Improper Band Names

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
A six-member, Portland, Ore. band composed entirely of Asian-Americans has been fighting the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (PTO) for over four years in an effort to trademark the band???s name ??? ???The Slants.???

When the band first applied for the trademark in 2009, the PTO refused on the grounds that the name was offensive to Asians, citing two crowd-sourced reference sites ??? Wikipedia and the ever-colorful Urban Dictionary ??? in the denial.

Urban Dictionary, an online compendium of user-submitted definitions, has multiple definitions for ???slants.??? According to one, the term is a ???derogatory term used to refer to those of Asian descent. More accurately, it tends to refer to anybody with slanted eyes.??? Another identifies ???slants??? as ???Pants worn by a slut, or ???slutty pants??? or ???slut pants??? which form the merged word ???slants???. Normally worn much lower than normal pants because the wearer is ???always ready.??????

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/21/racial-slur-government-blocks-asian-american-band-from-trademarking-the-slants/#ixzz2iO2QzSwq

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    One of the fake band names in a recent SNL Gathering of the Juggaloes parody was Gunt, which I think packs a lot of offense into four letters.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    One of the fake band names in a recent SNL Gathering of the Juggaloes parody was Gunt, which I think packs a lot of offense into four letters.

The University Of North Texas was recently hit by vandals who added two letters to the UNT ART BUILDING sign.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    DB_Cooper said:

The University Of North Texas was recently hit by vandals who added two letters to the UNT ART BUILDING sign.

They were just asking for it. As is the town of Tuckahoe on my commuter rail line.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    My former band went under a number of risqu?? guises, variously billed back in those heady 79/80 days (on Xeroxed flyers) as The Cunts, The Shitcunts, Shitcunt and once, memorably, as Cunt.

Whilst these were largely bedroom wankerdom names, we did once support Mot??rhead at the Kingston College back in the day when Mhead were scatching a living on the back of punk, but the nom du jour now escapes.

God we were arseholes.

• Yet more vapid "Big Bad Guvmint" bullshit from Tuckkker Carlson's increasingly stupid and racist Daily Caller.

Who gives a shit? Why does this band need a seal of government approval for their stupid name, anyway? I doubt the Fried Abortions had such worries.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Dayglo Abortions
    Nip Drivers
    Anal Cunt
    Crucifucks

crusty punks have this stuff down

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Whenever i see a Circlejerks record it makes me cringe.

Maybe i should attend one.

Wait, i'm on Soulstrut already :bingbadaboom:

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fuck these pieces of shit

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I wonder if they would allow me to trademark the name Boston Red Sux....the t-shirt sale potential is great!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Already in Portland we have (had):
    Cherry Popping Daddies
    always liked Dandy Warhols
    Smegma
    Napalm Beach

Also
    NWA

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I think Maggot Stuffed Cunt is a nasty name, tech metal band :(

• Rockadelic said:
    I wonder if they would allow me to trademark the name Boston Red Sux....the t-shirt sale potential is great!

Sure. The pockets of jealous fans whose teams have never won and are now in yet another rebuilding phase are filled with cash they didn't have to use on playoff tickets.