God's Chorus of Crickets

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
recording of crickets slowed down.
I guess it's been a hard week, it made me cry.

Comments

• Crazy. Thanks for posting.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Amazing and beautiful. It made me think about other sounds we may be missing out on that creatures make.

• Must be that kind of morning. I just fought back tears looking at an art catalog.

This is beautiful, thank you.

• bassie said:

I guess it's been a hard week, it made me cry.

I know how that goes.

There is a record on the Deutsche Grammophon with a similar cricket theme. I can't remember the title right now.

• Check out Graeme Revell's album "The Insect Musicians," where he combines various insect sounds to create tracks like this:

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    who has a decent rip of this?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ok, just noticed it was available to buy.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Pretty mind-blowing. It reminds me a little of the Missa Luba from Lindsay Anderson's if....

Not quite as remarkable, but still worth hearing, is this;

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    the Missa Luba from Lindsay Anderson's if....

One of my favourite films. I watched it so many times trying to figure out the meaning between the colour and bw sequences, only to read they shot the movie out of sequence, ran out of money and had to use bw film for the remainder :l
    That is a much better explanation.

Is this the clip you meant, though? Around 8.50 is the sequence used through the film.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    this thread reminded of this crazy tuvan throat singing + bulgarian women's choir album:

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Instinctively I can't help but doubt the authenticity of the supposed slowed down cricket recording. It also doesn't make any sense why they would overlay the whole track with the "real time" crickets.

I only hope they won't start playing this shit in restaurant bathrooms like those annoying whale recordings years back... I prefer my animals to feed me and not to serenade me.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Frank said:
    Instinctively I can't help but doubt the authenticity of the supposed slowed down cricket recording. It also doesn't make any sense why they would overlay the whole track with the "real time" crickets.

I only hope they won't start playing this shit in restaurant bathrooms like those annoying whale recordings years back... I prefer my animals to feed me and not to serenade me.

I'm guessing they made it using this:
    http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

this is the same program (or something very similar) that was used for that Justin Bieber slowed down thing that has a similar vibe. It applies some other effects besides stretching the sound so you end up with that ethereal quality.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    bassie said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    the Missa Luba from Lindsay Anderson's if....

One of my favourite films. I watched it so many times trying to figure out the meaning between the colour and bw sequences, only to read they shot the movie out of sequence, ran out of money and had to use bw film for the remainder :l
    That is a much better explanation.

Is this the clip you meant, though? Around 8.50 is the sequence used through the film.

Yeah, it is. There was just something about that crickets recording that put me in mind of it.

Apparently it was even a hit single in the UK in the late 60s, but I have absolutely no recollection of that at all. It would explain the proliferation of the accompanying album in UK charity shops, however.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Frank said:

I'm guessing they made it using this:
    http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

this is the same program (or something very similar) that was used for that Justin Bieber slowed down thing that has a similar vibe. It applies some other effects besides stretching the sound so you end up with that ethereal quality.

The right program might even make my farts sound like gods angels in heaven singing otherworldly, ethereal spa spirituals. Actually I'll give this a shot next time I bake a batch of my infamous South German onion tart... put it on Soundcloud and claim it's the slowed down mating call of birds of paradise. Might just move you to tears...

• Jesus, Frank. Drink a beer, smoke a blunt & get laid.

• gareth said:
    Jesus, Frank. Drink a beer, smoke a blunt & get laid.go enjoy your wife's money and STFU

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    swissbeatz said:
    gareth said:
    Jesus, Frank. Drink a beer, smoke a blunt & get laid.go enjoy your wife's money and STFU

Dude... we're about to sit on our terrace, have a cocktail of rum, hibiskus flowers and estate grown mandarin limes while enjoying our view over Costa Rica's Central valley . We've both given up smoking and money's not really an issue for us.

Now go and make some beatz in (hahaha...) Switzerland and stop worrying about other people's money... must be a Swiss obsession since without other people's money you'd just be a bunch of underdeveloped, hardly civilized mountain people who've never even written a footnote in the book of global, cultural history. Bunch of hicks enjoying ill-gotten, undeserved prosperity due to a long history of international money laundry.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I thought this thread was about the responses every time I start a music thread.

b/w

Auto-tuned flatulence > Fake crickets

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Frank said:

I heard the slowed down crickets on a science/human interest segment of NPR a few months back.
    Which doesn't prove there is no other processing.
    To me, the real time crickets give the track some tempo.

Not to hassle you, but what the fuck is an "estate grown" lime? All limes are grown, so lets cross that out.
    Estate? Your estate, that would be cool.
    Estate as opposed to... what? Plantation? Farm? Suburb?
    I guess a Suburban Grown Fox Valley Estates Lime, just wouldn't taste as good. :cheese:

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    The break at 42:06 :face_melt:

• Frank said:
    swissbeatz said:
    gareth said:

Now go and make some beatz in (hahaha...) Switzerland and stop worrying about other people's money... must be a Swiss obsession since without other people's money you'd just be a bunch of underdeveloped, hardly civilized mountain people who've never even written a footnote in the book of global, cultural history. Bunch of hicks enjoying ill-gotten, undeserved prosperity due to a long history of international money laundry.

Still better than throw people into ovens I guess.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    swissbeatz said:
    Frank said:
    swissbeatz said:
    gareth said:

I hope your beats/z are more creative than your disses/z.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    swissbeatz said:
    Frank said:
    swissbeatz said:
    gareth said:

Switzerland collaborated with Nazi Germany and profited by providing the foreign currencies the Nazi regime needed for a total of 75% for their international transactions. Just as Switzerland has profited from every single dictatorship and cleptocracy in modern history. From Idi Amin and Mobutu to Charles Taylor, they all moved their loot to Switzerland. You guys made a killing by doing business with genocidal despots, all on the backs of the millions of people exploited, tortured and killed. The slick bankers of death. And what about the tens of thousands of Jewish refugees who you refused to help and instead turned back over to the Nazis?

Fucking hell, all I wanted to do was point out that those slowed down cricket recordings to me sounded doctored and I couldn't resist and make a joke or two about it. I never meant to disrespect the crickets as my love and respect for nature is only matched by my contempt for most of mankind. Poor little critters, being autotuned and trivialized for some viral "OMG they sound like angles" internets moment.

And with estate grown I meant those limes grow in our garden, we have 3 different species of them. We got shit loads of crickets, too. Angelic little fuckers.

• Frank said:
    I never meant to disrespect the crickets

New forum title!

Oh, wait, wrong board...

• Frank just mad because he couldnt fart to keep a tune if his life depended on it!

• Frank said:
    We got shit loads of crickets, too. Angelic little fuckers.

Sometimes, I check out Soul Strut, read a line like the above, and think to myself, "This place still has it."

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    toby.d said:
    The break at 42:06 :face_melt:

Nice one!

Anyways, from autotuned insects rubbing body parts to Godwins in 1.5 pages is ideal for these wintry days.

By the by, best version of Os Grilos?
    A tie between the lounge vocal and big band instr versions of Marcos Valle, with a special nod to cheesy organ king Wanderley. No baby spice.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Valle.

Been Bossa in my head for like, a month.

Workshy Samba-Kings got it on lock. Almost.

Talmbout "How Insensitive" and dem. I found a version where the pianist is clog and it rulez.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/oct/01/bossa-nova-highest-culture-brazil

"Most Brazilians will be familiar with some of Vinicius's early poetry," says singer Monica Vasconcelos. "One of his sonnets features a couplet that translates as: 'Our love will not be immortal as it is a flame/ But it will be infinite when it is burning.' You often hear that read at weddings. But it's his song lyrics that are the essence of bossa nova. Gilberto said that bossa nova is not about tristeza, or sadness, instead it's about 'a touch of sadness'. Vinicius captures that perfectly. Take a song like Insensatez, better known in translation as How Insensitive. It captures a sweet sadness. It's not the sadness you'll find in opera; instead it's a cool, gentle sadness. Likewise, a later song of his like Samba Da Volta is a beautifully poetic song about a lover returning. It almost takes pleasure from heartbreak."

This represented a shift in Brazilian lyrics. Where samba songs usually refer to the public sphere ??? carnival, social conflict, politics ??? bossa nova focuses instead on the individual and the personal. "It was possibly the first popular music where the themes were existential," says Veloso. "It's part of what makes it high art. Third-world countries usually produce raw materials that are then transformed into capital by first world nations. This happens in industry, but it also happens in the arts. What was revolutionary about bossa nova is that a third-world country was creating high art on its own terms, and selling that art around the world. It remains a dream of what an ideal civilisation can create."

• Frank said:

Fucking hell, all I wanted to do was point out that those slowed down cricket recordings to me sounded doctored and I couldn't resist and make a joke or two about it. I never meant to disrespect the crickets as my love and respect for nature is only matched by my contempt for most of mankind. Poor little critters, being autotuned and trivialized for some viral "OMG they sound like angles" internets moment.

It didn't really happen that way. You were sceptic about the authenticity of the recordings on some audio Sherlock Holmes shit, then someone most likely proved you wrong. Your pride got hurt and you felt the need to belittle the posters who cried. I can guarantee than you gonna have to record a shitload (no pun intended) of audio fart layers, to get something sounding like a cluster of crickets or birds...