December 2013 Finds

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited December 2013 in Strut Central
Well December has got off to a pretty good start!

Got a call from a local record shop saying he had put together a few boxes of jazzy stuff for me.
Everything was ??2.50

He also had a few non jazz bits in too. These weren???t ??2.50 but still very reasonable!

Got this funky jazz 45 in trade with a mate who found this in a skip!

Today???s record fair was pretty amazing! Three different dealers had some amazing UK jazz records. The two bits I bought were very reasonable. One dealer, who was selling a box for a mate, had stunning stuff, all of the heavyweights were in there but the prices made my eyes bleed!

Finally a very good friend of mine decided to part with some gems from his collection. Been saving up my Paypal cash from my Discogs sales over the last couple of months to fund these.

Finally a record I???ve known of for over 20 years but never dreamed I???d ever own!

Comments

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Wow illmod some heavy pieces in there! Krog and Rendell are high on my want list. Svenska lod ab is insane.

• llmod1 said:

Finally a record I???ve known of for over 20 years but never dreamed I???d ever own!

Did you pay more than $3?

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Perriesthlm said:
    llmod1 said:

Slightly, have I overpaid?

• thats horselmalt?

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    llmod1 said:
    Perriesthlm said:

If you paid more than 20, you shouldn't have.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    toby.d said:
    llmod1 said:
    Perriesthlm said:

If you paid more than 20, you shouldn't have.

If only those crazy Swedes knew at the time!

• KadinkKadink Mainstream hip-hop is losing its street edge 98 Posts
    I'm usually annoyed when I see finds posted here that I already saw on Waxidermy but I [del]figured[/del] hoped these would garner some interest...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Magic City Band - Disco Rhapsody (still sealed)

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• Whoa...some heavy finds to end off the year!

• got this for a song on the way home today. has a few really, cool proto zepplinl tracks.

• Picked up close to 2000 records yesterday. I usually don't mess with craigslist when it comes to vinyl, but I had just sold a toolbox, and spent some time perusing the listings. Also, I'm no dealer, and the last time I picked-up records on CL was over a decade ago, when I bought most of Chapman University's Hip Hop collection for $50. This was a "you gotta take them all" situation. It's all disco/soul/hip-hop from a local NC college station from 76-89, mostly early 80s singles. Apparently, these sat in storage, and we're purchased in a government auction. Don't know if there is anything especially exciting, but I flipped through a number of $15-40 titles. Plenty of filler, but easily worth it for the mid-level boogie, moder, and random rap I skimmed across. I'm hoping there are some local artists/labels.

• I just got another visit from the Zam-Rock fairy

Untitled by jaundor, on Flickr

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What are those? 70s African psych?

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    billbradley said:

I was only familiar with the version of the song below. Thanks for posting the find.

(I had no idea it had been used in GTA).

• Lazer, yes Paul Ngozi was more or less the epicenter of Zambian psych rock in the 70s. These are late 70s/early 80s releases that are not as "psych-ey", but still rock pretty hard. I have some doubles that are not pictured. They are in amazing condition compare to how you find most records down there.

The Amha and Kaifa releases are from Ethiopia. One is Hailu Mergia, one is prod. by Mulatu and the other is this badass chick I've never heard of before.

• Sweet Zamrock finds/PM'd!

Gibbo said:
    billbradley said:

I was only familiar with the version of the song below. Thanks for posting the find.

(I had no idea it had been used in GTA).

It's an Earth Wind and Fire track.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Thanks for the heads up. Shamefully I'm only up on a few of E,W&F's hits and have never really given their albums much of a listen.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    billbradley said:
    It's an Earth Wind and Fire a Creative Source track.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    billbradley said:

james said:
    billbradley said:

Thanks for the clarification.

• HOLLAFAME said:
    I just got another visit from the Zam-Rock fairy

That's a pretty crazy find no matter how you came up on these!

Congrats!

• Merry Christmas, Strut! My record digging has been out of commission thanks to a long business trip before Thanksgiving and the birth of my son on Dec. 6. Felt good to get back in the game Sunday when I checked out a dude's private collection...best I've ever seen and I'm gonna have to go back for more.

I'm very pleased to have scored two SS top 10 albums in one shot! I've been familiar with Cymande's music (thanks to a CD comp) for years but the Kendricks is an eye opener--fantastic album.

• I went to Miami for a short trip a few weeks ago to visit some family and I had some time to check out the thrifts/fleas.

And some 45 pickups:

edit: Forgot the 12"s.

• woah...Mantrap! Total Miami record...found in Miami! Is it a spare by chance? ;)

What's the Ecstasy acetate? Barry White?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Lazer, yes Paul Ngozi was more or less the epicenter of Zambian psych rock in the 70s. These are late 70s/early 80s releases that are not as "psych-ey", but still rock pretty hard. I have some doubles that are not pictured. They are in amazing condition compare to how you find most records down there.

The Amha and Kaifa releases are from Ethiopia. One is Hailu Mergia, one is prod. by Mulatu and the other is this badass chick I've never heard of before.

Amazing.

• crazypoprock said:
    woah...Mantrap! Total Miami record...found in Miami! Is it a spare by chance? ;)

What's the Ecstasy acetate? Barry White?
    Nope, but I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I'll let you know.

The Ecstasy acetate is this I think:
    http://www.discogs.com/Ecstacy-Living-In-Ecstacy/release/4442219

• In addition to Miami, I also took a short trip to Puerto Rico. I wasn't able to check out all the usual spots, but I still found some cool things.

Felix Martinez is sealed.

and the 45s:

also found this but unfortunately no cover: