AVOID the discogs seller "vinylistgroove"!

bobtheorangebobtheorange 432 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
Since I almost have this resolved, I thought I would go ahead and post this.

A few weeks ago I bought a copy of Gyedu-Blay Ambolley's Simigwa off of Discogs. The seller listed it as a clean original with label damage but what I received instead was the French bootleg. What's worse, it looks like the seller tried to mask it as an original by damaging the labels/cover. Check it out:

As you all can probably tell, the cover is slick and modern looking, the text on the back looks pixel-based, and the cover has a completely white inner that doesn't look like it has ever been close to a hot and humid environment such as West Africa's. On top of that, the wear looks completely inauthentic. The ???ringwear??? on the cover looks like it has been scratched in. The labels are torn and have water damage, yet the cover is completely fine. There is nothing about it that feels authentic.

Check out the labels too:

The original:

And the french boot that was sent to me:

Not to go super detailed into it, but right off the bat you can tell the type is different, the outer rim with the copyright info is missing, different numbers etc.

So, I bring this all up, and, as expected, the seller denies that it could be a bootleg claiming that he bought it in Africa sometime before the French bootleg came out. He tells me that I could return it for a refund but sans shipping cost. At this point, I just hit up paypal about the whole matter and with a big thanks to Frank & Horseleech, I should have this resolved soon.

To make sure none of you dudes have to deal with this, the name of the seller is vinylistgroove. AVOID!

Comments

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    That's shitty, but at least you're on your way to recovering your funds.

I'm on "the cogs" quite a bit, so thank you for the warning.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    There seems to be a new trend to turn new into vintage, either physically:

Or digitally:

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That's the most half-arsed attempt to age a record I've ever seen ... I'm surprised he can muster the effort to defend himself. Must try harder.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sucks.

Sucks that dude has decent feedback.

Not refunding shipping is fairly standard. Aging boots and passing them off as original - criminal.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Shitty forgery. I would never try to pull that type of fraudulent horse shit on someone, but if I did want to give a new record ring wear, I'd at least use some elbow grease and another record. This clown looks to have used something like steel wool.

• Damn, what an asshole. Thanks for warning us.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Let's jump that fool!!

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Looking for the seller to appear in 1...2....3

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    sweatshop said:
    Looking for the seller to appear in 1...2....3

Not likely.

Sorry to chime in again, but I'm still in disbelief that someone would wreck a boot/re-ish to pass off as an OG. That's one of the scummiest moves I've ever heard of in the "record game".

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Wow... fuck this dude. I just blocked him through discogs.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Does anyone know if vinylistgroove offers a 'new to vintage' service? I have a few reissues I'm looking to give a more authentic look to and this guy is :killin_it:

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    Shitty forgery. I would never try to pull that type of fraudulent horse shit on someone, but if I did want to give a new record ring wear, I'd at least use some elbow grease and another record. This clown looks to have used something like steel wool.

aging expertise revealed :shh:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I see the dude put a Lagos record store stamp on there. If only it had an Analog Africa stamp inside, then you would've known it was legit!

• Just an update:

The seller caved in and gave me a full refund right before Paypal was about to. I guess he didn't want to get kicked off Discogs/Paypal.