecting JA-style knob-twiddle headfuck and/or mesh-tank murderation, only to find drifty keyboard tones over pitched-down remedial "Black Grass" chops. I think I even spent a couple bucks on that One Dove shit after I read an interview where dude called himself "the son of King Tubby."

On the one hand I was pissed, but on the other hand, a couple years later I was happily paying retail for Tricky records, so I guess the joke was on me.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts
    a classic downtempo gem in my opinion...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    james said:
    blown out my turtleneck

Herbaliser 2LP!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Up, Bustle, and Out
    Morcheeba "The Big Calm"