Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    Is this Mobile Digging?

Not yet.

just old fashioned grifting

• Better pray that Milkcrate stick with the search and buy app with barcode scanner, and not expand to list for sale by search and barcode, cos then you're really struggling to add anything to the party, cos the app exists already.

I am assuming I have understood what it is exactly of course LOL
    Attached files

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    Better pray that Milkcrate stick with the search and buy app with barcode scanner, and not expand to list for sale by search and barcode, cos then you're really struggling to add anything to the party, cos the app exists already.

I am assuming I have understood what it is exactly of course LOL

• i'd like you to post up some pictures of your collection.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• I met a traveller from an antique land
    Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
    Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
    Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
    And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
    Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
    Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
    The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
    And on the pedestal these words appear:
    `My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
    The lone and level sands stretch far away".

• and [/thread]

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    hey guys, its easy to pick holes in someones ideas.
    its no point in trying to derail the guys ambition/dream/investment.
    I mean its almost traditional for folks who show up here with big ideas (or just those who show up) to get a bit of a hard time but there is a time to stop putting the boot in.
    As said in the other thread he just came on here to answer some questions, he wasn't really out pimping his product,

• osandiosandi 25 Posts
    FortyFivan said:
    vintageinfants said:
    osandi said:
    vintageinfants said:
    if i gave you money today;

would you be able to tell me where it's going?

can you provide a cost by cost analysis of how you arrived at $650k? ( :balla: )

are these donations going towards pre-existing debts or for a product moving forward?

how do i get my money back?

Have you ever used Kickstarter or Indiegogo?
    That might be a place to start if our site is new to you. We understand that everyone may not have backed a project on either platform.

Osandi
    Vnylst Inc.

i dont like your sociopathic inability to answer straight questions. and for that reason you'll definitely never get a dollar from me.

^^^^ This. Not sure why I'm still even in this conversation, but I'll add...

Successful crowdfunding campaigns are based on tangible value for value. Help me fund my recording and mastering session costs, you get an early copy of the album. Help me fund my publishing costs, you get an early copy of my book. This is a very one sided effort... help me fund my development so I get a product for my company. It's not game changing enough for me to fund it just so it exists in the marketplace, so you should be more explicit in what funders are getting for their money. "Perks" ain't doin' it for anyone.

Also, funding companies does not happen all at once. You're painting a picture of your costs to maintain the business as you envision it becoming, when you should be focusing on the funds necessary to get there. My guess would be < $25K. You're a UX designer, so design a wireframe and screen concepts, specify the functional requirements in as much detail as you can, and then hire 1 iOS developer on oDesk to develop a POC. Get an individual, not a company by the way. I've had great luck with Eastern European developers. Cost effective, incredibly loyal, and also very engaging throughout the course of development. It may be cheaper in India and China, but you only get EXACTLY what you ask for, which rarely works in the software world.

To answer your question, no, it's not going toward any pre-existing debts, sir.
    Thank you kindly for the advice.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Frank said:
    Personally, I'd see a good chance for an international auction platform set up to replace ebay for the sale of more collectible records.

just build an app for discogs and clean the shit out of their website then go whole hog at something that has not already been done like what Frank suggested.

Record collectors/ sellers are luddites, we stick to what we know, especially if it works. You need to hit it out of the park to make us notice...

• francois parker said:
    As said in the other thread he just came on here to answer some questions

That's just it. He hasn't really answered anything (here).

And when I read shit like
    meet the diverse needs of all the stakeholders involved in the exchange of vinyl.

I'm just

• speakmumbles said:
    i'd like you to post up some pictures of your collection.

• osandiosandi 25 Posts
    Frank said:
    osandi said:

Hi Frank.

If you're going to paraphrase our terms & conditions, by all means string it together in a way that doesn't discredit our product. I've already addressed the amount we're seeking and that we'll be improving how we've communicated the milestone we are seeking funding for.

If you have never used Kickstarter or Indiegogo, please refer to those sites for an idea of how these type of things are framed so to be informed, then make a decision should you like to show us support; now or when we make improvements to the before-mentioned.

Why should it be relevant how Kickstarter works when your terms are entirely different?

Kickstarter sets a clear start and end date and refunds the pledged money to the backers if the funding goal is not reached.

Your terms say "Any contribution made by you is irrevocable and you shall have no right to a return of your contribution in whole or in part."

Then it says "Perks are refundable and can be returned after two weeks of receiving. Items can be returned in ???like new,??? unwashed and non-defective condition within 14 business days of purchase."

Under FAQ out of a sudden it's not 14 but 30 days: "You can return your item within 30 days in unworn, unwashed or unused condition. We will provide a shipping label and deduct the cost to ship the item back to your return address."

Are your "perks" sold as a product and will these products be refunded at their purchasing price?

Within 14 days or within 30 days?

Another quote: "Company estimates that it will need $650,000 to develop Company product lines, ship the products (perks)... "

Under FQA it says "If we fail to reach our goal, then we will not be able to finish our app, however we will ship your perks in exchange for your pledge."

How can you ship something that is still in development? And again, I'm quoting from your own terms: "Many of the perks are still in development and we will continue to make improvements to the perks as the Project is funded." To me this sounds like you are taking pre-orders and might or might not ship if the funding goal is not reached depending on product availability.

The very few and small pieces of what at first glance appears to be hands-on information that you are giving us are being contradicted by your own terms.

Color me puzzled.

Peace and thank you for the feedback.

The site that we have in place is essentially our eCommerce store that points out that the money we make goes toward the development of a 1st milestone of our app. We will be indicating on our blog what the 1st milestone entails. (This is our beta effort).

But to be clear as it relates to "products under development", we have a model of our record crates that recently was improved and it is to speak to the affect that we are essence producing items that are constantly being iterated upon and improved. That information is added to let anyone know that what they may have seen about the web may differ than what we have available for pre-order on our site. It is also to make anyone aware who may have pre-ordered a crate based on listed dimensions, if we're using the same reference, that the product may differ than when originally reserved. (Link to the crate mentioned: http://dig.vnyl.st/1agxYaL)

It is to also let people know that if we have originally listed an item (like a t-shirt) that for whatever reason is constrained due to materials, we may result to another resource in order to fulfill pre-orders.

I know of Kickstarter campaigns that ended where the goal exceeded the expected ask. Those particular suppliers improved their offering (because they now had money to) and let those who reserved their perks know via commenting on the campaign's page.

Some have even put shipping perks on hold (well beyond the shipping date) to pursue an even greater chance of reaching more people (for example, a book that was funded received interest from a publisher) after offers to expand their project into a business opportunity arose.

They will more than likely receive something different (that underwent development) than what was originally planned or offered as a pre-order. The reason that pledges for whatever reason may be irrevocable is due to the extent that if for whatever reason a worst-case scenario of events should occur (my death, an earthquake that should engulf all of California where two of our current team mates reside, resulting in the loss of our computers, servers...etc.), that we cannot be held liable to carry out our obligation. Of course, these are extreme probable occurrences, but our terms have to be framed to a furthest extent so to not be held liable in case should events occur.

We are positioning ourselves to ship the pre-orders during the current beta before the end of November so to reward our backers prior to the Christmas holiday (as a gesture of trust and appreciation for their pledges, though we won't be able to take advantage of the best prices that are typical of producing minimums).

Thank you for the 14 vs 30 day call out. It has been adjusted on our site to match 30 days, which is what the terms should indicate. I really appreciate the mention and respectful candor.

Regards,

Osandi
    Vnylst Inc.

• osandiosandi 25 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    francois parker said:
    As said in the other thread he just came on here to answer some questions

That's just it. He hasn't really answered anything (here).

And when I read shit like
    meet the diverse needs of all the stakeholders involved in the exchange of vinyl.

I'm just

Peace,

Here's a simple definition of stakeholder (not that you aren't competent, but just to make a reference):

A person, group or organization that has interest or concern in an organization.
    source: http://dig.vnyl.st/1hvnUME

By stakeholder I am referring to artists, record store owners, collectors, labels and their respective employees.

Regards,

Osandi
    Vnylst Inc.
    Attached files

• osandiosandi 25 Posts
    Peace,

Thanks to everyone for the feedback; most importantly the respectful replies and questions that are helping us improve our current ask.

Some of you may disagree merely on the basis that we're trying to build something that may compete with what you currently use. Some of you may not agree with how I have articulated our mission, vision and other value propositions whether through social media on our existing site.

Either way, I can be reached directly (osandi@vnylst.com) if any of you would like to provide any constructive feedback that has not already been discussed in this thread. It really is the only way we'll get better at building products that you may find of benefit.

If you haven't already visited, feel free to stay up to date with the progress on our blog (vrse.vnylst.com) and see how your feedback will be put to use. I'm resigning from this thread so to focus on other responsibilities.

Respectfully,

Osandi
    Vnylst Inc.
    Attached files

• 1/2 million dollars.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    1/2 million dollars.

Is not enough.

• word!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    he wants record stores to catalogue and database stock

That is the immovable object. I cannot see a carrot, nor a stick.

• The heartbreaking thing about this thread
    is that Ossian (or whatever his name is)
    Is the only one who doesn't realize how much everyone wants to see him succeed
    and how much everyone is trying to help him

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'm shocked, shocked, that no-one has stepped up with the Travolta parody for Osandi.

• email me to tell me how to fix my idea, then pay me to allow me to pay the people that will construct it.

couture crates and adapters aka vnylst

please somebody buy VINYLIST.COM

• where is the blood in this thread old soulstrut would've never let this ole i work at the genius bar listen to my jargon then give me six hundred thousand dollars ass clon clock out with a simple thanks for your feedback everyone here should be ashamed of their kindness and maturity

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I wish you all the success in the world, but the last thing record collectors want to hear are words like "Next Big Thing" and "Evolutionize". I tried to take this site to the next level a few years a go, implementing features that I really thought would benefit to the community, but instead it was a tremendous flop. We are creatures set in our own ways. We complain when things change. We cry foul when people sensationalize and try to capitalize on the culture.

• Raj,

For what it's worth, I don't think your improvements were a flop. The group curated map is still very useful, mixes are organized more intuitively, and the responsive design is way easier on the eyes if one is browsing on their phone.

Did those changes excite folks? Of course not, we're record people, we're creatures of habit. Did those changes monetize the site? Of course not, we're record people, we're creatures of habit.

Still strong work though.

• its not the idea its the response. fucking stupid. everyone jump on the guy and tear apart his idea. lets make fun of his name!
    if raj or phill or dee or that german guy pitched that exact story, dudes would be all 'great idea but maybe try this' - 'whoa i love it'

stop this retarded allegiance to the forum shit. nobody cares about off the wall or thriller

derp. who cares

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    This is from a different Salma Hayek 2 years ago. It should be kept on file for just these occasions.

james said:
    Not to single you out, The_record_nerd, but I'm always kinda mystified when long-timers in the record-collecting scene do something related to that culture (write an article, film a video, helm a reissue, whatever), and then get surprised at the attention that their fellow travelers pay to the details.

Because, I mean, not to be reductive, but on a very fundamental level, record collecting is details: it's this record but not that one, that one but not this one, the lp but not the 45, the twelve-inch but not the lp, nothing before x year, nothing after y year, the pink label not the blue, ad infinitum/nauseam. We all do it, we all know that we all do it, and it's thus baffling to me that record dudes who have spent huge stretches of their lives making molecular-level distinctions and amassing mountains of ever-more-minute minutia will trot some project of theirs in front of other record dudes and then berate them for nit-picking. I always want to ask: Well, how did you think this was gonna go? What--you're heated because record collectors are going over your shit with a fine-toothed comb, judging your product based on the little things? This surprises you? "That tiger ain't go crazy--that tiger went tiger!", know what I mean?

I'd agree with The_Non that you should keep havin' fun (dude), but at the same time, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that anything that is not meant to withstand close scrutiny, differing opinions, and/or laundry lists of micro-criticisms probably needs to be kept far, far away from record dudes.

• LaserWolf said:
    This is from a different Salma Hayek 2 years ago. It should be kept on file for just these occasions.

this has fuck all to do with the issue. i guarantee you homeboy will agree
    write your own responses laserwolf

double derp

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jaggerz said:
    LaserWolf said:

this has fuck all to do with the issue. i guarantee you homeboy will agree
    write your own responses laserwolf

I would, but I can't write all good like James can.