Comments

• and 36 Chambers

• Quite the release day.

• and doggystyle the week prior

• We are Old

• didnt buhloone mindstate come out on the same day too?
    seems like i bought all 3 of those tapes on the same tuesday.

• i think buhloone mindstate was a few weeks prior to midnight marauders

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    On the 20th anniversary of their respective releases, I listened to both Midnight Marauders and Enter The Wu-Tang back-to-back all day.

Midnight Marauders wins. Eat that, Lupe Fiasco.

• Enter the Wu is the inferior of the two, but it signaled the beginning of some really great Wu music to come.

MM on the other hand was Tribe's high point, to be followed by only less-good output.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Y'all are nutso. Enter the Wu >>>>>> Midnight Marauders easily.

And Low End Theory is easily Tribe's high point.

• HarveyCanal said:

Enter the wu provokes more of a response from me. In terms of smooth, end to end burner, midnight wins, but enter the wu has some major highs.

The idea that it wasn't until GZA and Raekwon came out with their joints that the first top notch Wu album was upon us is preposterous.

And those that rate Midnight Marauders over Low End Theory need to stop letting women make decisions for them.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

And those that rate Midnight Marauders over Low End Theory need to stop letting women make decisions for them.

Also, we're only 9 days from the 20th anniversary of the release of this great album:

Let's start the celebration, dammit!

• Best ATC is the first one and Low End is the worst of the first four. *diversity of opinions*
    36 chambers is a landmark, still so charismatic, though some days I forget about songs and slightly prefer Forever. Wu is more impressive song to song, but overall I think ATC is slightly stronger. Well, no idea why I'm trying to compare them.
    Digital Underground > all of them anyway lol. Well no, but you know.

another 9 nov 93 album is 12 play from R. Kelly btw.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

thank you

• HarveyCanal said:

• batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

thank you

wherever you stand on MM vs. Enter 36, my basic point still stands: that one of the two albums was the product of a group on the rise, with their best work still ahead of them, while the other was the product of a group either at or past their prime.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

thank you

wherever you stand on MM vs. Enter 36, my basic point still stands: that one of the two albums was the product of a group on the rise, with their best work still ahead of them, while the other was the product of a group either at or past their prime.

Triumph is not better than Enter.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I was surprised I felt the way I did, to tell you the truth. I'd have expected to feel the opposite. Much as I've always liked Midnight Marauders, Low End Theory is still my favourite Tribe album. As a statement of intent at the time, though, Enter The Wu-Tang took some beating. But in the light of what came later, it doesn't sound quite as remarkable to me now as it did back then. There's no avoiding the fact that they raised the bar for themselves to a ridiculous extent with that first round of Wu solo joints, so I don't think it's particularly outrageous to suggest that they lapped themselves pretty quickly after its release.

To kind of echo what rootless said, Tribe had developed their own distinct aesthetic by the time of MM, so for me the whole thing works better as an album. Wu, on the other hand, were just wildin' out. With spectacular results, admittedly, but lacking the focus of the Tribe record. It sounds like the difference between an act on the come-up and one at its creative peak.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    enter the wu is better than low end theory and midnight marauders combined

• batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

thank you

obviously it's not dude.

but the Wu as a crew still had their best albums (or at the very least albums of equal dopeness) in front of them.

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:

thank you

obviously it's not dude.

but the Wu as a crew still had their best albums (or at the very least albums of equal dopeness) in front of them.

I've never agreed that any other Wu album is better than Enter. Yeah, Cuban Linx and Supreme Clientele are right up there, but the impact of that first album could never be matched IMO. I'm pretty sure I bought it without having even heard any of it yet. The martial arts concept on the cover intrigued me and then the music straight blew me away, as it still does.