Private Mind Garden Best Musician Biopic

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
Miles thread got me thinking:

If you could get any biopic about any musician made with an unlimited budget and unlimited access...what would it look like?

Musician?
Time Period?
Director?
Actor?

Off the top of my head, i'd like to see this scenario unfold:

Charles Mingus
Played by Delroy Lindo
Directed by Terrence Mallick
Focusing on his last days alive as he went to Mexico for treatment and on the day he died all those whales beached themselves.

how about you?

Comments

• not to be difficult but i would never want to see a bio-pic of charles mingus, john coltrane, chet baker, nina simone or any of those giants, many of whom lived somewhat outre lifestyles. their careers and lives were well-documented, who needs hagiography anyhow? i blame "ray" for setting off this trend. in retrospect, ray is just as awful and manipulative as forrest gump.

that said, there are a number of amazing documentaries out there (no searching for sugarman bullshit) that provide the best window into artists lives like:

-let's get lost together (chet baker)
    -triumph of the underdog (charles mingus)
    -straight no chaser (monk)

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I kinda agree with Crab on all fronts, but at the same time, this sounds sick:

mrmatthew said:

Charles Mingus
    Played by Delroy Lindo
    Directed by Terrence Mallick
    Focusing on his last days alive as he went to Mexico for treatment and on the day he died all those whales beached themselves.

Playing along...

Tarantino doing a biopic on Buddy Rich would melt my face.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I like Deroy but he looks nothing like a fat light-skinned cat.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The homie Wreccless could play Mingus...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've said many times before I love the music bio pic. Used to watch the Benny Goodman story on daytime TV when I was a kid. Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Loretta Lynn, Lady Sings The Blues, none are good films, but I like them.

One that works as a movie is Backbeat. Supposed to be about the early days of the Beatles, but in the end it's about John Lennon's love for Stu Sutcliff. What makes it better than others is that the John/Stu story is in the front, and the Beatles story is in the background.

Just watched the Trailer. Some critic said "A Radical Production". So it's radical too.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    not to be difficult but i would never want to see a bio-pic of charles mingus, john coltrane, chet baker, nina simone or any of those giants, many of whom lived somewhat outre lifestyles. their careers and lives were well-documented, who needs hagiography anyhow? i blame "ray" for setting off this trend. in retrospect, ray is just as awful and manipulative as forrest gump.

I completely agree.
    But I do think that there have been some novel (if not flawed) takes on the "Musical Biopic" done over the years that were entertaining in and of themselves and didn't follow the formula like Ray or Walk The Line did.

Examples being:

Gainsbourg; A Heroic Life
    Dylan - I'm Not There
    Edith Piaf - La Vien Rose
    Cobain - Last Days

Just dreaming up some scenarios that would work for me is all.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    An unhmmed up Sex Pistols

Any Phil Lynott, for pref an unknown actor

• A lame movie about the last days of Hank Williams' life came out last year. I'd like to see a good one someday.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'd like to see a good James Brown movie, but it's not gonna happen.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    David Lee Roth
    1980's
    Wes Anderson or Chan-wook Park
    Bradley Cooper

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    DOR said:
    David Lee Roth
    1980's
    Wes Anderson or Chan-wook Park
    Bradley Cooper

Id watch that.
    I'm assuming it would be a series of vignettes based on "Crazy From The Heat"?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Gymnop??dies-era Satie directed by Claire Denis

Scott LaFaro's last days by Jarmusch