Cassette two-fers

Saucy TweenbalSaucy Tweenbal 45 Posts
edited November 2013 in Strut Central
Homemade cassette double features. Go!

-----------------(Formerly this)----------

Are there any albums you have (by the same artist presumably) that you consider to be basically one album? (and may be inclined to listen to back to back) Often the same sound, have similar styles, and basically could just be a double album (to you)?

Also, (kind of an offshoot) are there any albums that you have where you simply can't listen to one without listening to the other? Forgive me if any of those topics have already been covered.

As for me, I see Quicksilver Messenger Services, "Just For Love" and "What About Me" as one big album (and it makes sense because the songs were basically all from the same writing and recording binge).

Another pair in 1 that Id listen to back to back would be Sly Stones, "Fresh" and "Small Talk". Even the covers look alike.

As for the last part, I can't really answer that question directly because there are certain artists that I often listen to in binges (when I do listen to them). Namely: Can, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead

Aye??

Comments

• A pair that I usually need to listen to back to back would definitely be 'Funkadelic' and 'Maggot Brain'

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Newban and Newban 2

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Outlaw and Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse...

• Don't think I know about Newban

Edit: Hey now

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Saucy Tweenbal said:
    Don't think I know about Newban

Edit: Hey now

Hahah...I wasn't trying to be cute. Google Newban and/or Newban 2. They're on the tax-scam Guinness label and were the pre-cursor to Atlantic Starr. OGs go for $600 or so. I'm a big fan of Newban, especially their first LP.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Kool And The Gang: Music Is The Message and Good Times.

• That was a post-google 'hey now'. Haha. Definitely sparked my interest

I haven't heard much (if anything) from Atlantic Starr, as I usually just assume it's disco(esque at least) and ignore it. But that looks pretty cool. I'll have to give them a go.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Andy Bey's Experience and judgement, followed by Gary Bartz Harlem Bush music/Uhuru album.
    Bartz' album feels like a jazzed up extentlion of the E&J album.
    I love both albums dearly.

• Beastie Boys
    Check Your Head and Ill Communication

• Beastie Boys
    Check Your Head and Ill Communication

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions & FFF
    Probably because I got both albums on the same day as a teenager- kept them in the same plastic sleeve, similar cover style - even today I confuse which songs are on which album.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    From the ole whole album on each side of a cassette days...

Straight Outta Compton/Eazy Duz It

Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash/Hootenanny

Natty Dread/Exodus

• HarveyCanal said:

Quicksilver Messenger Service/ Moby Grape

• leon said:
    Andy Bey's Experience and judgement, followed by Gary Bartz Harlem Bush music/Uhuru album.
    Bartz' album feels like a jazzed up extentlion of the E&J album.
    I love both albums dearly.

I'll have to give those j's a listen soon

• The Chronic and Doggystyle
    Its a super group album from Dre, Snoop, Nate and DPG

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Natty Dread/Exodus
    Damn, you had your shit together, thematically speaking. My dubbing game back then was kinda senseless. I was going through a box of tapes the other day and found some shit from college that had Ornette Coleman's Dancing In Your Head on one side and Tower Of Power loosies on the other. "I Got The Chop" and shit. Oof.

Anyway, two big double-siders for me were and Doolittle b/w Violent Femmes and Danzig b/w B-52's.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Slider/Electric Warrior

Psychedelic Shack/Cloud Nine

L.A.M.F./So Alone

james said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Natty Dread/Exodus

Damn, you had your shit together, thematically speaking.

Those were each tapes made by 2 different friends of mine for me.

Another big one from back then was a tape another friend of mine found in the street that had Joe Jackson's Look Sharp on one side and Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables on the other. We listened to that tape a lot.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Natty Dread/Exodus
    Damn, you had your shit together, thematically speaking. My dubbing game back then was kinda senseless. I was going through a box of tapes the other day and found some shit from college that had Ornette Coleman's Dancing In Your Head on one side and Tower Of Power loosies on the other. "I Got The Chop" and shit. Oof.

Anyway, two big double-siders for me were and Doolittle b/w Violent Femmes and Danzig b/w B-52's.

On the subject of Tower of Power, I always, always listen to the self titled and Back to Oakland lp's together. Those are both similarly great albums.

• james said:

Danzig b/w B-52's.

Hahah that's great

HarveyCanal said:
    Joe Jackson's Look Sharp on one side and Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables on the other.
    That's a hell of a one-two, right there.

From the deep files (please pardon my ninth-grade handstyle):

Ramones b/w Berserker. Talk about a fucking wig-splitter.

james said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Joe Jackson's Look Sharp on one side and Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables on the other.

Wow, you were listening to Scratch Acid in 9th grade.

I'm in like 29th grade and I still haven't gotten around to them yet. And they're even from here.

Hat's off.

HarveyCanal said:
    james said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Wow, you were listening to Scratch Acid in 9th grade.

I'm in like 29th grade and I still haven't gotten around to them yet. And they're even from here.

Hat's off.
    It was dumb luck. The summer after eighth grade, my man Jones went to some garage sale in his neighborhood held by the family of this troubled runaway girl where they were, um, selling all her shit. That's that Southern Baptist "tough love" for you, I guess. Anyway, he paid like a nickel for this shoebox full of "weird"-looking tapes, and brought it back to our little group like Moses coming back from the Mount. I can't remember everything that was in there, but it included that Ramones and that Scratch Acid, the Repo Man soundtrack, The Pogues' Rum, Sodomy, and The Lash, some Circle Jerks tape, some Exploited tape, Never Mind The Bollocks, and a bunch more. I don't think any of us ever really went home after that, if you know what I mean.

But yeah, as much as I'd like to be able to play cool, it was dumb luck all the way. Before that shoebox, I was buying, like, Weird Al and INXS and shit.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Women and Children First / Fair Warning split double cassette growing up.
    To this day I still don't know which songs are on which album.

Sticky Fingers / Exlie / Goats Head always sounded super similar to me.

And on the dubbed tape tip,...back in the late 80's there was a classic rock station that used to play 7 entire albums end-to-end,each Sunday Night.
    They called it The Seventh Day.
    That is how I got most of my dubbed tapes in JR HIgh.
    I had one that tape that had Sticky Fingers on it.
    After the fade out on Moonlight Mile..the announcer came on and back announced the album so I kept the tape running and stopped it after he started to announce the next album Genesis - And Then There Were Three.
    Curious about the album, I decided to switch the tape back on to record the first track Down And Out and was able to get the first few tracks of that album on the tape as well.
    I listed to the tape a lot and loved Moonlight Mile so much (great epic slow fade) that I nowhave this crazy pavlovian response that whenever I hear Moonlight Mile, that I think the next tune should be a crappy mid-period Genesis tune.

• Shakedown Street / Terrapin Station
    Mars Hotel / Wake of the Flood